• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since it's Halloween, What's your favorite Horror Title?

26 posts in this topic

Since it's Halloween, What's your favorite Horror Title?

I read Hellblazer and also try to collect 1st Series Tales from the Crypt (when I can afford it!). Love those old Johnny Craig covers!!!! I've got all the reprints so I could read the stories (some are great, some are terrible).

Also, used to buy Werewolf By Night back issues when I first started collecting.

Chris

Vertigo's Sandman..not strictly a Horror title, but it had very scary moments.

And I may be the only one, but I loved Son of Satan and Marvel Spotlight on Son of Satan.... heck I even liked the Warren Ellis 'Hellstorm' series...

Daimon Hellstorm rulez !

They ain't worth much but my moneys on them cool Pacific Comics issues of Twisted Tales from the early eighties when I was a kid these were the greatest they had gore and guts with some of the greatest horror aritsts(including all of'em written by Bruce Jones) in the medium on high gloss paper, they swore, had sex and all the hot chicks showed their boobies... Gott'a love'em. I'm actually surprised they ain't worth a bit more, but I guess Pacific printed a pile of them... A personal fave from my childhood was Three-Dimensional Alien Worlds, where you got all that and it was in eye popping 3-D, written by Bruce Jones with the first printed art ever by Art Adams... A highly under-rated issue. Pick one up and I guarrantee you will be hooked. Bruce Jones is finally getting his day in court with the new Hulk and to think he's been putting out genius stuff for well over twenty years... Good on him.

DC put out a few good ones interspersed within it's House Of Secrets and House Of Mystery lines in the 70's, but other than the great Wrightson covers the inside stories ended up a little drier than they needed to be.

Marvel tried pretty hard during this time as well, but only came up with some cool covers and [!@#%^&^] stories with the odd gem here and there.

Warren was pretty good and under-rated for years with Eerie and Creepy, some good artwork and great stories, definatly worth checking out while they are still somewhat affordable.

But, I still can't get me enough of them old EC's in my collection... The greatest covers ever made by man... woo-hoo. Just browsing the covers of my tales from the crypt run just gives me goosebumps every time. Love that stuff... Still need the 2 3-D issues in higher grade(with glasses attached perfurably) if anyone out there has them in VF or higher please PM me and we can work somthing out.

Horror comics can be fun and cool all at the same time, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

'best

Bronzejunkie

My favorite Tales from the Crypt cover (I own) is issue #38 (I think?). It was the cover that was used in the famed "comics trial" of the 50's. Crazed Maniac weilding an Axe! Scary Stuff! I found this book at a show and picked up a decent restored copy. I don't usually travel the restored road, but this was too sweet to pass on!

Chris

^what he said. Those Twisted Tales were great. I still have a run tucked away somewhere. Had that crazy Bernie Wrightson cover with the axe murderer chasing two little kids while wearing a rope strung with severed heads shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Some of the Warren stuff was pretty good. I haven't read enough.

Anything that Bernie Wrightson actually drew in the 70s and early 80s is pretty cool. E.g., Swamp Thing with Len Wein or Freak Show w- Bruce Jones in Heavy Metal.

ECs take the cake though. Never been topped, as far as I'm concerned.

My vote goes for Moore's Swamp Things as well. Issues 25-39 are some really good issues (although 32 isn't that scary grin.gif). Pre-code horror can be pretty interesting as well - with EC and Atlas titles getting the nod.

Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew.... man that book was scary...

Lots of good titles have already been named and I agree with those. But I would like to add Amazing Fantasy. The horror story with the Egyptian mummy in #15 gets me every time. It's a shame I can't afford a really nice copy cuz of some other character in that book. It's like being a huge Jerry Koosman fan and not being able to afford his rookie card because of some other joker that's on it. smirk.gif

In all honesty I don't know... Most AF15 reprints only bother with that 11-page story about the insect-guy.

I reread it every time I pick up a low-grade copy of AF15, but I am not certain where or if it's been reprinted. Anybody know?

lighthouse,

insect-guy? confused.gif HELLO mcfly, spiders are an arachnid not an insect. insects have six legs, spiders have eight legs...what did you do? fall asleep in biology class? tongue.gif or were you to busy reading your comic books? wink.gif do you have a reading copy of AF 15? if so, can you scan the pages and post it? grin.gif

pimpy

Nah... I spent most of my biology class throwing dissecting probes into the ceiling tiles to see if they'd stick... smile.gif

I just sold my latest reading copy in September, but I bet Steve's got two or three copies going through the grading process he could scan for us... cool.gif

Somebody here is bound to have a copy that isn't encased in plastic... tongue.gif