• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most over-rated overpriced book of all time

408 posts in this topic

My vote is for all the artifically created collectables- any $.35 variant, any variant cover, any slabbed high grade X-Men books, yadda yadda.

:)

.35 variants aren't "artifically (sic) created collectables (sic)," tho. They're the exact opposite, in fact (thumbs u

in the GA, my vote is probably for Suspense #3....yes, the cover is ultra cool, but there are several other "equally" cool and comparable schomburg covers (ok, maybe a notch below, but that sell for 1/20th the price)...and, quite honestly, the stories stink....

rick

I would have to agree with this,. It's a great classic cover, just think it commands more $$ than it should. IMO.

in the GA, my vote is probably for Suspense #3....yes, the cover is ultra cool, but there are several other "equally" cool and comparable schomburg covers (ok, maybe a notch below, but that sell for 1/20th the price)...and, quite honestly, the stories stink....so, while the cover is cool, the contents are rotten

rick

Rick you actually looked inside?Nothing to see here just move along..

My vote is for all the artifically created collectables- any $.35 variant, any variant cover, any slabbed high grade X-Men books, yadda yadda.

.35 variants aren't "artifically (sic) created collectables (sic)," tho. They're the exact opposite, in fact (thumbs u

only the Kid Colt 218 :baiting:

in the GA, my vote is probably for Suspense #3....yes, the cover is ultra cool, but there are several other "equally" cool and comparable schomburg covers (ok, maybe a notch below, but that sell for 1/20th the price)...and, quite honestly, the stories stink....so, while the cover is cool, the contents are rotten

rick

Rick you actually looked inside?Nothing to see here just move along..

yep, I read every book I buy....I looked at a gd/vg copy, and while inspecting the interior, started to read the first story...awful...went to the next one, awful, tried to read the 3rd, and politely put the book back into the mylar...

gator

I`ll agree with Suspense 3

Also ASM #1, ASM #300, Hulk #181 and Tec #31

argh...I was with you all the way to the last one :makepoint:

Sorry Rick, but I just think Bob Kane sucks too much as an artist for any of his covers to command a premium.

I`ll agree with Suspense 3

Also ASM #1, ASM #300, Hulk #181 and Tec #31

argh...I was with you all the way to the last one :makepoint:

Sorry Rick, but I just think Bob Kane sucks too much as an artist for any of his covers to command a premium.

I can live with that, but, it is the second best pre Robin story of them all, so that gets some brownie points from me...and, the cover is pretty darned cool...so, unlike Suspense 3, which is all cover, tec 31 has quality (as far as kane goes) story

I thought it was a question about all time and not just overvalued today. Although good one on the X-men sale....

Captain Marvel Special Edition 1: Has this book ever been in demand?

If the Devil Would Talk nn: downward spiral highlighted by a sale of a CGC 9.4 or 9.6 copy for around $600. This used to be mentioned in the same breat as AF 15, FF1 and Showcase 4.

Donald Duck tells about Kites nn: The opposite of a barn burner yet it used to be the Donald Duck to own book outside of Four Color 9 - another lackluster book historically. Representative of all giveaways in general.

Howard the Duck 1: Representative of the first speculation craze during the late 70s to early 80's. I almost picked Dazzler 1 but that book never had value. Howard the Duck 1 used to be a $10-$20 book and now.....

Daredevil 131: Representative of the rise and fall of a key(?) book due to the perfect storm of CGC, ebay and movie hype. Didn't a 9.6 sell for $1000? Not so much any more.

Current book: I'll go with Secret Wars 8. Not a great book and infinite supply.

Forecast book: TMNT 1 - these characters will be in the trash bin in 10-15 years and #1 will be a nice conversation piece. Just a prediction.

Agreed. And they're a valid collecting genre that wasn't intentionally foisted upon collectors. I do think some of the prices are crazy though for issues that wouldn't fetch $5 with a 30 cent cover.

And the Star Wars variant leads the crop for outrageous price not only for 35 centers but Bronze comics in general...

Jim