• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Feel The Church Books Being Stored in Stacks

597 posts in this topic

Repost your questions please.

Come on down!!! :popcorn:

Convention presence? Great idea!

T-shirts? Super!

Key chains? Awesome

Anything else?

It's one thing to say "great idea", but why aren't you doing them?

Well, Jeff.....this may come as a huge shock to you....but NOD as an organizatin does not have the goal of personally pleasing you, someone who quit the group in a huff, very high on our list of priorities. And I think that someone who has done zero, ie you, in helping raise the consciousness of average collectors to the issues involved (despite what you might have us believe), may be the last person on earth to demand anything from a group that I belong to.

I can only answer for myself. I've done a ton of work for NOD, including designing the infamous Buzzer Logo! some of it paid, a lot of it unpaid.....and I worked with Mitch to edit all the text in the Network of Disclosure Gallery. I've posted here when pressing discussions get started ( I don't start those threads myself). NOD is essentially like any other volunteer organization.....it's rate of action waxes and wanes depending on who has time and who doesn't.

As of right now, it is the best and only organization involved with putting these issues in front of the public. Could we be doing more right now? Sure. But the fact is that we are not a military operation, or funded by a mysterious benefactor.....we're volunteers, and even just spreading the word on the boards and on our website (which from what I hear gets a very healthy number of hits daily) keeps the issues in front of the public. That'll have to do for the moment.

Like I said, I'm not the guy to give you definitive answers. Check with Zipper. But as you have no interest in rejoining the group, or supporting it's actions....and to my knowledge you have done nothing more than sit on your duff and complain and stamp your foot....then I think I've wasted more than enough of my time with you today!

:hi:

I liked you better in the early days of NOD when you were telling Mark to STFU or he was going to ruin the organization.

Lately, your posting style has been demeaning, and just plain mean. As someone who is not a spokesman for NOD, you speak a lot, and you don't represent the organization well.

You forgot to mention your tireless efforts at NOD public relations!

You know, if I were ever to say to a potential customer what you just said to a potential member (even if, in your view, a very low probability), two things would happen....

1) I would be out of business very quickly

2) I would be roasted alive if word of it ever spread to these boards

Yep, you're the model business owner Rich. I forgot.

I don't consider Jeff a potential member. He's made that quite clear himself. He's also been huffing and puffing all day. Actually that's all he seems to do these days.

You're the expert at barking up the wrong tree, Rich. :baiting:

You also didn't answer my second question. If there are so many collectors out there ignorant of undisclosed pressing who would care less upon finding out, why couldn't we get one new face at the NOD panel in SD?

You want me to answer a question regarding a panel that took place 3,200 miles from where I live?

I have no idea. I wasn't there. Did you take attendance? Do you have a sign in sheet?

BTW...don't ever confuse SanDiego with a comic convention.

You don't have to have been there to recognize the problem. I didn't take attendance, but I could probably recite everyone who was there from memory. It wasn't a long list.

I liked you better in the early days of NOD when you were telling Mark to STFU or he was going to ruin the organization.

Lately, your posting style has been demeaning, and just plain mean. As someone who is not a spokesman for NOD, you speak a lot, and you don't represent the organization well.

Actually, they love me.

You also didn't answer my second question. If there are so many collectors out there ignorant of undisclosed pressing who would care less upon finding out, why couldn't we get one new face at the NOD panel in SD?

You want me to answer a question regarding a panel that took place 3,200 miles from where I live?

I have no idea. I wasn't there. Did you take attendance? Do you have a sign in sheet?

You don't have to have been there to recognize the problem. I didn't take attendance, but I could probably recite everyone who was there from memory. It wasn't a long list.

Your agenda is quite clear, Jeff. We understand.

I'll answer anything you want if you answer my original question about NOD:

Do you want NOD as an organization to suceed?

Yes or No.

Simple. Yes or No.

I know this wasn't directed at me, and you may not even care how I would answer this question if it were. But since Jeff and I are interchangable to some here, I will answer it anyway...

I would love for it to succeed...I just wish it would change its name to something that encompasses more issues pertaining to collecting (The Network of Comic-Book Collectors?) and that it would expand its platform beyond the rigorous pursuit of one end - disclosure. Disclosure is happening in many areas. At some point it will either happen in other areas (C-Link, Matt etc.) or it won't. The sole pursuit of disclosure is making many turn a deaf ear to NOD and the other areas where it or another group like it could be focusing attention (like how to spot other restoration, how to properly navigate the auction system, how to network with other collectors, etc.etc.etc. on and on, so forth and so forth.

If Disclosure is the only thing that NOD is shoooting for then I don't care whether it survives or not.

Rich....it's the NAME that bothers you? Oy. doh!

By the way....feel free to start your own ideal organization at any time. If it turns out to be cool....I'll join. BTW....there was a meeting during the NY Con in 2005 in order to start just such a group. It failed to materialize. I have pictures that I'd be happy to post some time.

Its more than just the name. It is the singular pursuit of one goal by the so-named organization. Now I know that you will say that goal is of utmost importance and therefore worth all of your time. But as long as that is the only thing of importance to the NOD then my enthusiasm for the organization will be minimal at best.

I'll answer anything you want if you answer my original question about NOD:

Do you want NOD as an organization to suceed?

Yes or No.

Simple. Yes or No.

I know this wasn't directed at me, and you may not even care how I would answer this question if it were. But since Jeff and I are interchangable to some here, I will answer it anyway...

I would love for it to succeed...I just wish it would change its name to something that encompasses more issues pertaining to collecting (The Network of Comic-Book Collectors?) and that it would expand its platform beyond the rigorous pursuit of one end - disclosure. Disclosure is happening in many areas. At some point it will either happen in other areas (C-Link, Matt etc.) or it won't. The sole pursuit of disclosure is making many turn a deaf ear to NOD and the other areas where it or another group like it could be focusing attention (like how to spot other restoration, how to properly navigate the auction system, how to network with other collectors, etc.etc.etc. on and on, so forth and so forth.

If Disclosure is the only thing that NOD is shoooting for then I don't care whether it survives or not.

Rich....it's the NAME that bothers you? Oy. doh!

By the way....feel free to start your own ideal organization at any time. If it turns out to be cool....I'll join. BTW....there was a meeting during the NY Con in 2005 in order to start just such a group. It failed to materialize. I have pictures that I'd be happy to post some time.

Its more than just the name. It is the singular pursuit of one goal by the so-named organization. Now I know that you will say that goal is of utmost importance and therefore worth all of your time. But as long as that is the only thing of importance to the NOD then my enthusiasm for the organization will be minimal at best.

I think we'll survive your absence too! :roflmao:

Anyway, we've gone far beyond "constructive", so I'm going to get back to work and let you guys clean up. Have fun. :hi:

Brad:

I'll give Richard a little credit here. He was proactive in disclosing books that had been pressed when he posted for sale on the boards. I can't vouch for more than that at this time since I don't know him and haven't done business with him either.

Brad:

I'll give Richard a little credit here. He was proactive in disclosing books that had been pressed when he posted for sale on the boards. I can't vouch for more than that at this time since I don't know him and haven't done business with him either.

I'll be happy to give him a little credit too.

Your agenda is quite clear, Jeff. We understand.

Who's we? I thought you weren't a spokesman for NOD?

Oh, and what do you imagine my agenda to be?

Yep, you're the model business owner Rich. I forgot.

I hope you aren't being sarcastic here.

I don't consider Jeff a potential member. He's made that quite clear himself. He's also been huffing and puffing all day. Actually that's all he seems to do these days.

We are all potential members. Sorry that you haven't been able to convince us.

You're the expert at barking up the wrong tree, Rich. :baiting:

I am really not sure what this means.

Richard:

You're right that NOD may a little too focused on disclosure. However, I think it better to try to get good at one thing than be mediocre at many. Problem is, as a new member, NOD is having trouble getting traction doing that one thing.

I would respectfully say that your suggestions could be taken more seriously if it weren't for the perceived NOD-bashing that you do. I can't point to specific example without more time but I don't think it is unfair to state that to be the perception of your comments.

On the other hand, I acknowledge that many of your critiques are valid. But one can only go so far when trying to change from the outside.

We are all potential members. Sorry that you haven't been able to convince us.

I wasn't trying to convince you.

You're actually going to hold your potential joining of the organization as some kind of leveraging tool?

You're going to punish the organization by not joining?

You guys have taken a very simple concept and whined, and moaned and bashed it for months and months and months and now you're going to deny us your love? Now you're not going to come across and join?

:roflmao:

Please....mods....lock this thread right here! It's the perfect ending!

:roflmao: Oh, man,...... I can't breathe! :roflmao:

Richard:

You're right that NOD may a little too focused on disclosure. However, I think it better to try to get good at one thing than be mediocre at many. Problem is, as a new member, NOD is having trouble getting traction doing that one thing.

I would respectfully say that your suggestions could be taken more seriously if it weren't for the perceived NOD-bashing that you do. I can't point to specific example without more time but I don't think it is unfair to state that to be the perception of your comments.

On the other hand, I acknowledge that many of your critiques are valid. But one can only go so far when trying to change from the outside.

Point taken (thumbs u .

NOD is having trouble getting traction.

Maybe it should change its focus.

There have been many good suggestions, both from inside and outside the organization. Do you know if any of those suggestions are being considered or pursued?

He's also been huffing and puffing all day. Actually that's all he seems to do these days.

This from the guy who started in at what, 3am your time this morning? I didn't show up until 5 hours later.

And I've neither huffed or puffed. I've discussed and offered suggestions in a reasonable manner. You're the one that diagnosed me as passive/aggressive, and constantly got personal and sidestepped the tough questions.

No make-up sex for you. (tsk)

I don't know the answer to your question. Frankly, and this is a drawback for many volunteer organizations, I haven't had much time to devote to it since joining. I have posted today with some suggestions for at reaching people unaware of NOD and its issues. We'll see where it goes.

I used to espouse anarchy because I lacked faith in institutions but then I learned change is easier, if not as encompassing, by being part of the institution.