• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FX Show in Orlando January 25-27, anyone going?

82 posts in this topic

Weren't you supposed to be at the dinner?????
You coming to Chicago?
Looking into it. hm
So, it's up to you if we ever meet because I'm never going down to Florida :(

Ok. This is my first ever Boards style con report.

I'll go ahead and start with Friday.

I arrived Friday right as KOR was. We were both astounded at the long line waiting to get in. :D . The croud was very thin to say the least. We started at one end to just walk the place and see what kind of comics were being offered, which was not much. There was a pretty good representation of vintage Star Wars this year. It is so hard for me to not buy that stuff. About midway we came to the CGC booth where KOR picked up some recent submissions. He was very pleased with the results since there were no disapointments and a one or two pleasent surprises.

fx08004.jpg

I only had a couple of hours to spend there on Friday so we just made a quick run. I spotted one Timely I liked at Greg White's booth. An All winners #5. I also looked at a couple of fairly early Actions but did not like the spine roll. I made an offer for the AW, which Greg politely declined. Of course he could have counter offered. No big disapointment there though. In nearly 20 years of seeing Greg at shows I have never purchased one book from him - I didn't expect today to be any different. Don't get me wrong, Greg is a nice guy with nice books.

The only purchase I made Friday were a few high grade copper DC war books at 3 for $5.

fx08005.jpg

I had a late start on Saturday partly because I was filling in CGC forms for the 40 books I was going to drop off later. I brought along a short box of doubles, mid grades and things I'm just tired of to trade or sell. After going straight to CGC to drop of my submissions, I went by Tim Gordans booth and left him my short box for some possible trading. Shortly after that I ran in to Tupenny and KOR at Chris Foss' booth. They were looking at some high grade EC's and a few other books, including a Black Terror #13 that I think they thought I was going to jump on. I need that one but I just wasn't in spending mode yet. I Started to look through Chris' "hand picked" high grade boxes where I pulled out a few books with flipping potential including a Defenders #10, and a Very nice Cap #141 which has always managed to elude me for some reason.

Cap141nm.jpg

Tupenny and KOR managed to slip away while I was looking. After finalizing a deal with Chris, I manged to escape :P When I ran in to Flee. We discussed dinner and decided to part ways since we didn't have much time left before dinner.

Returning to Tim's booth we easily worked out a trade. Some of the books I got were some nice Adams Batmans and Detectives including these two, which are always nice to get at guide - cash or trade. :devil:

th_Batman222vf.jpgth_Batman227vf2.jpg

These are some of the others I snagged in the trade.

th_Strangeadventure212nm-.jpgth_Cap110nm-.jpg

And this beauty!

Chillingtales13vg.jpg

While working the deal with Tim, Tom, another local dealer, came by and made a pretty nice purchase out of my short box. That was perfect. I was now leaving the show with more money than I came with and some new comics. That is about when Flee came along and we called KOR and Tupenny to meet for dinner. That was fun, the place was a little loud but we still had some nice comic geek conversation.

Time was short for me all week end, so I didn't really get around to see waht guests were there. That really isn't my thing anyway, I just go for comics.....and to check out the occasional hotty. :headbang:

You coming to Chicago?
Looking into it. hm
So, it's up to you if we ever meet because I'm never going down to Florida :(
I'm sure our paths will cross soon. :foryou: In the meantime, I have my Greggy9000 to keep me company. :D

Pay $25 to meet someone? Why? This is TupennyConan's next best thing to paying $25! Just stand in front of them and smile.

Bill.jpg

Oh and great report Mike!

Helen (and some fan too hm ) :cloud9:

lol

Yep. Got a call at about 4 PM that a friend had a ceiling cave in due to a water line break. Figured there was no way to say halfway through hanging the new one I needed to go attend a dinner with my comic book buddies.

It was MUCH bigger then OrlandoCon. I was in line at 8:30 on Saturday (I pre-order tickets so I was able to go in at 9) and the line for 10 oclock was fairly long. Overall I thought there was a nice amount of attendees. Not crazy like a Megacon or dead like the OrlandoCon. The longest I waited in line was for the gorgeous Laura Vandervoot which was about 25 min. Overall the lines were fairly short for autographs. I was surprised however at how consistant and long the line was for Adam West even though he was charging $50 for an autograph.

The line for the guy from Serenity was cosistantly the longest. With at least 30 people in line everytime I walked by.

And the line for the photo ops wrapped around about 4 times to.

Luckily there were little to no waits in the artist area. I was able to get at least 2 commissions done by each of the artists there.

I don't think we have any board members who were dealers. Last year I and Tupennyconan as well as Mcmiles had a booth, but not so this year.
Board member Hoohah set up this year as well as last year. I'll ask him to give a report. Attendance appeared to be about the same to me.

I don't think we have any board members who were dealers. Last year I and Tupennyconan as well as Mcmiles had a booth, but not so this year.
Board member Hoohah set up this year as well as last year. I'll ask him to give a report. Attendance appeared to be about the same to me.

Hoohah was sharing a booth with Tom.

Someone needs to get Tom on these Boards. Talk about a man who loves & knows comics!

I wish Tim G. would join too but he just isn't into the internet. Doesn't even buy stuff on eBay.