• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #71 gettin a lil crazy? *possible spoiler*

36 posts in this topic

I have heard good things about this movie. I'll have to go rent it next weekend.

Blah. You know what's amazing about movies like "The Italian Job" and "School of Rock"? They're completely standard, mediocre, by-the-book movies and nobody cares because they don't just outright SUCK like so many films lately. There's something to be said for formulaic, cliche-riddled, "Pop" films, I guess?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them specifically because I enjoy formulaic, cliche-riddled, "Pop" films... but I liked Jack Black better in "High Fidelity." thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Are you talking about the Michael Caine original or Ed Norton re-make?

The remake, and please don't get into the flaws of the movie...

I was just stating that it was a pretty good flick to make the point that not every movie on 2003 needs to fall back on hack-work like gratuitous sex or killing a thousand people to create excitement or anticipation.

Or as a couple of gals stated "that's why it made so much money, women would actually go see it". grin.gif

Are you talking about the Michael Caine original or Ed Norton re-make?

The remake, and please don't get into the flaws of the movie...

I was just stating that it was a pretty good flick to make the point that not every movie on 2003 needs to fall back on hack-work like gratuitous sex or killing a thousand people to create excitement or anticipation.

Or as a couple of gals stated "that's why it made so much money, women would actually go see it". grin.gif

That's what I'm saying... there's something to be said for Vanilla Films these days. Old is new again.

Actually Vince, I wasn't going to have a go at the remake, because I haven't seen it. I don't believe in putting the boot in unless I have seen./ read/ heard it first.

Then I put the boot in. grin.gif

From what I understand of the remake, the connection to the original is fairly tenuous.

All I was saying was that the original is actually a really fun movie too, and if you are a fan of the original Mini Cooper design, it's a FANTASTIC movie.

The remake of 'Get Carter' on the other hand, compared with the original (and all other sane film reference points), blows chunks big time.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them specifically because I enjoy formulaic, cliche-riddled, "Pop" films... but I liked Jack Black better in "High Fidelity." thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I liked Jack better in 'Saving Silverman(!),' even though Fidelity is a personal favorite.

As far as Avengers 71 - it's a stupid ploy for attention that was 'OK'd' by Marvel editorial and then 'wink-wink' given the adult tag as a 'just-in-case' to cover their butts with retailers. I guess we should be thankful that Marvel gave everyone a... uhhhh... "heads-up" about the content, but should it really have been OK'd in the first place? "No," is my answer - for a regular Marvel book. Save it for the MAX line & look at how Bendis uses mature themes in Alias to show weaknesses & strengths in the characters.

Good thread, guys.

The big discussion on the Avengers Message Boards is what is Hank Pym covered in, sweat or ?

Geoff Johns (writer) has also been quoted as saying the artist took some liberties with the -script, but he set up the scene - so this is a lame excuse.

- D.

893frustrated.gif

I think what he's covered in is pretty obvious.......and should go without saying.

The sheer logistics of it.........it would be impossible not to get drenched in it. It gives "exchanging fluids" a whole other meaning.

I pet Pym HAS to shrink down, because it's the only way he's able to "navigate the terrain".

Oh god, this comic IS so awful, that I can't not comment. It's like a car wreck....I can't look away.

Oh god, this comic IS so awful, that I can't not comment. It's like a car wreck....I can't look away.

27_laughing.gif I feel the same way. That damn Marvel keeps roping me in with schlock like this, Rawhide Kid, Marville, Trouble, etc. Hopefully with Jemas on his way out, there will be fewer of these "car wreck" books that I will feel compelled to purchase.

Gene

On a different note regarding this book, It's nice to see some really freaky psycho [!@#%^&^] going on in the mainstream books like Avengers. More than just enough to show how empowered a character the Wasp is.

I hope they start keeping this trend going...it a little darker than usual, but also a bit more realistic....I mean really, was whirlwind EVER going to take over the world? sign-rantpost.gif

I see some folks are trying to sell the PSR cover of this on eBay.

Did this come out with a "Mature" rating cover? I went to two stores this evening and all of the copies were "PSR".

Gene

The Marvel announcement only said they were waiting an extra week to allow word to get to all the retailers that the comic should be sold as a MAX title. There was nothing about reprinting or anything like that.

Anyone who bought the PSR book on Ebay thinking they were going to get a "tough" book are out a few pennies insane.gif

I liked the story too - very mature though, my 10 year old won't be reading it.

- Dave

I've got to agree that it is totally "inappropriate" for this kind of material to be in the "Avengers". I don't know what Marvel's editors are thinking sometimes. I'm all for lots of sex and violence in books that normally feature such vices, but it is just wrong in a book like the Avengers that is supposed to be a bit more innocent and fun. I hope Marvel gets into some hot water for this because they sure deserve it.