• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM GA Superman 20

21 posts in this topic

Arrived today from MrBedrock. Not sure how much work I'll get done today. Can't stop looking at this comic :cloud9:

Please note that I am completely satisfied and in total agreement with MrBedrock's accurate and conservative grading on this item! I'm only posting it here for fun and to see what other people make of it based on a scan. If everyone undergrades it that won't change my opinion of the comic in any way. I'm also posting just to show it off (thumbs u

Anyway, let's have a look at it :grin:

supes20.jpg

supes20bk.jpg

I'd venture a 4.0 even with the spine split and color breaker in the lower right front.

What a great cover! So many years later you feel you're right in the action ... and why do I suddenly want a tootsie roll???

Yep, that 3/4" tear on the top left is the most significant defect. The rest of the spine is really amazing - just a few small stress marks. Those GA books are a bit more resilient than moderns as they're thicker and made of less flimsy stuff!

I hadn't even really noticed the corner crease on bottom right. As ever, scans are less forgiving than the human eye!

I've been thinking about this cover ever since I saw nearmint's one that he posted in the Superman thread in the GA section. I've always liked war covers on GA superhero stuff, and now I have one :cloud9:

Consensus seems to be about 4.0 then. I'd go 4.5, but then I have the advantage of having it 'in hand' :cloud9:

It's because of that tear isn't it? Kinda draws the eye and makes you want to mark it down right? As ever, all I can say is it's not as bad as it looks, and up close the book has a lot of positives :)

What about that pencil on the cover? Would you remove it? Can pencil be removed without being considered 'resto'? (Don't worry, I'm not about to take an eraser to it!)

Consensus seems to be about 4.0 then. I'd go 4.5, but then I have the advantage of having it 'in hand' :cloud9:

It's because of that tear isn't it? Kinda draws the eye and makes you want to mark it down right? As ever, all I can say is it's not as bad as it looks, and up close the book has a lot of positives :)

What about that pencil on the cover? Would you remove it? Can pencil be removed without being considered 'resto'? (Don't worry, I'm not about to take an eraser to it!)

I would say a 4.0 is fair as it has great eye appeal. 3.5 would be very conservative. I would not mess with the pencil writing at all. At VG it doesn't affect the grade a bit and at least for me on GA books a small neat owners sig, especially in pencil rather than ink, does not really detract that much and gives the book a little character. Cool pick up! (thumbs u

Jeff

I certainly would leave the pencil writing....it's part of the book's history, and I don't think it detracts.

I could definitely see a 4.0 on this... And for a VG, I don't think the eye appeal could be any nicer. Gorgeous book, friend, congrats! :applause:

Don't you dare! :makepoint: I bought that from Orville. Really!

Don't you dare! :makepoint: I bought that from Orville. Really!

Orville Ross himself? Cool :grin:

Don't worry it was just a hypothetical question about removing pencil! I'm used to having pencil names on my comics - I collect early 2000AD's, and they almost always have a name written on the cover!

And I quite agree about it adding to the history and character of a book :)