• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the best time period to be a comic lover?

26 posts in this topic

I started reading comics in the late 1950's and quickly started looking for back issues of my favorite comics. By the time Marvel comics jumped the shark, oh...let's say shortly after Spiderman 33, I was actively collecting Golden Age. But those first five years or so were the greatest for me, as far as buying books off the racks and being able to find earlier issues. Of course, the stories my dad would tell me about his comic collectiong day leading up his participation in the Battle of the Bulge, sounded simply incredible. For myself, I was around to buy all the major silver age keys like AF15,FF1 etc. and be able to find the ones I had missed, like Adventure 247 , easily and Showcase-4, not quite as easy but still able to.

Anyome on these boards around from 1938-1949 as an active comic book reader?

Anyone here think that their time period was better than mine?

Early golden age. No speculation, hi print runs, trading comics with your friends, buying used comics for 2c a pop, no pollution, not nearly as much childhood crime, no extreme sexuality for kids...the list goes on and on.

End of discussion.

R.

I started reading comics in the late 50's and got into collecting in the early 60's. So that's kind of my era. But I have to say that I believe the best comics, the most inventive writing was from the early to mid 80's. Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Mat Wagner, Howard Chaykin, to me those guys are amazing. I had stopped reading and buying comics by around 68 and when a friend of mine turned me on to what was going on in the 80's with Watchmen, Electra Assassin, Mage etc. it just blew my mind. So nostalgia aside, I still think that was the most exciting period, certainly for me.

For me, the best times overall were the years prior to discovering the Overstreet Price Guide in 1977 or so. Before that, I was blissfully unaware of things like grade and market value. Old comics--when I could find them--were cool all by themselves, and not because of what they were "worth". Innocence lost!!!

Depends on what you are asking....right now...no now...no now each passing moment is better because there is more stuff available to read. I guess it would be cool to be back in the day buying early FF, Spideys etc for cover price. Besides right now i have money to spend and time to read :headbang:

I can tell you that the worst time to be a collector was in the early - mid 90's. A pile of steaming ****garbage was produced. Variant covers, everyone and their dog was collecting and there was not internet to make collecting easy. Back then I had 2 small stores to chose from so selection was limited and prices were WORST!!

Comic lover

It'll get a hold on you believe it

Like no other

Before you know it youll only buy CGC's

He's a comic lover

It'll take your heart but you wont feel it

It's like no other

And Im just trying to make you see

I started reading comics in the late 1950's and quickly started looking for back issues of my favorite comics. By the time Marvel comics jumped the shark, oh...let's say shortly after Spiderman 33, I was actively collecting Golden Age. But those first five years or so were the greatest for me, as far as buying books off the racks and being able to find earlier issues. Of course, the stories my dad would tell me about his comic collectiong day leading up his participation in the Battle of the Bulge, sounded simply incredible. For myself, I was around to buy all the major silver age keys like AF15,FF1 etc. and be able to find the ones I had missed, like Adventure 247 , easily and Showcase-4, not quite as easy but still able to.

Anyome on these boards around from 1938-1949 as an active comic book reader?

Anyone here think that their time period was better than mine?

My father was born in 1930, and his uncle worked at a small shop in Sequim, so he gave my father all the return books without logo from around 1938-1945. What a time to be reading.....I show him books like my AA 17 and he knows the story. I picked up a low grade Superman 2 and he remembered the story to theat one too. If only the step mother hadn't pitched the trashy stuff back in the early 50's when my father was on a ship during the Korean War....I'd have some great stuff to read. I guess he had some with full covers too.

Cheers to the lucky generation that got to be at ground zero for collecting. I was a 1970's buyer, with the 20 and 25 cent covers being my ground zero. Strange tales 178, early DC ghosts, Captain America Nomad issues, ASM with the MVS #100 Galactus...... and the likes. I can't complain, the books were fun, and are still favorites of mine.

48469-StrangeTales178b.jpg.9516045850db6b0b384fa8ad1a98838d.jpg

48470-Picture324.jpg.0e8e47d8cab53f258a0c38e6120cf987.jpg

48471-Picture325.jpg.c5dde90a6ed94ea96f895abea2227e75.jpg

Now

100% correct.

The most items to choose from. If somebody thinks it was say, 1960, they are limiting themselves to books pre-1960. I think Now is the correct answer as you can still choose any period prior to Now.

I would have to say now also. Most all SIlver and Bronze comics (except high grades and a few keys) are cheaper now than they have been in a while. You can really get a large bang for your buck in todays market if you just love owning and reading comics.