• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FX Show in Orlando January 25-27, anyone going?

82 posts in this topic

Busy morning and thus couldn’t get over to Orlando from Tampa until noon. By 12:30 I was in the hall. This year’s show was in the old building of the OCCC, the one I prefer. The hall was smaller than last year’s and made the crowd look a little bigger than the ‘07 Saturday crowd. Or perhaps it was just a bigger crowd. Probably so as last year’s was minuscule. In any event, the venue is one of the best in the Country.

This is a mixed genre show with mostly toy dealers plying their wares.

While I waited for KingOfRulers & MCMiles to arrive, I stopped at Tim Gordon’s booth to read my program. No artists of any interest so I walked over to see the actors: Helen Slater was lovely (KOR should have a pic of me grinning in front of her) & the new Supergirl chick was really pretty (KOR got a pic of her too).

Once KOR arrived we took those pics and walked the floor waiting for MCMiles. There were very few comics dealers in the room. I’ll mention all of the vintage guys. Tim Gordon from Tampa with his usual stock of nice BA, SA, & GA (maybe 20 magazine boxes total). Tom & Joe/Hoohah were sharing a booth of mostly toys (too bad since they have cool books). Chris of H&D was the only out of state dealer and he had some great GA, but I just didn’t make the buy (instead we talked non-comics business stuff per our routine — those who know him know he’s a talker & I always like to hear his take on investments, etc). Chris’ booth was a 10x10 corner for comics & another for toys, etc. This is a small show stock for him. On to Crazy Ed where I looked at BA DC keys & BA ASM keys. KOR worked on some deals with Ed. We didn’t do anything with him and so we visited the CGC booth, then back to Chris where we met MCMiles, who I think might have made some buys from Chris. Then KOR & I visited with Carbo from Neatstuff and talked comics/Led Zep. Back to Ed for about 45 minutes where I picked-up this:

img583-1.jpg

:headbang:

I believe consensus at 9.2 (+?). This is a spam disclaimer too, send some PM’s before I post it! :gossip:

First book I’ve been able to steal from Ed in ages; which I think is as good of an indicator of the comics’ sales activity as a whole (for me it was the best book at the best price in the room but for Chris’ Black Terror — but the Schomburg cover just wasn’t a war cover & I dunno, I passed. It was purchased the second I passed by a well known Florida collector — I might have bought it if he hadn’t swooped in after I passed!! ---- my loss, his gain — he’s super cool so good for him).

KOR was in a suit & tie all day as he had a formal engagement for dinner at 6 so we met back up with MCMiles & Flee (finally got to meet FLEE!!) And headed to Bahama Breeze for dinner at 4:30 — KOR just ate Key Lime pie. I had one beer & salmon; the four of us talked comics for an hour+. This was probably the best part of the day. It is worth mentioning that the waitress was a very tall, Russian beauty. :cloud9:

A short half day or less at the show but tons of fun because comics are nothing but fun.

My wife is happy I didn’t get Helen Slater’s email. :grin:

Here are my new additions FRESH FROM FX.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=25233

Check out the pics section to see me with the beatiful Laura Vandervoot.

Most have been sent off to CGC to be graded. A big kudos to the guys at CGC for all the help today. You guyz rock and you know who you are.

I saw Mr. Tupenny dealing with Crazy Ed. Boy Ed really tried to get those costs down with him if I remember correctly , trying to get him to use his debit card rather then credit card.

Here are my new additions FRESH FROM FX.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=25233

Check out the pics section to see me with the beatiful Laura Vandervoot.

Most have been sent off to CGC to be graded. A big kudos to the guys at CGC for all the help today. You guyz rock and you know who you are.

I saw Mr. Tupenny dealing with Crazy Ed. Boy Ed really tried to get those costs down with him if I remember correctly , trying to get him to use his debit card rather then credit card.

I wish you had introduced yourself sir! Ed is a talented sales executive as everyone knows in the south east!

I forgot to mention Mark from Nashville was in the house!!

Thanks for the report!! I didnt do FX this year cause of prior engagements. We will be at MegaCon setting up with all our supplies though. We are even sponsering the show this year.

I know Ed very well and he is a great salesman. He can talk about just about anything and sell anything as well. He is usually set up with John Andrico who is a really nice person as well. Sounds like you guys had a good time. Glad to hear it and thanks for the report!!

Jeff

KOR was in a suit & tie all day as he had a formal engagement for dinner at 6 so we met back up with MCMiles & Flee (finally got to meet FLEE!!) And headed to Bahama Breeze for dinner at 4:30 — KOR just ate Key Lime pie. I had one beer & salmon; the four of us talked comics for an hour+. This was probably the best part of the day. It is worth mentioning that the waitress was a very tall, Russian beauty. :cloud9:

It was great meeting you too Tupenny. It was a nice small informal board dinner. The best part of the night was listening to you and MCMiles figuring out county by county how to divide up Florida into your respective "turfs". lol Food was good, the waitress was easy on the eyes, and KOR looked like the maitre'd. :baiting:I may post a small report if I go back tomorrow. See you in Tampa.

It was great meeting you too Tupenny. It was a nice small informal board dinner. The best part of the night was listening to you and MCMiles figuring out county by county how to divide up Florida into your respective "turfs". lol Food was good, the waitress was easy on the eyes, and KOR looked like the maitre'd. I may post a small report if I go back tomorrow. See you in Tampa.

I defer to anything MCMiles says FLEE; what else can I do (shrug) ? What would anyone do? He's a tuff guy, I'm a nerd! :gossip:

It was a fun day doing comics all day! I've only bought one book so far, but will go back tomorrow and maybe get something else. Will also be sending CGC some more books. We got a late start on the dinner, so I had to head out early to my next engagement a few buildings down from FX. Oh, and that formal engagement was pretty awesome too. I got to meet and get a picture with John Voight (great actor and father of Angelina Jolie) who was sitting at the same table as me!

Anyway, I am going to be getting some good pics of the Supergirl actress tomorrow. She was gorgeous. I'll get all of the pics up tomorrow! There were barely any comic dealers there. Not much to really do for us comic guys in terms of amount of books to sift through...but it is fun nonetheless.

Short report is got to meet FLEE!! ^^

:shy:
:(

aliengreggy.gif

:roflmao:

Guess you didn't get chosen for the Symantec tour that came through Vancouver recently. :(

I am still coming up. Won't be until February now. I have very little to do with the Anti-Virus side of the house. I am in data protection.

Short report is got to meet FLEE!! ^^

:shy:
:(

aliengreggy.gif

:roflmao:

Guess you didn't get chosen for the Symantec tour that came through Vancouver recently. :(

I am still coming up. Won't be until February now. I have very little to do with the Anti-Virus side of the house. I am in data protection.

I got the restaurant picked out for you already. ^^