• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons - Any Ashley Wood fans here?

22 posts in this topic

The sequel to Zombies vs Robots is out....great stuff if you're an Ashley Wood fan.

Funny yet ludicrous storyline with the aforementioned zombies & robots and now including lesbian Amazons (and a zombie Minotaur!). You can't beat that with a stick!

Anyone else read this series (or the last one)? It's not for everyone, but I really like it.

I love it, but it's not for everyone. His art is similar to Bill Sienkiewicz's 'really messy' style that he sometimes has. The covers are almost worth the price of admission alone (but that's probably just me).

The story might be a little hard to follow if you didn't read the original mini that came out earlier this year, but you might even be able to pick that up depending on how eclectic (and deep) your LCS's selection is.

Automatic Kafka (put out by Wildstorm a few years back) was a great series too. Also by Ashley Wood.

Nope, Ashley is a dude.

Ben Templesmith did the covers (and interiors) for 30 Days of Night (he is a great artist....but again, not for everyone).

Here's a cover from the first ZvR series. This one actually looks a little more like Kent Williams than Sienkiewicz, but you get the idea.

49425-zombiesvsrobots.jpg.7585e7f228b631bdb6a85d21dc50b160.jpg

Nope, Ashley is a dude.

Ben Templesmith did the covers (and interiors) for 30 Days of Night (he is a great artist....but again, not for everyone).

Here's a cover from the first ZvR series. This one actually looks a little more like Kent Williams than Sienkiewicz, but you get the idea.

Wow, that book looks nice!

Are you sure Wood didn't do the 30 Days covers???

I just checked my old copies that are (sadly) not mine anymore.....look at the cover artist notation from on the CGC label:

30days1.jpg

Obviously I'm not sure (thumbs u

Sorry, I was thinking of the following series...Templesmith did those.

That cover you just posted is pretty tame for Wood. His stuff is usually much more extreme.

Obviously I'm not sure (thumbs u

Sorry, I was thinking of the following series...Templesmith did those.

That cover you just posted is pretty tame for Wood. His stuff is usually much more extreme.

Well, here are #'s 2 and 3, do they look more like his style???

th_30days2.jpgth_30days3.jpg

Ok, I just did some searching and found that it is the same guy who did the 30 Days covers (thumbs u

He also did some art on the Silent Hill comics, which I am a big fan of :cloud9:

I'll be checking out his Zombies vs. Robots comics for sure!!!

Here's some info on Mr. Wood:

http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=1845

Ok, I just did some searching and found that it is the same guy who did the 30 Days covers (thumbs u

He also did some art on the Silent Hill comics, which I am a big fan of :cloud9:

He also did several issues of Hell Spawn (of Todd McFarlane fame) and a Spawn one-shot that was really good and the latest Tank Girl mini-series. Probably his best stuff to date is PopBot, which you can get in two TPB's on Amazon. Great stuff.

Automatic Kafka is great fun if you get into his stuff. It was cancelled after 9 issues, but you can still get all of them on the (fairly) cheap. The last issue is funny because the Joe Casey (the writer) and Ashley Wood actually appear in the comic to tell Automatic Kafka that he has been cancelled because readers 'don't get it'. They proceed to have a funny discussion from there.

A couple of more obscure things that he worked on were the DOOMED Magazine format series (4 issues inspired by the old Warren Horror Mags) from IDW and a series called d'airain which is great as well.

He also did several issues of Hell Spawn (of Todd McFarlane fame) and a Spawn one-shot that was really good and the latest Tank Girl mini-series. Probably his best stuff to date is PopBot, which you can get in two TPB's on Amazon. Great stuff.

Automatic Kafka is great fun if you get into his stuff. It was cancelled after 9 issues, but you can still get all of them on the (fairly) cheap. The last issue is funny because the Joe Casey (the writer) and Ashley Wood actually appear in the comic to tell Automatic Kafka that he has been cancelled because readers 'don't get it'. They proceed to have a funny discussion from there.

A couple of more obscure things that he worked on were the DOOMED Magazine format series (4 issues inspired by the old Warren Horror Mags) from IDW and a series called d'airain which is great as well.

Awesome, thanks for the info and suggestions! :headbang:

DOOMED was pretty good. There were several stories I enjoyed. I wish they would have stopped raising the price. I think it went from $4.99 to $8 or $9 by the 4th issue. Definitely worth reading though if you like the old CREEPY and EERIE mags.

I thought it was a woman

Nope, pretty sure Ashley is a man, just like this dude:

ash.jpg

Did you see this? :headbang::applause:

Absolutely! :headbang:

I was pretty sad that "Living with the Dead" was only three issues. I really enjoyed it.....