• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars...Has it held up over the test of time?

113 posts in this topic

Held the test of time?

Maybe the toilet of time.

It was never good in the first place. :sick:

I read the 12 issues Mini Secret wars back in the day as they were comming out. :cloud9: I have always thought of those comics as GREAT! :headbang: I was just wondering have they held up over the years? Has anyone read this as of late? I never went back to reread it. I kinda dont want to. I always pick things apart now. I would hate to reread it and hate it. Thoughts?

I feel exactly the same way. My dad bought me tons of comics from mid-75 until about mid-80. The next comic I owned I picked up for myself. It was Secret Wars #4. I was re-hooked In my mind, at the time, it was like every nerdboy battle-royale scenario I had ever dreamed up. I haven't read it since then. There is no way it will be as cool as it still is in my mind.

I still remember walking into my LCS & seeing that cover for the 1st time.... :o

0sssubsw4.jpg

Loved how Reed handled Banner in that situation. (thumbs u

I read the 12 issues Mini Secret wars back in the day as they were comming out. :cloud9: I have always thought of those comics as GREAT! :headbang: I was just wondering have they held up over the years? Has anyone read this as of late? I never went back to reread it. I kinda dont want to. I always pick things apart now. I would hate to reread it and hate it. Thoughts?

Seriously, friend Bronze. I, too, read these as they came out and, as the series conitinued, my reaction was increasingly :o :o :o

This series was one of the major contributors to my hitting SA/GA.

Great cover on #4. It isn't so much the quality of Layton's art as it is the whole concept itself. Very dramatic & awe inspiring. This was back in the Marvel Universe days where all the really strong heroes topped-out at 100 ton lifts. Here we see billions. The Hulk!

But isn't this cover what this thread is really all about? Check out Cyclops' Silver age style visor.

img100.jpg

Bring on the bad guys :headbang:

01bobsw6.jpg

:headbang: Some people liked them some hated them. Back in my teens i loved them!!! I think i felt the same way looking at the cover of #4....I could not wait to read it!!! I remember getting thur the new one and reading it again and again before the next one came out! Good Times!!! :cloud9: Where are these comics today? Dont get me wrong i still buy moderns. But never that feeling....well maybe once in a while. hm

Good Times!!! Where are these comics today? Dont get me wrong i still buy moderns. But never that feeling....well maybe once in a while. hm

Somewhere, some kid or teen feels this way about a book that hit the stands last week. I know of a 15 year old who feels that way about Ultimate Spider-Man, and I have no doubt that 15 years from now, he's going to ask the very same question you're asking above. It's never really about the books themselves.

Good Times!!! Where are these comics today? Dont get me wrong i still buy moderns. But never that feeling....well maybe once in a while. hm

Somewhere, some kid or teen feels this way about a book that hit the stands last week. I know of a 15 year old who feels that way about Ultimate Spider-Man, and I have no doubt that 15 years from now, he's going to ask the very same question you're asking above. It's never really about the books themselves.

I was 12 when Secret Wars was hitting the stands. Life was much simpler then.... :cloud9:

hm Then the kids today are being short changed!!!! lol

I was 12 when Secret Wars was hitting the stands. Life was much simpler then.... :cloud9:

:cloud9: 35? I am 35. I wonder if everyone who liked the comic in this thread so far is right around 35. hm

:cloud9: 35? I am 35. I wonder if everyone who liked the comic in this thread so far is right around 35. hm

:hi: 36. Loved it when I read it back then and loved it when I bought the trade about a year ago. I think I still have all the old issues in a box I am saving for my son.

I would bet in about 6 years when he is 12 and he reads it( :wishluck:) he will love it too.

(thumbs u