• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impact on Prices For Art Published in Europe but not the U.S.

2 posts in this topic

Putting exchange rates aside, if art is published only in Europe but not in the United States, what impact would it have on the price?

Many U.S. companies reprint their flagship titles (i.e., Spiderman, X-Men, Batman, Mickey Mouse, etc.) in Europe but will sometimes commission a brand new cover from an artist. The cover art will only be published in Europe and not in the U.S.

I believe Romita Sr., Gil Kane, Larry Leiber and others all did cover art for U.K. only publications. Art by Carlos Pacheco and Roger Cruz come to mind for comics published in Spain. The quality of the artistic content is also the same.

Any thoughts as to whether the price range of the art will be the same, higher or lower for the artist?

Cheers!

N

It seems to have a big impact on price. US buyers will cough up a large chunk of change for a special comic book cover -- but they'll pay the most for the cover of THE comic book that really mattered in their life.

A European cover of a US-based title will bring some money but nothing like what we'd pay for the "real" cover. And, from my limited experience, the European covers often seem to be drawn by a lesser talent (I haven't seen those by Kane or Romita) and often seem to be of lesser artistic quality.