• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Note to Harley Yee

28 posts in this topic

If you read this forum, please think about leaving more than 3 seconds between your auctions. I was prepared to bid substantially to win the following two auctions, but the logistics of acquiring both caused me to stay out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2194325371

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2194325380

893frustrated.gif

Yeah!

3 mins minimum between auctions people! sign-rantpost.gif

I always try to get at least 2 items for a seller if possible and if they end at the same time... tonofbricks.gif

Why didn't you use that shweet snipe software you turned me onto!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was working it out last night, and the delay in bidding (usually min 5 seconds) and the Bid Logic part of the software didn't allow sufficient time to confirm the initial win for 164, before bidding was enabled on 165.

I was going for all or nothing on those two, and had to choose nothing.

Yeah!

I always try to get at least 2 items for a seller if possible and if they end at the same time... tonofbricks.gif

Click here for the solution to this problem - for a one-time fee of $13 you can snipe as much as you want...no extra fees, no expiration date, no problemos!

Click here for the solution to this problem - for a one-time fee of $13 you can snipe as much as you want...no extra fees, no expiration date, no problemos!

That's a superb piece of software, but even it can't get around the logistics of needing to win two auctions that end within 3 seconds of each other.

There is a great Bid Logic piece to the Snipe package, but even it has limitations and needs time to download and confirm the updated info from EBay.

For those unfamiliar with the package, it has a If/Then type of option, where If you win Item # XXXXXXX (up to 3 items), it will enable bidding for the current item.

With only 3 seconds between these two auctions, and time needed to Bid, then Update and Confirm the wins, there was absolutely no time for it to confirm I won 164 and then start the bid for 165.

Yeah!

The software also has a problem with the firewall ZoneAlarm Pro preventing it from getting the confirmation key eBay generates. A recent patch to ZoneAlarm (freeware) fixed the problem with that version, but not the Pro version.

What was wrong with just doing it the old fashioned way and putting in a bid on each, no more than you were willing to pay? Was it a case of, if you didn't win the first one, you didn't want the 2nd one?

Yep, I had no use for a single book in that scenario, as the lure was potentially getting both. I have tons of those three issues, but nabbing 2 CGC 9.6's at one time would have been worth it.

The software also has a problem with the firewall ZoneAlarm Pro preventing it from getting the confirmation key eBay generates. A recent patch to ZoneAlarm (freeware) fixed the problem with that version, but not the Pro version.

I've never had a problem using it with Zonealarm and I've run the software for a couple of years now.

I've never had a problem using it with Zonealarm and I've run the software for a couple of years now.

You using the ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP) or just ZoneAlarm (ZA) freeware? I'm using ZAP on WinXP. Previously I was using ZAP on WinME and the AuctionMagic Snipe worked OK on that combo.

Funny you haven't had any problems with it -- their change history has two September "revisions" that cite customers having problems. They suggested that it was an automatic ZoneAlarm update that caused the problem:

"It appears some kind of automatic update to ZoneAlarm is blocking Snipe's internet access to specific functions, such as when bidding getting a confirmation error. Disabling Zone Alarm should get around this, possible solutions are un-installing it and re-downloading it, and resetting all your permissions, and making sure Merlin and all the standard windows internet functions are given permission to access the internet."

Later they suggested that the current version of ZA was solving customers' problems. They don't specifically make any distinction between ZA and ZAP though.

Well, if you ever do start having problems, you'll have an idea where to look for the source of them!

Funny you haven't had any problems with it -- their change history has two September "revisions" that cite customers having problems.

Then that's the solution, don't auto-update. thumbsup2.gif

I'm on XP with a version I nabbed long ago and manually updated this Summer. I have a wireless router so I'm not so concerned about keeping up to date for inbound and really use it to monitor outgoing and potential spyware.

nabbing 2 CGC 9.6's at one time would have been worth it.

Hey, aren't you the guy that's bashing hi-grade CGC collectors, preaching impending doom and gloom on the coming crash, and saying you would never pay high multiples for an over-priced hi-grade CGC graded comic?

What gives?

There are exceptions? smirk.gif