• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Never-Ending Comic Book Quiz

1,202 posts in this topic

The question was a bit confusing to me. I thought it was referring to actors not fictional creations. :(

If fictional characters are acceptable as answers, you could also add Our Miss Brooks to the list.

BZ, that's how I intended it originally so would the answer then only be: Bob Hope, Ozzie and Harriet, Will Rogers, Judy Canova, Milton Berle, and Jerry Lewis. I apologize for the confusion in the question. Next time, I'll find something less fuzzy :sorry:

The question was a bit confusing to me. I thought it was referring to actors not fictional creations. :(

If fictional characters are acceptable as answers, you could also add Our Miss Brooks to the list.

BZ, that's how I intended it originally so would the answer then only be: Bob Hope, Ozzie and Harriet, Will Rogers, Judy Canova, Milton Berle, and Jerry Lewis. I apologize for the confusion in the question. Next time, I'll find something less fuzzy :sorry:

Sorry about all the controversy.

My last question or two have been too obscure -- easier one this time.

Name at least four members of "Our Gang" that appeared in Walt Kelly's stories but not in any of the films.

Jack

Let's see:

Happy, Red, Button-Nose, Two-by-Two and Anastasia?

^^

I told you this one was easier!

I've actually only read Vol 1 with Happy in some of the stories so far. Good stuff!

What can you tell me about Egghead? Kelly-created member? Maggie Thompson's on-line listing of Our Gang content has the curious notation "Egghead still with Feeney" for initial appearances.

FYI, Vol 2 is listed for about $4 on amazon right now -- Vol 1 and 3 are about $11. I was ordering something else today and added Vol 2 with free shipping!

Jack

New Question:

Name at least 7 comic-book artists who worked for Timely / Atlas and then went on to assume the art duty for a newspaper comic strip for more than 15 straight years and name that comic strip feature. (If that's too many for one person to find, you can work this as a team!)

New Question:

Name at least 7 comic-book artists who worked for Timely / Atlas and then went on to assume the art duty for a newspaper comic strip for more than 15 straight years and name that comic strip feature. (If that's too many for one person to find, you can work this as a team!)

With 7, one of them is sure to be disqualified!

Larry Lieber, The Amazing Spider-Man

Dan Barry, Flash Gordon

George Tuska, The World's Greatest Superheroes Present Superman

Tony DiPreta, Joe Palooka and Rex Morgan, MD

Irwin Hasen, Dondi

Joe Giella, The Phantom and Mary Worth

Sy Barry, The Phantom

Jack

New Question:

Dan Barry, Flash Gordon

Irwin Hasen, Dondi

Sy Barry, The Phantom

Jack

Yes. Tuska should be disqualified since the feature didn't last 15 years. He worked on WG Superheroes from 77 to 82 and then on Superman from 82 to 84. Even combining both run, it's still less than 10 years.

All others do qualify:

1) Larry Lieber, The Amazing Spider-Man no date for sure but at least 15 years

2) Dan Barry, Flash Gordon from 1951 to 1990 or 33 years.

3) Tony DiPreta, Joe Palooka from 1959 to 1984 or 25 years and for Rex Morgan, MD, DiPreta only did it from 1986 to 2000 so it's shy of yet another 15 year run

4) Irwin Hasen, Dondi from 1955 to 1984 or 29 years.

5) Joe Giella, The Phantom from 1972 to 1988 or 16 years and Mary Worth from 1991 to present so 16 years so far.

6) Sy Barry, The Phantom from 1961 to 1994 or 33 years.

so only one more to find to win this one. I have at least another 7 guys who qualify so finding the last one should be toooooooo hard. (thumbs u

New Question:

Dan Barry, Flash Gordon

Irwin Hasen, Dondi

Sy Barry, The Phantom

Jack

Yes. Tuska should be disqualified since the feature didn't last 15 years. He worked on WG Superheroes from 77 to 82 and then on Superman from 82 to 84. Even combining both run, it's still less than 10 years.

All others do qualify:

1) Larry Lieber, The Amazing Spider-Man no date for sure but at least 15 years

2) Dan Barry, Flash Gordon from 1951 to 1990 or 33 years.

3) Tony DiPreta, Joe Palooka from 1959 to 1984 or 25 years and for Rex Morgan, MD, DiPreta only did it from 1986 to 2000 so it's shy of yet another 15 year run

4) Irwin Hasen, Dondi from 1955 to 1984 or 29 years.

5) Joe Giella, The Phantom from 1972 to 1988 or 16 years and Mary Worth from 1991 to present so 16 years so far.

6) Sy Barry, The Phantom from 1961 to 1994 or 33 years.

so only one more to find to win this one. I have at least another 7 guys who qualify so finding the last one should be toooooooo hard. (thumbs u

Joe Sinnott, The Amazing Spider-Man if inker = art duty

Fred Kida, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Spirit, Flash Gordon (not continuously for 15 y?)

George Evans, Secret Agent Corrigan

Jack

Fred Kida, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Spirit, Flash Gordon (not continuously for 15 y?)

I didn't count Kida (no tenure long enough), nor Sinnott as inker wouldn't count but now you've got:

7) George Evans on Secret Agent Corrigan from 1980 to 2001 or 21 years.

Jack, you're a ^^

Here are others:

Ken Bald on Dr. Kildare from 1962 to 1983 for 21 years.

Frank Bolle on Juliet Jones from 1984 to 1999 or 15 years.

Hy Eisman on Little Iodine from 1967 to 1984 for 17 years.

Bob Fujitani on Flash Gordon from 1971 to 1987 or 16 years.

Gray Morrow on Tarzan from 1983 to 2001 or 18 years.

Rockwell on Steve Canyon from 1963 to 1988 or 25 years.

Morris Weiss on Mickey Finn from 1936 to 1977 in some capacity for 41 years and he even wrote Joe Palooka for 12 years from 1961 to 1973

Also could be counted:

Jerry Robinson on Flubs and Fluffs from 1964 to 1984 or 20 years but it was a Sunday strip only, and

if Mac Raboy did turn in one story in Cap America # 3, then his run on Flash Gordon from 1948 to 1967 or 19 years should count,

and, finally, I am not sure but didn't Len Starr at least do one job for Timely / Atlas, and if so, he would qualify with On Stage from 1957 to 1979 or 21 years.

I didn't count Kida (no tenure long enough), nor Sinnott as inker wouldn't count but now you've got:

7) George Evans on Secret Agent Corrigan from 1980 to 2001 or 21 years.

Jack, you're a ^^

Here are others:

Ken Bald on Dr. Kildare from 1962 to 1983 for 21 years.

Frank Bolle on Juliet Jones from 1984 to 1999 or 15 years.

Hy Eisman on Little Iodine from 1967 to 1984 for 17 years.

Bob Fujitani on Flash Gordon from 1971 to 1987 or 16 years.

Gray Morrow on Tarzan from 1983 to 2001 or 18 years.

Rockwell on Steve Canyon from 1963 to 1988 or 25 years.

Morris Weiss on Mickey Finn from 1936 to 1977 in some capacity for 41 years and he even wrote Joe Palooka for 12 years from 1961 to 1973

Also could be counted:

Jerry Robinson on Flubs and Fluffs from 1964 to 1984 or 20 years but it was a Sunday strip only, and

if Mac Raboy did turn in one story in Cap America # 3, then his run on Flash Gordon from 1948 to 1967 or 19 years should count,

and, finally, I am not sure but didn't Len Starr at least do one job for Timely / Atlas, and if so, he would qualify with On Stage from 1957 to 1979 or 21 years.

Good question!

I should have gotten Bolle and Eisman.

There are so many strips that I almost never saw (i.e., not in a local paper):

Dr. Kildare (I swear that I've never seen a single panel!), Juliet Jones, Flash Gordon (too bad -- I guess Prince Valiant filled that niche in local papers), Tarzan (again, niche probably filled by The Phantom), Steve Canyon (vague memory of Sundays only from my early youth).

I looked up Weiss and decided that he didn't meet the "continuous" criterion based on his Wikipedia entry (apparently not accurate).

"Weiss was the inker and assistant on cartoonist Lank Leonard's Mickey Finn from 1936-1943 and again from 1960 on. He took over the strip in 1971, following Leonard's death in August 1970, continuing through the final Sunday strip on December 21, 1975, and the daily strip's finale on July 31, 1976."

You evidently have information that he was still associated with Mickey Finn 1944-59.

Are you taking credit information from Atlastales?

The site backs you up on Raboy (I didn't know that one!). Do you think that Leonard Starr is "C. C. Starr"?

Question later today. I'm running out of ideas!

Jack

Here's a few:

1. Who attends Milford High?

2. Who went to Maumee University?

3. Who attends Hudson University?

4. Whose address is 344 Clinton St?

5. Who lives on Wump St?

6. Who works at radio staion WHIZ and and who works at WGBS-TV?

(poached from "The World's Greatest Comics Quiz" by Jerry Robinson)

Edited by GACollectibles

Thanks.

To keep the game moving, how about the first person to get all 6 of these right wins this round?

You'll have to help me out on 5, but I think I know the rest.

(Probably anyone with the book in hand should sit this round out.)

Jack

Here's a few:

5. Who lives on Wump St?

6. Who works at radio station WHIZ and WGBS-TV?

Thanks.

To keep the game moving, how about the first person to get all 6 of these right wins this round?

Jack

Here's a few:

5. Who lives on Wump St?

I've never seen the book, but it must be a 1970s publication. #3 and #4 scream Bronze Age, and almost certainly no longer apply in current continuity.

Here's a few:

5. Who lives on Wump St?

6. Who works at radio staion WHIZ and WGBS-TV?

Clarification:

#6 has two answers, it should have been phrased "Who works at radio staion WHIZ and who works at WGBS-TV", question was taken directly from the book and may not be clear.

I noticed that on #6 and wondered whether the WHIZ person worked for WGBS at some point in convoluted 70s continuity!

I wonder whether #1 should be "attends" or "works at" -- maybe there's another answer besides the one I'm thinking of.

Jack

Here's a few:

5. Who lives on Wump St?

6. Who works at radio staion WHIZ and WGBS-TV?

Clarification:

#6 has two answers, it should have been phrased "Who works at radio staion WHIZ and who works at WGBS-TV", question was taken directly from the book and may not be clear.

Thanks.

Jack

Here's a few:

5. Who lives on Wump St?

I've never seen the book, but it must be a 1970s publication. #3 and #4 scream Bronze Age, and almost certainly no longer apply in current continuity.

It is a cool 1978 Tempo paperback, I had used it two summers ago(?) here for a Friday quiz thread, then book got tucked away and recently resurfaced!

52191-quiz.jpg.e4131c427ca4fabe20bab87b31e8688d.jpg

I noticed that on #6 and wondered whether the WHIZ person worked for WGBS at some point in convoluted 70s continuity!

I wonder whether #1 should be "attends" or "works at" -- maybe there's another answer besides the one I'm thinking of.

Jack

Who are you thinking of? (PM if you like!)

Jack

Who are you thinking of? (PM if you like!)

I'm thinking of Angie Everhart, :luhv: but that's not quite what you meant, is it?

I'll pm you my possible answer.

Jack