• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars...Has it held up over the test of time?

113 posts in this topic

How many figures did you have in your collection? Just GI Joe? Any other toy lines? I find it interesting to hear what people sell things for that i owed at one point or another. Some of the prices you have said you got are crazy. Really feel like kicking myself because i destroyed the toys I had and kept all the comics. What comic from the 80s would ever net me 1500. if i sold it. NONE!!! I dont think i could get 500 total for all my 80s comics. :cry:

Just G.I Joe. It's true that the toys were the things to keep in the 80's, much like comics were in the 60s. I'm also interested in He-Man, Thundercats, and Transformers, since those are mostly what I grew up with, but I have yet to take the plunge. I'm trying to stay away. Thundercats are extremely tough to find MOC in decent shape, and Transformers are extremely expensive, more so than Joes. They also take up too much space.

I had about 40 MOC joes at one point, some were dupes, but I had most of the first 4 series complete. And they were all in very high grade. The notables are the original Snake Eyes, which I sold for about 3K, a Cobra Commander which I sold for 1.7K, Storm Shadow at 1.5K, etc...and most of these sales were private, going only to 2 different collectors. The rest were mostly in the $350-$900 range, and nothing lower than $200. But keep in mind, I bought most of these in the last 5 years as a collector. They weren't purchased by me for $2.99 each in 1984, and saved all these years either. I'm younger than you are, and destroyed most of mine as well. lol

How many figures did you have in your collection? Just GI Joe? Any other toy lines? I find it interesting to hear what people sell things for that i owed at one point or another. Some of the prices you have said you got are crazy. Really feel like kicking myself because i destroyed the toys I had and kept all the comics. What comic from the 80s would ever net me 1500. if i sold it. NONE!!! I dont think i could get 500 total for all my 80s comics. :cry:

Just G.I Joe. It's true that the toys were the things to keep in the 80's, much like comics were in the 60s. I'm also interested in He-Man, Thundercats, and Transformers, since those are mostly what I grew up with, but I have yet to take the plunge. I'm trying to stay away. Thundercats are extremely tough to find MOC in decent shape, and Transformers are extremely expensive, more so than Joes. They also take up too much space.

I had about 40 MOC joes at one point, some were dupes, but I had most of the first 4 series complete. And they were all in very high grade. The notables are the original Snake Eyes, which I sold for about 3K, a Cobra Commander which I sold for 1.7K, Storm Shadow at 1.5K, etc...and most of these sales were private, going only to 2 different collectors. The rest were mostly in the $350-$900 range, and nothing lower than $200. But keep in mind, I bought most of these in the last 5 years as a collector. They weren't purchased by me for $2.99 each in 1984, and saved all these years either. I'm younger than you are, and destroyed most of mine as well. lol

Ohhhh Ok, I had pictured you buying these back in the day and keeping them Mint. Those are some insane prices your throwing around of what you sold some of them for!!! What was the most you paid for one of those toys? Close to the selling price? I could see why you would want to get out in fear the O rings broke. Thats just not even funny!

Good Times!!! Where are these comics today? Dont get me wrong i still buy moderns. But never that feeling....well maybe once in a while. hm

Somewhere, some kid or teen feels this way about a book that hit the stands last week. I know of a 15 year old who feels that way about Ultimate Spider-Man, and I have no doubt that 15 years from now, he's going to ask the very same question you're asking above. It's never really about the books themselves.

I was 12 when Secret Wars was hitting the stands. Life was much simpler then.... :cloud9:

:cloud9: 35? I am 35. I wonder if everyone who liked the comic in this thread so far is right around 35. hm

37 here. I actually started collecting comics around the time Secret Wars 2 began but went back and picked up Secret Wars. A couple of weeks ago, I actually had them out ready to re-read for the first time since, uh, probably 1986 or so, but I decided to re-read Contest of Champions first. After I finished that, I was worried that Secret Wars would be as bad so I put them away :) and started re-reading Sandman instead.

I have really good memories of Secret Wars but after the Contest of Champions reality slap to the face, I decided I didn't want to know the Red Dawn Factor (RDF) of Secret Wars and Secret Wars 2 :grin:

(RDF - Red Dawn Factor: Remembering that something from your youth was extremely cool/good and after deciding to go back and re-read/watch it again for the first time since Reagan was in the White House, realizing, it wasn't...at all.)

I remembered Contest of Champions being really good too...

I'm 39 and remember those being decent also - except I recall the colors being weird in SW - so weird that it gave the book a kind of 'fake' quality...

I had COC 1 & 2 forever and wondered for years how it ended until I got #3 and was like...'oh.'

As for Red Dawn...couldn't tell you how many hours I stared out the classroom window, just PRAYING that Soviet Paratroopers would start falling out of the sky...I can only assume that if I watched it tonight I would have the same reaction I did seeing Rambo II last month...'this was a lot cooler when I was 15...'

I remember buying 2 copies of Secret Wars #1 off the comic rack at the local grocery store and thinking that it would be big sometime. This was big thing for me as I never had purchased multiple copies of a book before.

Here are my memories of Secret Wars:

The art on that first book was great. The cover... awesome. That double page splash of all the heroes arriving...also awesome. The sequence when Galactus is flying up to the stars... the best Galactus I had ever seen, and the last page with the introduction of the villains... awesome. Every page was a work of art that I could look at over and over. But, the story left me longing for more. I figured it was only the first issue however.

Issue #2 came... more of the same... still waiting for something to happen... Issue #3... X-men and Spidey - yeah! And, the introduction of two new female characters. Issue #4... Great cover. Wait - what happened on the interior? This isn't Zeck! Issue #5... more X-Men on the cover, but I have no idea what's going on - just a lot of fighting. Issue #6 - the Wasp gets shot... oh no! The Lizard's not that bad of a guy afterall. Issue #7... wait, this Spidergirl looks just like the Black Spider-man, just not as cool... come one where's that Black Spidey? Issue #8... finally... Black Spidey... but that's all the origin I get? Buy up multiple copies of this one because it's definitely going to be worth something someday (you remember what Spider-man #252's were going for right after they came out). Issue #9... come on tell me more about this Black Spidey costume. What, you're really not going to tell me anything more?!! Issue #10.. alright something is finally beginning to happen, and isn't that the coolest cover ever. Issue #11... That can't be Doom's face that he's been hiding all these years. Isn't this series ever going to end? Issue #12... That's a pretty crappy cover compared to the other ones... and it's pink - that sucks! At least it's double-sized! Battle... battle... who the hell is this Beyonder anyway? Everyone goes home, except for the Thing who sits alone on the planet. The end! Now go back to read the issues that ended the month Secret Wars began and see if they make more sense.

I remember buying 2 copies of Secret Wars #1 off the comic rack at the local grocery store and thinking that it would be big sometime. This was big thing for me as I never had purchased multiple copies of a book before.

I bought multiples of the first 3 issues, probably as many as 6 each, & still have them. I never considered buying multiples of #8 :tonofbricks:lol

My #8 graded at 9.6 White & I sold it before the last movie --- like everyone else in America. It is one of the few (2-3 tops) books from my original collection that I have ever sold.

A little late to the party, but BAF this is exactly why collectibles are just that.

Very few people saved comic books until the early sixties, and it didn't get really "mainstream" until the 70's. That's why early books are hard to find. No one saved them so the surviving examples are expensive.

Same thing with toys, especially "dolls"" Action Figures".

Thank the investment gods that you did open up, play with and ultimately destroy those toys. That's why they are hard to find now, and people with disposable incomes are trying to recapture their childhood. Nothing wrong with that.

I've got a boatload of dolls Action Figures, mint on cards, Batman, Thunderbirds, Tracy (after the movie), Super Powers, X-Men etc. I have never tried to sell them, after all I am a collector.

Anyway, every time someone tells me "ooh, I used to have that, I wish I'd saved it, it's worth... " I thank them for destroying it and creating a collectibles market.

If every issue of Action #1 that was printed was still out there, what do you think the "value" would be?

A little late to the party, but BAF this is exactly why collectibles are just that.

Very few people saved comic books until the early sixties, and it didn't get really "mainstream" until the 70's. That's why early books are hard to find. No one saved them so the surviving examples are expensive.

Same thing with toys, especially "dolls"" Action Figures".

Thank the investment gods that you did open up, play with and ultimately destroy those toys. That's why they are hard to find now, and people with disposable incomes are trying to recapture their childhood. Nothing wrong with that.

I've got a boatload of dolls Action Figures, mint on cards, Batman, Thunderbirds, Tracy (after the movie), Super Powers, X-Men etc. I have never tried to sell them, after all I am a collector.

Anyway, every time someone tells me "ooh, I used to have that, I wish I'd saved it, it's worth... " I thank them for destroying it and creating a collectibles market.

If every issue of Action #1 that was printed was still out there, what do you think the "value" would be?

Great Point!!! You hit the nail on the head!!! (worship)

Just sold this gem a little while ago for $617.

Baroness32fr.jpg

Baroness was hawt when I was a kid.

Still kinda.

She had that librarian thing going on….now Scarlett.... :cloud9:

Evil librarian!! :devil:

Just sold this gem a little while ago for $617.

Baroness32fr.jpg

Baroness was hawt when I was a kid.

Still kinda.

She had that librarian thing going on….now Scarlett.... :cloud9:

Evil librarian!! :devil:

The best kind! :cloud9: