• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.15

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

309 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

71 posts in this topic

Kubert needs to go. Not a great artist by any stretch. Had some great pieces, but his overall body of work was pretty average.

thats true for all of them..... youre only talking about personal taste.... and isnt ALL of OUR work summed up in the same words?

Kubert's early work is a bit sketchy but he put it all together in the late 50s and has maintained a very high standard since then.

Kubert needs to go. Not a great artist by any stretch. Had some great pieces, but his overall body of work was pretty average.

thats true for all of them..... youre only talking about personal taste.... and isnt ALL of OUR work summed up in the same words?

Kubert's early work is a bit sketchy but he put it all together in the late 50s and has maintained a very high standard since then.

In interviews he admits to being not a little embarrassed about his early work. However he is one of those rare artists who got consistently better with age.

I've never heard someone refer to Kubert as "average." I've heard of people not liking his style, but average? To me he's got one of the most unique styles of any artist: a raw, sketched quality that really bursts with motion and beauty.

To be honest, when it comes right down to it, I don't think I prefer anyone left on the list to him. Maybe Kirby at his best.

Kubert had grit in his style and his story telling was impeccable. Man could he draw clouds! Sincerely, when reading Enemy Ace I felt like the skies were as much a character as his foes. His penciling is much rougher than others on the list which I don't really think is an accident considering the "human" nature of the characters he was breathing life into. Kubert for President 2008.

I've never heard someone refer to Kubert as "average." I've heard of people not liking his style, but average? To me he's got one of the most unique styles of any artist: a raw, sketched quality that really bursts with motion and beauty.

To be honest, when it comes right down to it, I don't think I prefer anyone left on the list to him. Maybe Kirby at his best.

Kubert had grit in his style and his story telling was impeccable. Man could he draw clouds! Sincerely, when reading Enemy Ace I felt like the skies were as much a character as his foes. His penciling is much rougher than others on the list which I don't really think is an accident considering the "human" nature of the characters he was breathing life into. Kubert for President 2008.

The ink was dripping from his brush when he drew Enemy Ace but his DC War, Viking Prince and Hawkman pages are all superb.

I should have be more specific as I don't know that any say that they "hated" drawing superheros but it was pretty clear superheros were low on the preference list. I was just referring to GA/SA artists (typing too late at night and left out "artists") so yes these would be pre-Image. Having read as many interviews as I have (hundreds) and having met dozens of artists I'm pretty comfortable without the salt, but your mileage may vary

My point was simply that until relatively recently, and particularly back in the 1930s-1960s, many artists who ended up working in comics viewed it as something beneath them, because they aspired to be fine artists, commercial artists or even comic strip artists. They ended up working in comics because it was the only paying art work they could get, and perhaps within the comics field working on superheroes was considered the lowest of the low for various reasons, snobbery undoubtedly being one of them.

The ink was dripping from his brush when he drew Enemy Ace but his DC War, Viking Prince and Hawkman pages are all superb.

I would agree with the last part of this. I liked his early Brave & Bold stuff, his Hawkman stuff, and some of the war stuff, especially Our Armys from 120 - 160. I hated his late Silver Flash covers, and really didn't like alot of the stuff from that time period. I just really don't like the heavy ink, rough style of both Kubert and Kirby. The grey tone stuff really worked well with his style. I would never, ever consider him a better artist than Russ Heath and probably not better than Murphy Anderson either, but hey, to each his own.

they are both phenomenally talented artists. One just draws in a far more realistic style. Many people like realism. It looks harder than looser more fluid styles. But it really isnt.

Unless you do try to do it as well as Heath...

Of the two, I think Kubert is the better story teller but if I had to choose, I'd take both!

they are both phenomenally talented artists. One just draws in a far more realistic style. Many people like realism. It looks harder than looser more fluid styles. But it really isnt.

Unless you do try to do it as well as Heath...

Of the two, I think Kubert is the better story teller but if I had to choose, I'd take both!

I love em both, I wasnt dissing realistic styles. Just pointing out (again?) that guys who draw realistically/photographically are often considered "better" than looser artists because the looser styles appear to them as rougher and less in control and inferior... when its not true. That Kubert Enemy Ace is an amazing piece. Look at all the varying brushstroke thicknesses he used. AND, it even includes Heathian crosshatching on the face. A great Kubert piece!