• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone Else Here a Crossword Solver?

32 posts in this topic

It's been part of my daily routine for years. Check a few eBay favorite sellers, look in on the boards, and solve the NY Times crossword on-line. Used to literally sit on my grandfather's lap as he did the puzzles in the local paper --- then, one day, I was able to start helping him with some clues. Eventually, he had to tell me to get my own copy!

I can almost always solve the Times puzzle. Usually takes me 5 to 10 minutes for a Mon thru Wed puzzle, maybe up to a half-hour for Friday thru Sun.

Let's face it, we're all "geeks" here --- but is anyone man enough to own up to being a puzzle nerd, too? lol

BTW, here is my favorite Cryptic Crossword clue ever:

1. Wolf (answer has 3 letters)

Tune in tomorrow for the answer.

I do the LA Times religiously Friday and Saturday (Saturday, as probably with the NY Times the hardest)...occasionally the Thursday...not as hard as Fri/Sat but it's the cool Theme puzzle and usually has some of the coolest play-on-word answers or a punny or ironic saying that takes up all the long clues in the whole puzzle...

Try to do the hard (Thur/Fri/Sat) NY Times puzzles when I can get my hands on them...used to do the Sunday big ones but they've become too easy...

I'm sure you've seen the movie Wordplay...recommended for all crossword-geeks and a cool documentary/movie I think even non-CWP geeks would enjoy...

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492506/

English only?

albanian ~ ulk

armenian ~ gul

czech ~ vlk

danish, norwegian ~ ulv

old irish ~ olc

It's been part of my daily routine for years. Check a few eBay favorite sellers, look in on the boards, and solve the NY Times crossword on-line. Used to literally sit on my grandfather's lap as he did the puzzles in the local paper --- then, one day, I was able to start helping him with some clues. Eventually, he had to tell me to get my own copy!

I can almost always solve the Times puzzle. Usually takes me 5 to 10 minutes for a Mon thru Wed puzzle, maybe up to a half-hour for Friday thru Sun.

Let's face it, we're all "geeks" here --- but is anyone man enough to own up to being a puzzle nerd, too? lol

I love the puzzles too. Lately I dont even bother with Mon/Tues.. I raced thru a Monday once to see how I measure up agaonst the masters: 4:50 was my best. Takes too long to even write the answers!

If you are finishing Fri/Sat in a half hour, you need to get to Stamford and compete. That's pretty fast. Most weekends (Sat especially) take me three tries to finally get everything. Need to come back fresh once Im stumped and going round in circles working the same clues over and over to no avail. It always freels great to get the last answers. And I chuckle out loud (or groan) when I figure out some of the cuter answers...

If you are finishing Fri/Sat in a half hour, you need to get to Stamford and compete. That's pretty fast.

Never made the trip to Stamford, but I did hop a train to Pleasantville, NY about 10 yrs ago. Will Shortz hosts (or used to host) an annual, low-key contest there. Didn't place, but came away with some nice consolation prizes and a new respect for the real competitors. Was neat to meet him, too --- he's a pretty charismatic guy.

Can't think of the Wolf answer yet but here's some personal favorites...

(can't necessarily remember the original clues)

crime-committing musician felonious monk

sly comment? yo adrian

Some of my favorites are the ones where all the long/theme answers are palindromes...