• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's all The Dave Stevens art, for that matter also...

25 posts in this topic

Speaking of Dave Stevens' art, have there been any really good compilations of his artwork published anywhere? I have always admired his work and would love to add a good Stevens art book to my growing art library if one exists. If the right piece ever came up for sale, I could be tempted to go for that as well. hm

Like you, I'd also like to know where all the Frank Thorne Red Sonja work has gone...one cover came up for sale via Heritage not that long ago and I regret not having bid more aggressively for that one given how difficult that work is to come by. And, what happened to all of Thorne's very Sonja-esque Ghita of Alizarr artwork? (shrug)

The most complete Dave Stevens art book that I know of is the long out-of-print JUST TEASING. He also self-published four really nice sketchbooks from 2002-2005. I was just flipping through them yesterday!

The good news is that he's been working on a comprehensive overview of his work. I believe it's mainly centered around Rocketeer, but I'll bet it will include a lot of his other stuff (i.e. pinups) as well.

As for the actual art...very tough. I haven't seen anything significant on Ebay (watch, an amazing piece will show up tonight!) in years. Nor Heritage for that matter. For whatever reason, great pieces have shown up at SD the last couple of shows. Maybe you'll get lucky there this time. Good luck!

Speaking of Dave Stevens' art, have there been any really good compilations of his artwork published anywhere? I have always admired his work and would love to add a good Stevens art book to my growing art library if one exists. If the right piece ever came up for sale, I could be tempted to go for that as well. hm

Like you, I'd also like to know where all the Frank Thorne Red Sonja work has gone...one cover came up for sale via Heritage not that long ago and I regret not having bid more aggressively for that one given how difficult that work is to come by. And, what happened to all of Thorne's very Sonja-esque Ghita of Alizarr artwork? (shrug)

Gene

The upcoming Stevens book that Felix mentioned is intended to be a definitive overview and will include a lot of non-Rocketeer work. The other o/p books are a bit piece meal so I'd recommend waiting for this one.

A lot of the nicer Stevens pieces tend to move privately. He's a considered a modern master, draws REALLY hot women and has a v limited body of work which tends to put the prices up there. I had a nice example but was fundraising for my flat last year and a friend hit me with an offer at the right time, unfortunately.

I know of a couple of Red Sonja pages long buried in private collections and wonder whether its just a case that those old time collectors just aren't plugged into the modern circuit so they rarely re-surface.

Joseph

Joseph is correct. The book will be along the lines of the Frazetta/Jeff Jones/McGinnis books that the Fenners have produced. Not finished yet, but it's getting there. It's definitely not Rocketeer based. As for art is circulation, it's out there. It is concentrated amount a few collectors for the most part but it's out there. Best, Steve Morger.