• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's all The Dave Stevens art, for that matter also...

25 posts in this topic

Frank Robbins Batman art,

Mignola's Dracula art from Topps,

P. Craig Russell's stuff from Killraven,

Steranko Cap and Sgt. Fury stuff,

Shadow Kaluta art,

Sekowsky WW art,

Kubert Tarzen art,

Cardy TT and Aquaman efforts,

Schffenberger LL art,

Grell's Warlord art,

Buscema Silver Surfer and early Conan,

Severin Kull art,

Sergio's Groo,

Thorne Red Sonja art,

much of Gulacy's Marvel BA stuff, especially the Kung Fu series,

and not to mention Gene Day,

HTD Colan art,

Michael Golden Marvel and DC from the early 80's,

any decent Batman Marshall Rogers art, counting even his more recent work for DC,

and I am sure there are some others we rarely or almost never see for sale as in the above that I can not think of.

Is this stuff in the hands of the artist's, or just buried deep in collections, or maybe some of it does not exist?

(shrug)

stevens_rocketeerv2c1p21.jpg

Seriously though, I know several of the artists on that list have kept alot of pieces, especially their favorites very close to them.

C

Nice piece!!! I'd like to see more Dave Stevens art as well!!!! :wishluck:

Anybody have any!!! :P

Thanks... as for others....well there is this one that is Russ Heath and Dave Stevens together from Betty Page Comics #1...

Stevens_bettypage7.jpg

There are lots of great pieces on comicartfans.com as well.

C

Shadow Kaluta art,

Sekowsky WW art,

Kubert Tarzen art,

Schffenberger LL art,

Grell's Warlord art,

Severin Kull art,

Sergio's Groo,

Thorne Red Sonja art,

HTD Colan art,

any decent Batman Marshall Rogers art, counting even his more recent work for DC,

and I am sure there are some others we rarely or almost never see for sale as in the above that I can not think of.

Is this stuff in the hands of the artist's, or just buried deep in collections, or maybe some of it does not exist?

You're mentioning art that is either rare (small body of work, such as Steranko Cap) or highly coveted and buried (Marshall Rogers Batman), or not quite expensive enough to make it consistently out of the woodwork. It's all out there, though. I have seen most if not all of the items that you mentioned over the past year alone.

(shrug)

stevens_rocketeerv2c1p21.jpg

Seriously though, I know several of the artists on that list have kept alot of pieces, especially their favorites very close to them.

C

Beautiful!

I agree, personally I think Stevens is one of the best artist in recent years. I also really like Bruce Timm

No one, and I mean NO ONE draws a better woman than Dave Stevens.....And Chris, that's always been my favorite piece in your collection.....and that's saying alot considering your collection !

Much appreciated, u're makin' me blush :blush: ....it's my favorite as well. It's hard to pick a favorite piece but this is the one closest to my heart.

C

Stunning Rocketeer page. Probably one of the best.

On the original question, I have a couple pieces by Dave, a few PCR Killraven pages and other odds and ends. They're out there and as other posters have mentioned, many of the pages are coveted items. Of the 5 pieces I have by Dave, there's only 1 I'd think about parting with and then you'd have to catch me at a weak moment. Best, Steve.

Shadow Kaluta art,

Sekowsky WW art,

Kubert Tarzen art,

Schffenberger LL art,

Grell's Warlord art,

Severin Kull art,

Sergio's Groo,

Thorne Red Sonja art,

HTD Colan art,

Can't speak to everything on your list, but I have been looking for some of the same stuff myself. Sergio Aragones has hung onto most of his GROO art (although he has sold pages from the later Image run). I would love to get something from Joe Kubert's TARZAN run, but as I understand it, he has held onto most of that art as well.

Same with Dave Stevens and ROCKETEER. The last major piece I saw for sale was the cover to the movie adaptation at SDCC 2006. Price tag was $25K and as far as I know, didn't sell. His cover for JONNY QUEST was sold/traded at the same con, though. I've seen some really nice pinups for sale the last year or so, but be prepared for very hefty prices.

Much of the other stuff on your list I see pop up from time to time (especially Grell's WARLORD). Just keep your eyes peeled on Ebay, CAF, Heritage, Clink, etc.

A buddy of mine told me he read once that Golden threw out his stuff back then. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

This may actually be true. There was an eBay auction a couple of months ago of a nice Micronauts page. In the auction description, the seller stated that he "found" the piece at a garage sale for $5 (this was earlier this year).

It sold for almost $900.

So, for the Golden art at least, you might want to check out the garage sales. ;)

Best regards.

- A

P.S.: Panel pages from what you've listed are around. They come up every so often - keep looking around. Covers and splashes, much less so, and you would have to know the right people.