• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this Church copy of Wyatt Earp #7 - Grade Posted

43 posts in this topic

What's interesting to me is that I've seen a ton of undergrading going on in the "guess the grade" area. It appears that no one wants to appear to overgrade, so they outdo each other by being as conservative as possible.

I noticed some REALLY harsh assessments on gcox. CGC graded them MUCH higher than the board members assessed them.

That being said, I would have graded this copy 8.5. Maybe it's a little nicer in hand, and maybe it got the preservation/pedigree bump. 9.2 is a little extreme, however.

I agree, I've been off on a number of books the last month or so. I guess I'm losing it...just in time for the grading contest. :insane:

Maybe you're right about everyone trying not to be to liberal, but this board has been around for a long time, so why all of a sudden? It used to be the grades were coming in a bit high. (shrug)

What's interesting to me is that I've seen a ton of undergrading going on in the "guess the grade" area. It appears that no one wants to appear to overgrade, so they outdo each other by being as conservative as possible.

I noticed some REALLY harsh assessments on gcox. CGC graded them MUCH higher than the board members assessed them.

That being said, I would have graded this copy 8.5. Maybe it's a little nicer in hand, and maybe it got the preservation/pedigree bump. 9.2 is a little extreme, however.

I agree, I've been off on a number of books the last month or so. I guess I'm losing it...just in time for the grading contest. :insane:

Maybe you're right about everyone trying not to be to liberal, but this board has been around for a long time, so why all of a sudden? It used to be the grades were coming in a bit high. (shrug)

The returns on gcox's books really floored me, as almost everyone undergraded them by around 2 grades. i even aske another board member whether he thought we might be enteirng a softer phase of grading from CGC. (shrug)

this book floors me as well. just all of that color rub alone suggested a lower and not one single person gussed this high. I'm seriously thinking an Edgar Church bump on this one.......... :sumo:

don't get me wrong - a lovely book to be sure but 9.2 seems such a stretch. this doesn't bode well for the grading contest........... :sorry:

I'd say they are still consistent on the last silver bronze and up. This is a very nice Christmas grade IMO. A very sweet book, but there would seem to be just too many things going on to garner the slab grade.

I guess if I had it in hand, I might think differently. And it's not sour grapes, as I think it's great that you got the grade you did. CGC consistently surprises me.