• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very 1st Ghost Rider and Origin - Long Lost Gem from 1949

8 posts in this topic

When we think of the Ghost Rider more recent collectors immediatley point to Marvel Spotlight #5 and his following appearances in that title, the 1970's Ghost Rider series, and a host of other appearances in the Bronze age of comics. A few collectors remember the earlier series that Marvel produced in 1967 but it is the Rider called Johnny Blaze that nearly all collectors relate to.

Some of the older (or should I say "more mature") collectors like myself remember the stunning covers illustrated by Frank Frazetta which brought this title to our attention. They were simply awesome! Yet nothing really tied the past to the present, merging these two distant characters into one panoramic story, until the recent Ghost Rider movie starring Nicholas Cage and Sam Elliott.

It was in this block buster movie that the story was told to an entire new audience building the present Ghost Rider on the foundation of the original Ghost Rider and brilliantly merging the two heroes into a single and well constructed story.

I have asked several customers (who collect this title) when the very first appearance of the Ghost Rider appeared and not a single one of them knew. Some guesses ranged from the 1960's Marvel series, to Ghost Rider #1 published by Magazine Enterprises in 1950. Not a single collector was aware that his first appearance was in Tim Holt #11 from 1949.

This issue contains the first ever appearance of the Ghost Rider. It also has his first cover appearance and his origin in a six page interior story. Much like Detective Comics #27 (which featured the 1st Batman cover and story) this book is The issue that started it all.

Below is a look at the cover and two interior page snipes for your enjoyment.

48758-GhostRiderC.jpg.585e72a1e0a6bce34783157304224987.jpg

48759-GhostRiderB.jpg.421b27e7b358549e802088716a303143.jpg

I didn't realize that was the 1st appearance either. Thanks for informing.

What's funny is how the original representation outlined his face... sans mask.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6k5nsjc.jpg

Nice to see your slabbed copy and some interiors....I guess I'm in the minority, as I did know it was the GR's first appearance. I have quite a few of the Tim Holt issues and the GR ME series....and they are a treasure that many are unaware of.

Thanks for sharing.

589a944a1fab0_48941-TimHolt12VFtoVFoffwhite.jpg.960ae8fa67dd2119bb20d8960877b614.jpg

589a944a23be0_48942-TimHolt14VFtoVFoffwhitetowhite.jpg.9622c955ebabed1efd088274eb56b981.jpg