• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To coin or not to coin - is there a term for collecting and/or studying comics?

17 posts in this topic

I am posting this question here in the Golden Age section instead of the General section because I am looking to initiate a serious intellectual discussion on the topic.

Is there a term that describes collecting and/or studying of comics (and I am speaking broadly, i.e., comic books, comic strips, original art, etc).

For example: Philately. The collection and study of postage stamps and related items.

Wikipedia notes:

The coining of the word "philately" in its French form has been circumstantially attributed to Georges Herpin in the publication Le Collectionneur de timbres-postes, Vol. 1, November 15, 1864. It is formed from the Greek words philos (friend) and ateleia (exempt from charge, or "franked"), which is a stretch to relate to the study of stamps, but the alternatives of "timbrophily" & "timbrology" or "timbrologist" never caught on.

The origin of philately is in the observation that in a pile of stamps all appearing to be the same type, closer examination reveals different kinds of paper, different watermarks embedded in the paper, variations in color shades, different perforations, and other kinds of differences. Comparison with records of postal authorities may or may not show that the variations were intentional, which leads to further inquiry as to how the changes could have happened, and why. To make things more interesting, thousands of forgeries have been produced over the years, some of them very good, and only a thorough knowledge of philately gives any hope of detecting the fakes.

Or for coins and paper money we have numismatics.

Wikipedia notes:

(Lat. numisma, nomisma, a coin; from the Greek, derived from voµi eiv, to use according to law), is the scientific study of currency and its history in all its varied forms. While numismatists are often characterized as students or collectors of coins, the discipline also includes a much larger study of payment media used to resolve debts and the exchange of goods.

But what about for comics? I have not identified any descriptive term. Is there one?

If not, should there be one? Any thoughtful suggestions? :popcorn:

2079773158_41224e1515_o.jpg

Greetings Panelologists,

I went looking for an early fanzine that might describe Jerry's reason for picking that term but didn't find what I wanted. I did find quite a few issues of the fanzine that he published entitled "Panelologist". I think the term may have seemed pretentious and met with some flak but he stuck with it. He reminded me of the term in one of the last letters I received from him. I noted in later issues he refered to the term as describing someone who "collects and indexes comics". I think the term is a good description. Since Mutt and Jeff started telling their stories in a multipanel format, we have enjoyed the art of telling stories with pictures and words in a way that moves along panel to panel (sometimes action packed) and pleases the mind and eye.

bb

If not, should there be one? Any thoughtful suggestions? :popcorn:

I wonder if the terms for stamp and coin collecting were created because there was a descriptive need -- or a commercial one. Give something a fancy name, call it big business and ask people to spend lots of money.

My cynical 12¢

Dennis

For what it's worth, from the 2nd ed. OGG:

PANELOLOGIST: One who researches comic books and/or comic strips.

PANNAPICTAGRAPHIST: One who collects comic books.

Hey Giff........... :hi:

PS.....I don't think I would have the stomach to tell people I am a pannapictagraphist :P

PS.....I don't think I would have the stomach to tell people I am a pannapictagraphist :P

You sell too many to be a pannapictagraphist.

You might be categorized as a pannafliptagraphist!

as a dealer, you must be known as a pannahowmuchcanImakeonthiscollectionbecausemymortgageisdueagraphist!!

as a dealer, you must be known as a pannahowmuchcanImakeonthiscollectionbecausemymortgageisdueagraphist!!

I wear many hats. :whistle:

what mortgage?....the man only pays cash for houses!

what mortgage?....the man only pays cash for houses!

If only it were true...