• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eastman/Laird TMNT art on Ebay

9 posts in this topic

I'd say a lot less than 4k. As I've said before, "the art doesn't matter so much" with regard to the value. Because it is unpublished, I don't think any big spenders are going to touch it.

However, in my opinion, if I saw it in a store priced at 4k, I would not think that it is an unreasonable price.

Well, geez, M.R.R. is bidding on it, doesn't that mean it's going to hit $100k in the future? Hope his prep for writing the bar is going ... actually, I don't care.

Really, this like a vintage commission piece. I've never seen it published anywhere, though I'm sure Chuck C. would know better than I, and the market for unpublished work is never robust.

I would say $1500, but if someone goes as high as $2500 it won't surprise me. If you really wanted an Eastman/Laird published wrap cover you could have had one. I guess Steve Donnelly moved the #5. How much under the ridiculous ask, that's the question.

How does Donnelly move any of his pieces is my question. I have sent him two or three emails about two or three pieces in the past, and none were replied to. As unprofessional as it gets.

he doesn't like dealing with snotty nosed kids :baiting:

Interesting piece. Can't say I've ever seen it before. It looks like Laird pencils to me, as Eastman's style is pretty different. As most know, Eastman and Laird alternated penciling the covers, and they each were quite different. Issues #1, 3, 5, etc. were Eastman, while 2, 4, 6, etc. were Laird. Personally, I have preferred the Eastman art.

I'll be watching to see where it goes, but personally am not interested in it myself. I would value it in the 2.5K range. It would be more if it were published or recognizable.

First of all - very neat piece. For those who have the Turtles Artobiography, on page 21 you'll find the original layouts for these costume designs. Kevin states in the book "At some point or shortly after finishing the first issue we were already thinking about changing the guys outfits for futher adventures, (if we ever had the chance to do another one) and these are some of my concepts. Some of the ideas came from traditional Japanese styles, but it is pretty obvious the that the new Raphael outfit was inspired by the 'New Spiderman' look conceived around that time. Ultimately, we never really used any of the concepts-- just a piece or two here and there-- but Pete did do a great painting of the guys in these costumes for the booth of the first comic show we ever did."

The original designs were dated 1984 while this piece is dated 1985 which tells me think that they toyed around with the idea of changing the costumes for at least a year.

I'm not sure this piece was ever intended as a cover (as stated in the auction description) however. None of the other early covers that Eastman and Laird did had this degree of shading on them. The duo-tone art was usually only done for interiors. The early covers were done without shading so that they could color them later. Likely it was just done as a pin-up to showcase the new costume idea.

I'm not sure what this one will go for. Typical published panel page interiors from this timeframe are going for $1-2k now (thanks in part to large sum paid for issue #1). Because this is unpublished, I would expect it to end up in that same range. But who knows - early Turtles art is super scarce and there are so few sales, it's hard to gauge the market.