• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman Cover on Ebay

31 posts in this topic

So why hasn't the Romita ASM cover on Comiclink sold??

The original asking on it was 25K less than a year ago - and another cover (the one in London) sold in the 30K range - so where are these valuations coming from?!?

Not all covers are the same. I think the one on ebay is better than those other two. You have to consider the storylines, and whether the cover is Romita pencils and inks or just pencils, and the overall quality of composition and condition. Not all Romita ASM covers are the same. There will be wide price variability, just like other artists.

So why hasn't the Romita ASM cover on Comiclink sold??

The original asking on it was 25K less than a year ago - and another cover (the one in London) sold in the 30K range - so where are these valuations coming from?!?

Not all covers are the same. I think the one on ebay is better than those other two. You have to consider the storylines, and whether the cover is Romita pencils and inks or just pencils, and the overall quality of composition and condition. Not all Romita ASM covers are the same. There will be wide price variability, just like other artists.

I love the romita covers but romita did spidey for a very long time and when you add in everything up to 1998 there are many covers. And it makes not much sense putting an arbitrary timeline on when the covers are worth something as opposed to when they are not, when the more time goes by the less difference there seems be, say, between 1970 and 1980. you're talking a few years apart. And no matter what point you pick (say issue 101) there are always going to covers after that point which common sense would indicate are worth more (and not just the obvious ones, like the fact that, say, 121 and 122 would have to be worth more than than 95).

I went to the comiclink site all I could find was this one.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #94 PAGE COVER

JOHN ROMITA

SPIDEY ORIGIN COVER!

Date Listed: 2/16/2007 10:40:04 AM EST

Ask Price: $55,000

Where are the 2 listed ~30K?

I think part of it was the "freshness" factor, i.e. it was not new to the market since it sold about a year ago. If this were the first time this cover came to market in over 30 years I would say it might have had a better chance of hitting reserve.

Fellow posters,

Caveat first. I am NOT a Romita ASM cover collector. However, this thread is highly interesting when you compare the ASM 59 cover to this ASM 74 cover. The difference? The ASM 59 cover is twice up, and Anthony Snyder wants $100K. If my memory serves me correctly, Glenbru almost bought/traded for this cover at SDCC 2005.

However, the seller of this ASM 74 cover has routinely set high reserves that are rarely met when placed on eBay. Granted, I believe that this is the first time that he has listed this cover on eBay, but nearly $45K is a great way to fund a down payment on your house as he wrote in his write-up. With the way the housing market is now, this could easily cover 20% of a down payment.

Ciao!

PRC

Fellow posters,

Caveat first. I am NOT a Romita ASM cover collector. However, this thread is highly interesting when you compare the ASM 59 cover to this ASM 74 cover. The difference? The ASM 59 cover is twice up, and Anthony Snyder wants $100K. If my memory serves me correctly, Glenbru almost bought/traded for this cover at SDCC 2005.

However, the seller of this ASM 74 cover has routinely set high reserves that are rarely met when placed on eBay. Granted, I believe that this is the first time that he has listed this cover on eBay, but nearly $45K is a great way to fund a down payment on your house as he wrote in his write-up. With the way the housing market is now, this could easily cover 20% of a down payment.

Ciao!

PRC

Anthony has had that cover at that price for over 2 years. Eventually the market will catch up to it, and it'll sell. I don't think the twice up carries as much weight as it used to. As time goes by, the image itself will more and more be the determining factor. Some of my favorite covers from JRSR's run are twice up, others are regular size. Currently, we have to pay a premium for the twice up covers, but personally I don't think it's worth it.

I will say, however, that the early covers are nicer because they are simple, straightforward images. As time went by, even before issue 100, he started cluttering up the covers and putting more and more detail into them, which in my opinion made for a worse cover. For that reason, some of the early covers (which happen to be twice up) are nicer than the later ones. But, some of the later ones, such as #69, #75, etc. are MUCH better than many of the early ones. Yes, I'm partly biased because I own the #75, but I wouldn't trade it for most of the twice up examples out there. And, I'm sure Bill Woo feels the same way about the #69.

Fellow posters,

Ciao!

PRC

Anthony has had that cover at that price for over 2 years. Eventually the market will catch up to it, and it'll sell. I don't think the twice up carries as much weight as it used to. As time goes by, the image itself will more and more be the determining factor. Some of my favorite covers from JRSR's run are twice up, others are regular size. Currently, we have to pay a premium for the twice up covers, but personally I don't think it's worth it.

I will say, however, that the early covers are nicer because they are simple, straightforward images. As time went by, even before issue 100, he started cluttering up the covers and putting more and more detail into them, which in my opinion made for a worse cover. For that reason, some of the early covers (which happen to be twice up) are nicer than the later ones. But, some of the later ones, such as #69, #75, etc. are MUCH better than many of the early ones. Yes, I'm partly biased because I own the #75, but I wouldn't trade it for most of the twice up examples out there. And, I'm sure Bill Woo feels the same way about the #69.

Very true . . . big is not always beautiful.

Certainly twice-up covers are very striking to see "in the flesh", but give me quality over size any day.

The ideal scenario, however, is to have a quality twice-up cover! :grin:

I also agree about Romita Snr's artwork becoming more cluttered along the way. I find that with a lot of Marvel's 1970s covers . . . especially when they became 'copy heavy' as well.

Fellow posters,

Ciao!

PRC

Very true . . . big is not always beautiful.

Certainly twice-up covers are very striking to see "in the flesh", but give me quality over size any day.

The ideal scenario, however, is to have a quality twice-up cover! :grin:

I also agree about Romita Snr's artwork becoming more cluttered along the way. I find that with a lot of Marvel's 1970s covers . . . especially when they became 'copy heavy' as well.

I agree completely with your ideal scenario! Unfortunately, these days, the truly great early twice up Romita Sr ASM covers (especially the Romita pencils and inks covers) are locked away, and only available at jaw-dropping prices.