• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone have this scanner?

62 posts in this topic

If you wanna see some scans with it, just look at some of my recent books in the TWIYC thread. Scanned on basic settings with no tweaking, 96dpi scans.

Arex

Actually, the scans looked a little murky...it might be because of your re-size operation. :gossip:

So that I'm in the know, are the 64bit drivers Windows only? So therefore I'm assuming you are using Vista.

Actually I'm running XP x64, but 64-bit Vista would have the same issue.

So, the 64bit version of the OS requires 100% compliance with 64bit stuff? No backwards compatibility?

Old labels/holders don't have the issue---it's the newer slabs.

What model scanner is that?

Modified post...go re-read. This is why I'm considering a Microtek...until you dropped the bomb on the 64bit stuff. I'm not particularly vested into a 64bit world yet, so that's not going to be a show stopper.

But, it appears the Microtek doesn't have this "rainbow" problem, and should be a strong consideration when looking at scanners for slabs.

So that I'm in the know, are the 64bit drivers Windows only? So therefore I'm assuming you are using Vista.

So, the 64bit version of the OS requires 100% compliance with 64bit stuff? No backwards compatibility?

Not exactly...nearly all 32-bit programs will work fine. Drivers (software that makes your hardware work) usually requires a 64-bit version specifically when you're running a 64-bit OS. It's up to the hardware manufacturer to provide these.

Not exactly...nearly all 32-bit programs will work fine. Drivers (software that makes your hardware work) usually requires a 64-bit version specifically when you're running a 64-bit OS. It's up to the hardware manufacturer to provide these.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: So, drivers don't need to be 64bit, but the software definitely needs to be 64bit...

Clear as mud.

That is correct except that you have it backwards :makepoint:

Applications such as games, Office, web browsers...any program you actually use on a daily basis...those don't have to be written specifically for a 64-bit OS (although there can be performance benefits if they are). DRIVERS (the stuff that comes on the installation CD with your new hardware that makes your computer aware that the new hardware is connected to it) DO have to be specifically 32-bit or 64-bit compatible. Microtek doesn't have 64-bit drivers for their stuff. Most people still aren't using 64-bit OSs, but there are still enough people that do that most other manufacturers have jumped onboard by now.

Just saw that. Reading is fundamental. :doh:

I'm familiar with a lot of internal OS technical stuff...especially with how Windows has "faked it" to provide 16bit support for old apps, etc. I just wasn't familiar with the backwards compatibility of 32bit.

If I had read this after a full nights rest I would'nt be asking so many questions.

Tried all of the HP models including the 8300 and the L7680. I -like you all- didn't like them, so I decided to keep things simple. My choice is the Epson V500 with "dry technology". I bought it @ Staples for $300 and it makes brilliant scans. I've never had a problem with glare when using it with CGC's. It gives me amazing results.

Good Luck,

CC

Stitcheddocument1_edited-2.jpgStitcheddocument2_edited-23.jpg

Tried all of the HP models including the 8300 and the L7680. I -like you all- didn't like them, so I decided to keep things simple. My choice is the Epson V500 with "dry technology". I bought it @ Staples for $300 and it makes brilliant scans. I've never had a problem with glare when using it with CGC's. It gives me amazing results.

Good Luck,

CC

Is that a legal sized scanner? Newegg says it's max document size is 8.5"x11.7"

This is the one you're talking about right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838110020

Good Luck,

CC

Yes that is the one! Ohh...I see what you are saying, CGC slabs don't fit all the way on to the bed, because they are too big. IMO a full slab scan on the HP is what might cause all of that glare. I use a VERY, and I mean MEAN VERY simple program called Scratch and Stitch . The program is so easy to use my grandma could use it lol . It is the best program out there to rid the book of glare. I use this in combination with my EPSON. Kenny I would also suggest getting a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements if you want to bring out the true colors in your books. I would HIGHLY recommend the EPSON its remarkable.

CC

What is "Dry Technology"---no frills?

Lenses on scanners are very sensitive and very easy to scratch, especially with plastic CGC even if you are very careful. "Dry Ice technology" scans over the scratches developed over time on the bed lense and just scan the image. Pretty cool if you ask me.

CC

Good Luck,

CC

Yes that is the one! Ohh...I see what you are saying, CGC slabs don't fit all the way on to the bed, because they are too big. IMO a full slab scan on the HP is what might cause all of that glare. I use a VERY, and I mean MEAN VERY simple program called Scratch and Stitch . The program is so easy to use my grandma could use it lol . It is the best program out there to rid the book of glare. I use this in combination with my EPSON. Kenny I would also suggest getting a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements if you want to bring out the true colors in your books. I would HIGHLY recommend the EPSON its remarkable.

CC

I've got PS CS2...I really want a legal sized scanner though...I've already got a decent 8.5x11 scanner.

nice scanner, but stitching isn't in my future unless I start collecting mags.

If there are no scanners up to task, I guess I could go BACK to my old HP scanner and stitch the scans...what a pain.

Sterling

You're right though that HP 8300 has some serious glare issues. Glad I read this thread. I dropped close to $500 and returned it within a couple of days. A real shame...

CC

nice scanner, but stitching isn't in my future unless I start collecting mags.

If there are no scanners up to task, I guess I could go BACK to my old HP scanner and stitch the scans...what a pain.

Sterling

You're right though that HP 8300 has some serious glare issues. Glad I read this thread. I dropped close to $500 and returned it within a couple of days. A real shame...

CC

When I purchased mine, it wasn't a big problem. CGC's operational changes made the "rainbow effect" appear more often. Unfortunately, this occurred AFTER I purchased the scanner, so it was too late to return mine. :(