• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats new with the Spidey census?

5 posts in this topic

I just check oud the Spidey census figures from 1 through 50.

Anybody looked recently? Seems to be some changes in rarity as the numbers keep marching larger. frinstance:

Spidey #11 is no rarer in 9.6 than 4 other issues under #20. Issues 2, 3, 4, 15 (!), have fewer copies while none of them have 9.8s

Spidey #4 is now the toughest in the 3 highest grades: there have ben NO 9.8s, NO 9.6s and has a total of only 7 combined 9.4s and 9.6s.and 9.8s This the fewest except for #2 and 3 with 6 and 5 copies total in those 2 grades

7 of the 20 issues have 9.8s, one each for 7 issues.

and heres an interesting chart of the total # copies of each issue in "high grade" as defined as 9.2 or better: (Ive hilighted the lowest 4 not counting #s 1-5 which we've always known were tougher). Looks like good ol #7 is falling behind (in a good way!)

#1 ...15 #11 ...19

#2 ...14 #12 ...21

#3 ...14 #13 ...25

#4 ...18 #14 ...36

#5 ...19 #15 ...22

#6 ...26 #16 ...30

#7 ...17 #17 ...35

#8 ...37 #18 ...30

#9 ...31 #19 ...41

#10 ...35 #20 ...27

I couldnt format more space between the columns. sorry.

heres the urkl to Valiantmans chart:

thanx V-Man!!

I understand what you're saying with the counts of 9.2 and higher,

but the numbers themselves might be related to the number of submissions.

(For instance, what happens in # 7 that would make people submit more? or less?)

The very last column on the URL you posted shows the average grade

received for all copies that were graded CGC 8.0 to 10.0.

I had hoped that the value in that column would help us find the issues

that appear "tougher" in high grade than the surrounding books.

Looking at ASM #1 - #50... the "toughest" from that column are:

# 23 - 8.61

# 27 - 8.63

# 1 - 8.64

# 28 - 8.66

# 7 - 8.68

# 11 - 8.68

...and the average for #1 - #50 is 8.80, with the highest being # 33 at 9.13 (Mile High II?)

So, yes, I think there's some value in the counts themselves,

but eventually we'll also want to look "percentage-wise" to find the gems,

since the number of overall submissions varies from book to book.

I'm glad to see people are enjoying the website! grin.gif

I did notice the last column averaging all the top grades. But since it reduced the disparity to such a small amount, I felt it wasnt dramatic enough of a gauge.

I was aiming my observations at the "gotta have the best copy or at least top 5 copies to sleep at night" collectors. Where for one issue you might need a 9.6, and another a 9.2 would suffice. Ive been watching the census fill in over the past year or two. In the early going, as we all know, the first few 9.6s looked as if they would remain on top. But the numbers keep swelling.

Although, I will admit, as one who thinks there are scores more ungraded HG Spideys in collections, that the growth seems to be slowing. Maybe the total number of HG books (above 9.2) will be manageable, meaning nowhere as inflated eventually as #33 is already. I think it would be chilling to prices (regardless of the 'bottomless' demand for Spideys as all seem to agree here) if there were 30 copies in 9.6 and 4 more in 9.8!!??

Oh I agree with you there... "best copy" is a title that will change hands

many times over the next few years... it's very dangerous to pay big money

for that "best copy" phrase, because it could become "8th best copy" in no time.