• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So for the most part new Marvel comics suck, why is that?

30 posts in this topic

Obviously I have my ideas:

1.)this trend of hiring non-comic people to write comics doesnt work at all, comics are a very visual medium, non-comic people dont seem to know how to exploit this medium. They seem more concerned about plot lines, flowery prose, and interpersonal relationships. I want to see Man-Thing pop Iron Man's helmet off like a bottlecap like the good old days, forget flowery prose.

2.)Quesada and others almost seem apologetic about their medium, like they have to reinvent the wheel or something. In this age where the WWF is about the hottest ticket in town, I find it hard to believe that comics that simply well kicked [!@#%^&^] would not sell to these people that love WWF.

3.)Manganization of comics. manga is fine, I've read it some, its not bad, as an American raised on Romita, Neal Adams and others though I prefer American style art and the visual stream of consciousness style of comic 10x more than manga. Given that why is Marvel seemingly trying at the same time to distance itself from its past, and push Manga style comics which at their height were nothing more than a niche.

Summary: Marvels management is totally inept and taking Marvel in totally the wrong directiont, I'm a comic diehard and I can only stomach about 2 marvel books. sign-rantpost.gif

Duncan -- your post illustrates just how hard it is to be a comics publisher in todays market. You love WWF action comics. I skip the pages when the first blow is struck. I've read far too many quip-laden battle scenes over the years. Following your suggestion would IMO lead to lower sales overall.

And anyway, to your basic point "So for the most part new Marvel comics suck, why is that?"

well. as I alway slike to point out, thi shas ALWAYS been true! 90s of ALL comics in ALL ages have sucked. As a wise man said: "Dont take it so personal, Sonny. Its strictly business"

Or simply stick to the best half dozen being produced around...and hunt for the old ones, if they appeal to you.

I prefer not to support an industry where I totally disagree on their marketing and motives. Kinda like MLB.

Or simply stick to the best half dozen being produced around...and hunt for the old ones, if they appeal to you.

I prefer not to support an industry where I totally disagree on their marketing and motives. Kinda like MLB.

So you avoid women then, do you?

So you avoid women then, do you?

I have to now, at least the "other" type. grin.gif

Just checking... I mean, I know you like to stay true to your principles... smile.gif

Just checking... I mean, I know you like to stay true to your principles... smile.gif

If Marvel comics looked as good as some of the hotties I've gone out with, I'd definitely make an exception. Outside of greggy, I doubt anyone gets the same "pleasure" out of owning comics. 893whatthe.gif