• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA community--label chasers or the ultimate label chasers?

31 posts in this topic

That's the entire point of what I am saying. People buy not because they like or do not like the particular art piece. They buy based on name recognition.

I think the comparison is faulty. It's far too much of a simplification to say people buy based on name alone. The prices matter

In a world where the Schultz piece is priced at it's market value and the no-name artist price was priced at it's market value things might be different.

But to price a Schultz (even a bad one) and a piece by someone you have never heard of (no matter how ornate or wonderful) at $5,000 or more people will choose what they know over what they don't at those price levels.

Price is a function of the artists body of work, popularity and (usually) skills.

People will buy a schultz for $5k because they know what the market is for that artist. For a no-name pricing something at $5k leaves the buyer with nothing to base his monetary decision on other than..."oooh pretty picture." Unless you are talking $5 instead of $5,000 the relative price to market is going to be a concern.

C

I can't begin to count the number of art galleries (not comics illustration) around the world that I have walked into with paintings offered in the 5K range by an artist described as a "local favorite".

I can't begin to count the number of art galleries (not comics illustration) around the world that I have walked into with paintings offered in the 5K range by an artist described as a "local favorite".

And I am sure those pieces are right next to $35k Rockwell sketches, and $25k oil paintings by more well known artists.

I was using the $5k number because that was what was part of the analogy...

BTW...any of those $5k local favorite pieces of Dr. Strange? lol

C

And maybe I was not clear in my other comments or too verbose but this is a supply and demand issue.

More people see and artist, more people know an artist, more people become fans of that artist, more people want art by that artist = more consumers for a limited amount of pieces...that explains the price disparity more than saying "people are buying the name and not the art"....when the art is what made the name in the first place.

C

Well, I'm a complete newb at OA- I will officially own one page on Christmas, as well as two sketches, and a signed print already in my possession. I'm not going to wow too many crowds. I'm all too aware of how small a fish I am in this sea of OA collectors.

That said, all three aspects (Artist, $$$, and Quality) make up why I decided to expand my comic collecting hobby to include OA. Price will be the primary issue as I'm mainly a comic collector- so this is where most of my money will go. From there, the artist and picture quality weight about equally- though a little more in favor of the picture itself. I'm not going to buy a picture that I have no interest in only because it's a good deal and/or by an artist that is well known. Likewise, I'm less likely to buy a picture that I like by an unknown artist when I could buy one of equal appeal for a similar price by an artist I know.

Why? For me, the artist has FAR less to do with increasing the value of the work as he does a connection to a work I love (again, newb here so my collection isn't really worth much financially to begin with). For example- as a kid, I loved Ron Lim's work on X-Men 2099 (let the mockery begin) as well as his stuff with Silver Surfer. So you can imagine how thrilled I was to add a SS full character sketch by Ron to my collection. I've never read the Hobgoblin/Spider-Man mini-series from the late 90s, but owning a page penciled by Ron Frenz, the man responsible for SO many cool CA ASMs... yes!!! The artist is significantly important for this very reason. In fact, this was the major appeal for my getting comics signed by the artists as well as beginning to collect OA- the idea that the creators of comics I love wrote on this issue or drew this picture is what makes me chase that label.

Would I pass on an awesome looking picture by an unknown if the price was right? Probably not, but it just doesn't seem to fit into my collecting goals for this aspect of my collecting hobby.

And maybe I was not clear in my other comments or too verbose but this is a supply and demand issue.

More people see and artist, more people know an artist, more people become fans of that artist, more people want art by that artist = more consumers for a limited amount of pieces...that explains the price disparity more than saying "people are buying the name and not the art"....when the art is what made the name in the first place.

C

So, like I said...name recognition. That is essentially what you wrote just in spread out steps.

And I am sure those pieces are right next to $35k Rockwell sketches, and $25k oil paintings by more well known artists.

I was using the $5k number because that was what was part of the analogy...

BTW...any of those $5k local favorite pieces of Dr. Strange? lol

C

That is why I used the 5k figure as well.

My point was, that one can find expensive pieces of art for sale in galleries around the world by artists known only in their particular region --- by artists without a national, let alone international, cache --- by artists popular to a state, province, parish, small county, city, town, village. In locating such pieces, there is little need to go searching, they are available ubiquitously to the casual gallery window shopper.

It is also common in the art world for so-called expensive pieces to sell to buyers, consumers, decorators --- both professional & otherwise --- who never inquire about the signature at the bottom & don't particularly care. The new owner loves the piece on its perceived merits: its size, shape, mood, theme, colors, subject.

How many oils of palmetto hammocks sell in Florida galleries all year long for 5K to buyers without any idea, care or concern for the artist's name? Many. How many water colors of sailboats? Very many.

There can be little doubt that the comic illustration art world follows the name ---chases the label --- much more than the world of art that I have described. I don't knock this, just mention it as a fact of life because it seems to be KoR's main thesis.

It is curious to note that there was a recent auction wherein a fraudulent Rembrandt fetched a surprisingly large sum though the auctioneer described it as a fake.

It is curious to note that there was a recent auction wherein a fraudulent Rembrandt fetched a surprisingly large sum though the auctioneer described it as a fake.

Actually, the painting was attributed to "a follower of Rembrandt" whereas the buyer was convinced it was by the master himself, hence the price fetched a huge sum compared to the estimate, but far less than what an authenticated Rembrandt would have sold for.

Actually, the painting was attributed to "a follower of Rembrandt" whereas the buyer was convinced it was by the master himself, hence the price fetched a huge sum compared to the estimate, but far less than what an authenticated Rembrandt would have sold for.

Thanks. It was an interesting story. I'll have to re-google it. It isn't entirely relevant to this discussion but I mentioned it in an effort to undercut my own argument.

There is certainly little doubt that the high end fine art market chases labels too: best evidence being this story. Does this demonstrate a lack of sophistication per KoR? Or should we examine who the buyer is: collector/enthusiast or professional speculator/dealer as another poster suggests?

Well if Barry Kitson is name recognition then I'm in that boat as that's basically all I collect.

Don't have any idea,would never touch his art, won't even bother googling. lol

:jokealert: