• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1 Cover

7 posts in this topic

Hi there

Been experiencing problems posting to this site in recent weeks, but that's all fixed now . . .

I'd like to highlight to the group a project my American friend Lloyd Braddy has been helping me with . . .

A couple of years ago, I bought from Ken Danker (MONSTER'S COLLECTIBLES) the original cover art to EC's Picto-Fiction magazine CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1 by Joe Orlando.

All that originally existed of this cover was Orlando's line art and two separate color overlays (one red, one yellow) positioned over the corpse. No logo or caption box existed (which, presumably, were incorporated during the printing process at time of publication). Since buying the cover, I'd always wanted to have the original art look 'complete' - by having the CRIME ILLUSTRATED logo and "Introducing . . .PICTO-FICTION" caption box re-created and integrated with the original.

733m5x3.jpg

Joe Orlando's line-art

80nil3c.jpg

Artwork with red and yellow overlays in place

Thanks to Lloyd, who is technically superb with printing processes by way of profession, and a tip of the old hat to Ray Cuthbert (who had a copy of the original mag on hand for scanning purposes), Lloyd was able to provide two possible solutions for marrying the original art with the re-created caption material. One idea was a colour-matched print (reproduced at original art size) of the full cover . . . which would then have the central figure cut-out . . . and positioned over the original line-art and red/yellow overlays. The idea was excellent in theory, but very difficult to perform - as all the blood patterns surrounding the central figure of the corpse proved a real s.o.b to cut around! The next option was to incorporate a clear mylar overlay that Lloyd had used a pigment printer to reproduce the caption material onto. This, to my mind, provided the best solution. Taking the mylar sheet, the logo and caption box were trimmed close to the text . . . and positioned underneath the red and yellow overlays. The clear elements of the mylar and overlays allowed the full board (with all imperfections, including some use of white-out) to be seen in total. The end-result, I think, is particularly striking (especially when seen, "in the flesh" at the original art's whopping size of 20" x 16")!

I was over in Orland, Florida a couple of months ago, and whilst over there I managed to meet-up with Lloyd in person (his family live in the area).

We had a long discussion on the subject of re-creating missing stats for covers or splash pages. It was jointly noted that many of us will shell-out large sums of cash for original artworks that may have missing logo or text elements and -ironically - observed that some collectors will use the cheap and shoddy solution of using a simple photocopy (enlarged to original art size), taken from the printed comic-book, to 'restore' the work. The end-result nearly always looking a huge disappointment . . .

Currently, Lloyd is helping me re-create missing logos for a lot of my Harvey covers. So, anyone out there looking for similar help, perhaps he's open to business?

The 'restored' (?) CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1 cover is now available for viewing in my CAF Galleries (EC Cover Gallery).

Would be interested in hearing members' views on the end-result . . .

that is beautiful!

Thanks . . . and for those not interested enough to look at the completed image in my CAF Gallery, here it is:

730l9x5.jpg

Original artwork with color overlays and Lloyd Braddy's re-created logo and caption box in place

that is beautiful!

Thanks . . . and for those not interested enough to look at the completed image in my CAF Gallery, here it is:

My first impression was "That's frickin' awesome!" NICE!! :applause:

I saw this when Phong Le used to own the cover (prior to that, it was owned by Saul Zimmerman). The grid lines were always a little distracting, but the overlays help with that. The way that the logos were created really complement the original overlays. Good job!

I saw this when Phong Le used to own the cover (prior to that, it was owned by Saul Zimmerman). The grid lines were always a little distracting, but the overlays help with that. The way that the logos were created really complement the original overlays. Good job!

I don't mind the grid lines which, for me, add to the interest on how the Picto-Fiction originals were illustrated/created.

I remember Phong owning the cover before Ken Danker bought it from him. At the time, I was contemplating buying it directly from Phong - but Ken beat me to the punch!

With something like this, not everyone (it would seem) has the impetus to want to try to present the artwork as the completed published image (with logo/caption material present). I always saw possibilities for doing so, and I like to think the end-result greatly enhances the work.

As previously mentioned, Lloyd Braddy's currently helping me restore a number of Harvey covers (that have missing logos, etc). As and when the work's complete, I'll post 'before' and 'after' images on this site . . .