• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide is looking for feedback.

94 posts in this topic

4 different guides;

Plat/Gold/Atomic guide

Atomic/Silver/Bronze guide

Bronze/Copper/Modern guide

CGC prices guide

any book that exists in more than one section goes in each applicable book.

use the G / VG / F / VF / NM- pricing structure for the Plat/Gold/Atomic guide, and a

VG / F / VF / NM- / NM pricing structure for the Atomic/Silver/Bronze guide, and a

F / VF / NM- / NM / NM/M pricing structure for the B/C/M guide.

4 different guides;

Plat/Gold/Atomic guide

CGC prices guide

use the G / VG / F / VF / NM- pricing structure for the Plat/Gold/Atomic guide, and a

VG / F / VF / NM- / NM pricing structure for the Atomic/Silver/Bronze guide, and a

not a bad idea!!

4 different guides;

Plat/Gold/Atomic guide

CGC prices guide

Doubt it would work. Maybe they'd sell a couple different sets to the same collector but overall all they'd be doing is cutting up their existing buyers. And cause an uproar that all data isn't in one place forcing collectors to spend more...

We're a pretty cheap bunch us collectors unless it's a grail...

Jim

I too would hate to see Overstreet go strictly digital. That idea is probably still 5-10 years too early but by that time more people will be carrying around REAL portable computers... bigger than a PDA but smaller than a laptop.

I like having Overstreet in a "book" but admit that there is plenty of drek in there... thing is... drek is not equal to all. One person's drek is another person's loved collection, and to pick and choose exclusions would be bad for the hobby.

If there is any consideration to state less than cover price for drek, then maybe it would be easier to denote "full run" prices for it. Displayed something like this:

"Greggy Super-Sonic issues 1-20 Full Run $1.00"

Of course that's just an example, but I'm sure you understand my point. (thumbs u

Not only would this save space but in the case of my Greggy example it would show that they are indeed essentially worthless.

Take big-little books out of the comic book price guide.

Give us an index in the back so we can find useful information easily like grading standards and restoration discussions. Or put them in the Table of Contents.

You know those little letter tabs on the top corners of the odd-numbered pages? Put them on the top corners of the even-numbered pages so lefties can riffle through the book looking for a certain letter also. C'mon guys. This is a small design change and would make 40% or so of the population really happy.

I know you're not going to do it, but I agree that comics worth less than cover price should be given a "nominal value" notation and not be priced at cover.

4 different guides;

Plat/Gold/Atomic guide

CGC prices guide

:sumo: Sal and I don't need to post separately of late :grin:

4 different guides;

Plat/Gold/Atomic guide

CGC prices guide

Doubt it would work. Maybe they'd sell a couple different sets to the same collector but overall all they'd be doing is cutting up their existing buyers. And cause an uproar that all data isn't in one place forcing collectors to spend more...

We're a pretty cheap bunch us collectors unless it's a grail...

Jim

Make it a 4-volume set then . . . :grin:

Every year as our staff works on assembling The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, it's readily apparent to us that there is a lot of data, much of it contradictory, to sift through concerning prices. When one looks at the assembled market reports from traditional comic book dealers, high-end auction houses, serious collectors and online or eBay dealers, it is definitely enough to make even an experienced hand take pause.

Add to the equation the perceived differences in value between "raw" or uncertified comics and the same issue and grade of those that have been certified by an independent third party service such as CGC, then the confusion in the marketplace becomes even more apparent.

At this point, we believe the demand for regular pricing updates and market analysis to supplement the annual Guide is clear. What is not so defined, though, is what form such updates should take.

We need to hear from you on this. A few years ago, we published a periodical called Overstreet's Comic Price Review. During its short run, we were able to correctly anticipate and document market trends including the accelerated disparity in high-end prices, the dramatic spike in interest in Bronze Age and Copper Age comics, the revitalization of interest in Conan, the surge in variant covers offered by current new comics publishers, the sustained fan interest in early and very late Valiant comics and even the appeal of Ultimate Spider-Man.

For whatever reason, though, the publication didn't sustain its readership. We'd like to believe that it was simply ahead of its time, let's face it, CGC just certified their one millionth comic and the market for certified books is now definitely more mature - but the truth is the reason doesn't matter. In the end, we weren't serving the audience well enough.

We learned a lot from this.

We put what we learned into the deliberations surrounding the most recent edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide. As you'll no doubt recall, those were some lively discussions! Everyone from comics historians to the most experienced dealers and from neophyte collectors to comics professionals participated, offering us a tremendously diverse group of suggestions and discussion points.

That's what we'd like to hear from you. What is the best way to get updated pricing and market information to you? How would you like to read it? How can we make this work?

Keeping the Guide up-to-date is a relentless process. As always, we hope you'll join us.

Please feel free to email us your suggestions at feedback@gemstonepub.com . Look for the discussion in Scoop over the coming weeks and months.

On behalf of Bob Overstreet and everyone at Gemstone Publishing, we want to wish you Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and the very best throughout the New Year.

hm

Jim

What Overstreet SHOULD be asking is NOT HOW to get us the information we want, but rather, HOW Overstreet will assemble the information. And from WHOM! GPA is already doing this in a timely and efficient manner, online and at our fingertips. But, its info is limited to only the venues they are allowed to gather sales info from. So, to Overstreet, I ask, from whom will YOU be compiling this info? If its just dealers phoning or emailing you "sales" figures, GPA is already there. Overstreet will have to duplicate GPA data PLUS add Comiclink and everyone else GPA cant get.

Otherwise, why worry about HOW you will get us info we a) already have, or b) is only "anecdotal".

Every year as our staff works on assembling The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, it's readily apparent to us that there is a lot of data, much of it contradictory, to sift through concerning prices. When one looks at the assembled market reports from traditional comic book dealers, high-end auction houses, serious collectors and online or eBay dealers, it is definitely enough to make even an experienced hand take pause.

Add to the equation the perceived differences in value between "raw" or uncertified comics and the same issue and grade of those that have been certified by an independent third party service such as CGC, then the confusion in the marketplace becomes even more apparent.

At this point, we believe the demand for regular pricing updates and market analysis to supplement the annual Guide is clear. What is not so defined, though, is what form such updates should take.

We need to hear from you on this. A few years ago, we published a periodical called Overstreet's Comic Price Review. During its short run, we were able to correctly anticipate and document market trends including the accelerated disparity in high-end prices, the dramatic spike in interest in Bronze Age and Copper Age comics, the revitalization of interest in Conan, the surge in variant covers offered by current new comics publishers, the sustained fan interest in early and very late Valiant comics and even the appeal of Ultimate Spider-Man.

For whatever reason, though, the publication didn't sustain its readership. We'd like to believe that it was simply ahead of its time, let's face it, CGC just certified their one millionth comic and the market for certified books is now definitely more mature - but the truth is the reason doesn't matter. In the end, we weren't serving the audience well enough.

We learned a lot from this.

We put what we learned into the deliberations surrounding the most recent edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide. As you'll no doubt recall, those were some lively discussions! Everyone from comics historians to the most experienced dealers and from neophyte collectors to comics professionals participated, offering us a tremendously diverse group of suggestions and discussion points.

That's what we'd like to hear from you. What is the best way to get updated pricing and market information to you? How would you like to read it? How can we make this work?

Keeping the Guide up-to-date is a relentless process. As always, we hope you'll join us.

Please feel free to email us your suggestions at feedback@gemstonepub.com . Look for the discussion in Scoop over the coming weeks and months.

On behalf of Bob Overstreet and everyone at Gemstone Publishing, we want to wish you Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and the very best throughout the New Year.

hm

Jim

What Overstreet SHOULD be asking is NOT HOW to get us the information we want, but rather, HOW Overstreet will assemble the information. And from WHOM! GPA is already doing this in a timely and efficient manner, online and at our fingertips. But, its info is limited to only the venues they are allowed to gather sales info from. So, to Overstreet, I ask, from whom will YOU be compiling this info? If its just dealers phoning or emailing you "sales" figures, GPA is already there. Overstreet will have to duplicate GPA data PLUS add Comiclink and everyone else GPA cant get.

Otherwise, why worry about HOW you will get us info we a) already have, or b) is only "anecdotal".

I think that their should be some connection with a hardcover and dowloadable version. I mean why should I spend double to have both? Plus with a downloadable ones, there could be a patch for halfway thru the year.

Stuff like walking dead not being in the book or priced right in the guide is stupid. A popular modern that continues to move up in price.

Separating Victorian/Platinum and BLB into different books saves 50 pages or so. BLB might be able to handle its own sep pub but I doubt Vic/Plat will due to lack of interest. Maybe make both online for a fee.

Further, I support run pricing at less than cover price as well. Nobody gets cover price for most of the books from the early nineties. It serves a purpose of having them in the OSPG for reference sake, which is 1/2 the reason I get an OSPG anyway, and lowers the price to reflect the market.

I don't think there needs to be more detail at the top range of indiv books. They're just too few and far between. Even GPA can be misleading on ultra HG books. Just b/c 1 9.8 sold for $x doesn't mean the next will (PQ, QP, no longer top census, etc.).

As to how to update during the middle of the publishing cycle, (shrug) The people who are most interested in that information will be those devoted collector/dealers who frequent these boards. As noted above, GPA serves that purpose to an extent but not completely. Further, I'm not sure you will find a lot of cooperation from people on updating very current upward pricing trends. There's too much value to that information in the form of arbitrage buying and selling by full and part time dealers. 2c

Take big-little books out of the comic book price guide.

Give us an index in the back so we can find useful information easily like grading standards and restoration discussions. Or put them in the Table of Contents.

You know those little letter tabs on the top corners of the odd-numbered pages? Put them on the top corners of the even-numbered pages so lefties can riffle through the book looking for a certain letter also. C'mon guys. This is a small design change and would make 40% or so of the population really happy.

I know you're not going to do it, but I agree that comics worth less than cover price should be given a "nominal value" notation and not be priced at cover.

The BLBs have to go. NOW. You just beat me to the post! :grin:

I agree with everything else you said, too.....

The whole "rare" vs. "scarce" issue should be revisited. I mean is Silver Surfer #4 really scarce?!

Agreed. Especially now that the Internet makes finding certain books very easy. Metro has six copies of Silver Surfer #4 listed for sale, all between 7.5 and 9.4. That's neither rare nor scarce.