• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the best time period to be a comic lover?

26 posts in this topic

I started reading comics in the late 1950's and quickly started looking for back issues of my favorite comics. By the time Marvel comics jumped the shark, oh...let's say shortly after Spiderman 33, I was actively collecting Golden Age. But those first five years or so were the greatest for me, as far as buying books off the racks and being able to find earlier issues. Of course, the stories my dad would tell me about his comic collectiong day leading up his participation in the Battle of the Bulge, sounded simply incredible. For myself, I was around to buy all the major silver age keys like AF15,FF1 etc. and be able to find the ones I had missed, like Adventure 247 , easily and Showcase-4, not quite as easy but still able to.

Anyome on these boards around from 1938-1949 as an active comic book reader?

Anyone here think that their time period was better than mine?

My father was born in 1930, and his uncle worked at a small shop in Sequim, so he gave my father all the return books without logo from around 1938-1945. What a time to be reading.....I show him books like my AA 17 and he knows the story. I picked up a low grade Superman 2 and he remembered the story to theat one too. If only the step mother hadn't pitched the trashy stuff back in the early 50's when my father was on a ship during the Korean War....I'd have some great stuff to read. I guess he had some with full covers too.

Cheers to the lucky generation that got to be at ground zero for collecting. I was a 1970's buyer, with the 20 and 25 cent covers being my ground zero. Strange tales 178, early DC ghosts, Captain America Nomad issues, ASM with the MVS #100 Galactus...... and the likes. I can't complain, the books were fun, and are still favorites of mine.

Great Stories! Great Pics!

I started reading comics in the late 1950's and quickly started looking for back issues of my favorite comics. By the time Marvel comics jumped the shark, oh...let's say shortly after Spiderman 33, I was actively collecting Golden Age. But those first five years or so were the greatest for me, as far as buying books off the racks and being able to find earlier issues. Of course, the stories my dad would tell me about his comic collectiong day leading up his participation in the Battle of the Bulge, sounded simply incredible. For myself, I was around to buy all the major silver age keys like AF15,FF1 etc. and be able to find the ones I had missed, like Adventure 247 , easily and Showcase-4, not quite as easy but still able to.

Anyome on these boards around from 1938-1949 as an active comic book reader?

Anyone here think that their time period was better than mine?

My father was born in 1930, and his uncle worked at a small shop in Sequim, so he gave my father all the return books without logo from around 1938-1945. What a time to be reading.....I show him books like my AA 17 and he knows the story. I picked up a low grade Superman 2 and he remembered the story to theat one too. If only the step mother hadn't pitched the trashy stuff back in the early 50's when my father was on a ship during the Korean War....I'd have some great stuff to read. I guess he had some with full covers too.

Cheers to the lucky generation that got to be at ground zero for collecting. I was a 1970's buyer, with the 20 and 25 cent covers being my ground zero. Strange tales 178, early DC ghosts, Captain America Nomad issues, ASM with the MVS #100 Galactus...... and the likes. I can't complain, the books were fun, and are still favorites of mine.

Great story Collin! :applause:

I don't know if it's better then yours Black Hand, but 1966 to 1968 were wonderful years of collecting & reading comics for me. BTW great story. (thumbs u

I'll never forget reading FF # 55 ,#57 to #60 Spidey # 39 , # 40, #42 ETC. Great Memories , they reside in my collection today , in better shape then the originals .

It takes me back to another time when I pull them out of the boxes. :cloud9:

I don't know if it's better then yours Black Hand, but 1966 to 1968 were wonderful years of collecting & reading comics for me. BTW great story. (thumbs u

I'll never forget reading FF # 55 ,#57 to #60 Spidey # 39 , # 40, #42 ETC. Great Memories , they reside in my collection today , in better shape then the originals .

It takes me back to another time when I pull them out of the boxes. :cloud9:

The first issues I bought off the stands were ASM #41 (The RHINO!) and FF 54, so Puny and I were starting right about the same time. Reading FF 54 through about 75 was mind boggling for a kid new to comic collecting. I guess it would only have been better if I'd started about six or seven issues earlier.

Red