• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.16

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

267 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

73 posts in this topic

Romita easily for me. I think he's Marvel's "Curt Swan" and that's not a knock. It's just that he's a median line for me. Solid, professional, not too exciting or spectacular.

Oh, and the Spidey Factor is carrying him a bit. lol

I will have major vendetta issues if Kubert does not make top 3 (thats me being realistic)!

I had voted for Kubert in earlier rounds, but this thread has reminded me how much I like some of his work: Hawkman, early Brave and the Bold (Viking Prince), Sea Devils, etc. The sketchier, later work (JLA covers, a zillion 70s war and Tarzan-related stories) doesn't do as much for me, but he deserves to stay around longer than artists who had far less Silver Age work (Adams, Steranko).

Jack

i swear, i don't understand the fascination with Jim "less than 60 books" Steranko. i would guess that even the BA God Neal Adams has just as many credits in the Silver Age, and he managed to find work for both publishers.

(shrug)

it's a mystery. are a couple dozen Nick Fury stories really enough to propel someone into the top five?

:headscratch:

Steranko's influence altered everyone's style, including Neal Adams! The ultra dynamic stylized rendering of the human form he pioneered has become comics standard to this day! He took the clumsy power of Kirby & infused it with grace and design.

can you be a bit more specific? cite any examples?

i look at Steranko's work and think that it's pretty powerful stuff, but no more graceful than Kane or Ditko. i see a lot of examples of Steranko purposely copying another artist's style, which isn't bad in and of itself, but i just don't see a lasting direct impact like you describe