• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Never-Ending Comic Book Quiz

1,202 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Here's another easy one.

What do the comic-book characters:

Tarzan, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Thun'da

have in common?

All were made into movies starring Buster Crabbe?

^^

I knew some one would know this. Yes, good ol' Buster Crabbe acted in serials featuring each of the above characters. The Frazetta guess, uncannily, was also pretty good but I don't recall any Frazetta Flash Gordon or does it exist?

BZ, it's your turn now. :applause:

I only know this one because it was used as the cover to one of the tabloid reprints DC put out in the 1970s...

H. J. Ward

51003-2100_2_C-31.jpg.eeb0ae67176863b96483372933ccfe0e.jpg

Edited by Zonker

Thanks!

Here's another easy one.

What do the comic-book characters:

Tarzan, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Thun'da

have in common?

All were made into movies starring Buster Crabbe?

^^

I knew some one would know this. Yes, good ol' Buster Crabbe acted in serials featuring each of the above characters. The Frazetta guess, uncannily, was also pretty good but I don't recall any Frazetta Flash Gordon or does it exist?

BZ, it's your turn now. :applause:

Frazetta was going to be my answer too, but testinadical beat me to it.

Lambiek (and other sources):

"When he left M.E., Frazetta ghosted on Dan Barry's 'Flash Gordon' newspaper strip.."

Jack

I read cartoonist Charles Addams biography recently and was surprised to learn that during WWII he was stationed in New York and served in the US Army Signal Corps along with what now famous comic book creator?

Bob Montana.

I read it (somewhere) from the other direction.

Jack

I read cartoonist Charles Addams biography recently and was surprised to learn that during WWII he was stationed in New York and served in the US Army Signal Corps along with what now famous comic book creator?

Bob Montana.

Jack

No, I don't recall Montana being mentioned.

It may be true, but that's not the name I'm looking for.

I thought I had read about Stan doing that somewhere. Can you imagine Addams and Lee in the same Army field office --- would have been like the Goof Troop or Hogan's Heroes lol

That brings me to 11 points so far . . . will work on a new question very soon.

Bob Montana.

Jack

No, I don't recall Montana being mentioned.

It may be true, but that's not the name I'm looking for.

I keep coming up the the wrong right answer tonight!

Montana wikipedia

"During World War II, Montana spent four years in the Army Signal Corps, drawing coded maps and working on training films with William Saroyan and cartoonists Sam Cobean and Charles Addams. He was stationed at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, where, in 1944, he met a 19-year-old Army secretary, Peggy Wherett, from Asbury Park, New Jersey. Married in 1946, they moved to Manhattan, where Montana was soon drawing the daily and Sunday Archie comic strips for 700 newspapers."

Jack

"During World War II, Montana spent four years in the Army Signal Corps, drawing coded maps and working on training films with William Saroyan and cartoonists Sam Cobean and Charles Addams.

That Army unit certainly had an interesting bunch of characters assigned to it. I guess in that specific instance, war wasn't hell after all.