• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.16

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

267 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

73 posts in this topic

Adams is a BA artist.

In total agreement! I love Neal Adams work, but his greatest work was the Silver Age GL/GR Avengers and Batman! IMO, did he have great silver age too, yes, but his importance is in the bronze age. :sumo:

I guarantee you that if you did a survey of SA and BA artists and asked them Kane or Buscema, Buscema would win hands-down.

I highly doubt this...

Me too.

I had this same discussion with one of the artists on this initial list who clearly preferred Buscema over Kane. I expect others would feel the same way.

Adams is a BA artist.

In total agreement! I love Neal Adams work, but his greatest work was the Silver Age GL/GR Avengers and Batman! IMO, did he have great silver age too, yes, but his importance is in the bronze age. :sumo:

I disagree, his silver work is what helped lead to the change in comics which became bronze. You have to look at his work as the main cover artist for DC in the late 60's, not just his pages. Revolutionary & gritty stuff.

oh, and by the way, in October 1967, Gil Kane had the following credits;

( snip )

i guess having 77.5 pages and a cover that month might have limited his ability to knock out a better cover

John Buscema was also a workhorse toward the late 60s. Buscema was not only drawing Silver Surfer #4 (a classic book according to most fans {ahem} ), but was doing his classic Avengers run at the same time. As an example, for the February 1969 cover date, he did 20 pages of Avengers #61 (he had been doing the book for about a year up to that point) on top of the 39 pages for Silver Surfer #4 (yes, I realize it was bimonthly). So, he was doing approximately 30 pages a month and two covers at that point.

For the December 1968 cover date, here are the books he did:

Avengers, The #59

Title: The Name is Yellowjacket (Story - 20 pages)

Pencils: John Buscema 1963 December 1968 Marvel

Silver Surfer, The #3

Title: The Power and the Prize (Story - 40 pages)

Pencils: John Buscema 1968 December 1968 Marvel

Sub-Mariner #8

Title: In the Rage of Battle (Story - 20 pages)

Pencils: John Buscema 1968 December 1968 Marvel

That's an outrageous amount of work. And Silver Surfer #3 is the great Mephisto issue, and Sub-Mariner #8 being the battle between the Thing and Sub-Mariner.

I guarantee you that if you did a survey of SA and BA artists and asked them Kane or Buscema, Buscema would win hands-down.

I highly doubt this...

Me too.

I had this same discussion with one of the artists on this initial list who clearly preferred Buscema over Kane. I expect others would feel the same way.

So does this mean that if I talked to one old guy who tells me he clearly preferred Adlai Stevenson over Dwight Eisenhower for President, then I can project this one person sample to every other American in the 1950s and that would mean Eisenhower didn't win in a huge landslide over Stevenson?