• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Your collecting preference -- ART v. STORY

Art V. Story  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Art V. Story

33 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know a lot of us collect both, but for the purposes of this poll, it's like choosing between Elvis and the Beatles. I know you like both, but in your heart, you prefer one to the other...

Anyhow, we're collectors of comic art. Inherently, that means we're interested in the art in the comics we're reading, as well as the story/writing. But when we go to shell out our hard earned cash, are you more interested in a piece of ART to help transform your home into an art gallery (albeit of comic art) or are you more interested in a great STORY page, that gives you something to read every time you look at it?

A lot of factors play into this, including cost and nostalgia of course, but I'm just talking about on the visceral level here.

Good poll:)

When I first started collecting, it was all about the story. That's how I made my initial list; all the titles were from stories I liked. And the best representation from a good story would be a solid panel page.

Of course, since then, I can see the appeal in splashes and covers:) But I still believe, dollar-for-dollar, you get more bang for your buck with a nice panel page. Also, since we all collect COMIC BOOK art, nothing represents graphic storytelling like a panel page.

It's a little different with modern art, with all the lettering stripped away. In that case, I'd probably go with a cover or splash since the lettering would have been minimal in the first place and I wouldn't be missing as much.

Overall, given the difference in values, I voted for panel pages. If the values were equal...well, I'm glad you didn't stipulate that.:)

When I first started collecting original art, I was buying complete stories from the Russ Cochran EC Art Auctions. Over a period of ten years or more I had amassed several hundred pages of EC story art. Then, my preference was for (complete) stories over covers. Yep, you got more art for your buck . . .

The few EC covers I (then) had were framed and on display . . . viewed and appreciated every single day over the years they hung on my walls (whereas the story art was filed away and lifted out for ocassional viewings)

Gradually, my focus/appreciation shifted towards covers. They're self-contained pieces of art . . . representative of the interior story/stories . . . usually intrigue-orientated . . . and the image (if a good one) hits you right away with its impact.

A good cover makes you want the interior work.

As such, I now prefer covers! :cloud9:

Here's an interesting anomaly . . . over here in the UK, a lot of vintage British comics had the story commence from the cover.

Here's a painted EAGLE cover original from 1964. The cover features the opening page one (of a two-page episode) from the "Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future" strip (EAGLE featured a number of different strips per issue).

Artwork is by Keith Watson.

So here you have a cover that is also a panel page . . complete with a splash!

Cover . . . splash . . . panels. hm

8eizuro.jpg

are you more interested in a piece of ART to help transform your home into an art gallery (albeit of comic art) or are you more interested in a great STORY page, that gives you something to read every time you look at it?

It's crazy to see originals from a modern comic become available when the cover is WAY more money than interior pages that must have taken the artist much more time to create - but it's obvious why and the poll results show it. I'm in the cover/splash boat with the majority. How about the times when a sequential page has a single panel that you love, but the page as a whole isn't that powerful?

I voted art.

I love reading comic books and can always read them again. I own many bookcases full of trades.

When I first started collecting OA, I was into panel pages, but as I started framing the pieces, only the covers, splashes and commissions really stood out, so I changed the way I collected and got rid of all panel pages except the ones given to me as gifts, Grateful Dead comic art, or the ones by Rich Koslowski. The ones I kept, except for a few, are not framed, and I very rarely view them as they are put away to keep them in nice shape.

I am now changing the way I collect again based on eye appeal. I only want B&W iconic covers or splashes and painted pieces. I frame almost everything and lesser pieces pale when they are side by side :(

With all that said, I have two things to add:

1st...I just picked up a 7 page horror story from the '50's because I want to see how a complete story would look framed. I think it will look cool, but if I do not like looking at it after awhile, I will probably sell or trade it.

2nd...BUY WHAT YOU LOVE AND YOU USUALLY CAN"T GO WRONG! (I know, I say that all the time :sorry: )

Great question. Thanks for asking.

So far, I've only collected covers and splashes (and my vote reflects that). Most of the artwork was purchased only because I enjoyed the artwork itself; in many cases, I've never read the story that the cover/splash reflected.

That said, I've noticed that the big money flows toward the comic books with the great story lines. I love WATCHMEN and I'd love a panel page from the series...but, to my eye, the artwork doesn't dazzle. Its strong and it does its job. But it isn't fantastic in-and-of itself.

But a panel page will sell for a boatload of cash. You'll find a similar situation with Gaiman's Sandman, The Dark Knight Returns (although the artwork in that DOES dazzle me), and on and on.

It seems to me to work this way: We'll pay big money for a flashy cover and splash. We'll pay even bigger money for the significant/iconic storyline that captured our hearts -- but so will everyone else. Sometimes, then, we settle for the flashy cover and splash.

I voted art as well. I use to pick up panels but now try to stay with either splash pages or pages that are "splash like". I have started to sell off all of my newer panel pages but I am still keeping a few because they are from my favorite titles.

I voted for ART myself as well, though I do love the amalgamation of words and pictures that is the comic medium.

Price concerns aside, in terms of modern art, there's really no comparison. There's no story on a modern story page, so it'd definitely be splashes/covers there. More vintage stuff is a bit more of a question of course, but I still feel like the appeal of comic art to me rests on the ART.

Vintage panels v. modern covers is the big showdown though! hm Would I rather have one Watchmen or V page or three top quality modern covers? Of course, when it's an Alex Ross or Jim Lee cover, that changes the equation once again, doesn't it? This is what I'm pondering as the New Year begins...

(HAPPY NEW YEAR!!)

J

i voted for art, but honestly if there was a third choice - Nostalgia - I would have chosen that.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've looked back at my art purchases and I think that more often than not the stupid money comes out when there is nostalgia tied to the piece in question.

The market has really moved to the visual. Especially true with the stronger market towards covers/splashes since I started collecting in the late 1970s. Artists put in about the same amount of work per page or cover- so they use to sell covers for a smaller amount over a page. I even remember thinking you could get more appearances of the heroes in a 5-6 panel page then a page with fewer panels. But the framing/ diplaying preference for a larger/ single image, instead of the text/caption is becoming the standard.

I collect for the art itself. If I want the storyline, I'll collect the trade paperback.

Judging from the premium on prices for covers and splash pages, most collectors do favor the large single image over the panel pages, and are willing to pony up the cash.

Panel pages offer more value but if you want the wow factor, nothing beats framing your covers with a copy of the comic.

I did pick up a slew of panel pages recently from MA Spiderman.

1) I love the artwork

2) they were reasonably priced

3) I love the plotlines. The storys are based on the original classic Lee/Ditko issues. This is the nostalgia factor. I can buy art featuring classic villians and storylines without having to pay $30K for a Ditko panel page. :grin:

Cheers!

N

Vintage panels v. modern covers is the big showdown though! hm Would I rather have one Watchmen or V page or three top quality modern covers? Of course, when it's an Alex Ross or Jim Lee cover, that changes the equation once again, doesn't it? This is what I'm pondering as the New Year begins...

To me, it's no contest: WM or V any day of the week over modern pieces. As far as pretty art goes, there will always be something new coming out that will catch your eye. They're not making any more of the key vintage stuff.

Story over art. This is comic art. If you think you're buying art for art's sake, you're fooling yourself. This will, with rare exception, primarily remain a character, story, and nostalgia-driven hobby. Think about all the expensive art out there. How many are not character, story or nostalgia-driven (i.e. driven ONLY by the art itself). I can think of only a few examples, perhaps James Jean's covers, and some of the true illustrators like Frazetta, Jones, and Wrightson.