• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where can I buy these/Anyone use these?..

21 posts in this topic

http://www.millcase.com/

Looking for the best/cheapest place I can order these on line at as well as there convention cases!

Also wondering if anyone here uses these and just how well they work! Would they be good to ship books in / help protect books?.. I am also wondering about there convention cases as well there are two different kinds It would be nice to know how well they work and how many comics you can store in them! I'm thinking something like this would be handy for storing either my sketch book it self in or sketchs if they would fit or comics that I take to get signed or buy at cons!

I'd like to try one. I wonder if they will fit Silver Age books? And how do they stay firm inside the plastic holder...seems like the book would move around...?

Anyway, I like what I see so I'll contact the company and report back.

http://www.millcase.com/

Looking for the best/cheapest place I can order these on line at as well as there convention cases!

Also wondering if anyone here uses these and just how well they work! Would they be good to ship books in / help protect books?..

I haven't used one of these, but I don't think they'd be any good for protective shipping. They're made of thin, rigid plastic a lot like a CD jewel case. There's a very real risk that the case could shatter, and that the plastic shards could shred the cover of a comic. Much better for display/storage purposes, I think.

I got one of these with a book I purchased last year. I didn't like it. It's a bit of a hassle to open and close and I was worried the whole time about mangling or denting the book.

I think mylites/full backs or mylars is a better storage option. As far as shipping, mylite/full back/thoughtful packaging is the way to go.

I got one of these with a book I purchased last year. I didn't like it. It's a bit of a hassle to open and close and I was worried the whole time about mangling or denting the book.

I think mylites/full backs or mylars is a better storage option. As far as shipping, mylite/full back/thoughtful packaging is the way to go.

Sean, do the books move around in these puppies? That sux if it does.

Would you recommend storing an FF1 in one of these permanently in a safe or something or just store it in a mylar?

Would you recommend storing an FF1 in one of these permanently in a safe or something or just store it in a mylar?

My golden age and HG silver/bronze have traditionally been in mylars. I'm converting now to full backs and mylites. Getting books in and out of mylar can be tricky. Mylites have less damage potential and full-backs are TOUGHT. I'd go with one of those storage options, or, if you're not planning on looking through the FF1 every so often and it's mid-to high grade, consider having it slabbed. It's a book that's been reprinted enough you can find the story elsewhere.

Be carefull of safes though. Some people have had humidity/rusting problems with them. Do a search for rusty staples.

My golden age and HG silver/bronze have traditionally been in mylars. I'm converting now to full backs and mylites. Getting books in and out of mylar can be tricky. Mylites have less damage potential and full-backs are TOUGHT. I'd go with one of those storage options, or, if you're not planning on looking through the FF1 every so often and it's mid-to high grade, consider having it slabbed. It's a book that's been reprinted enough you can find the story elsewhere.

Be carefull of safes though. Some people have had humidity/rusting problems with them. Do a search for rusty staples.

Thanks Sean. My FF1 has been slabbed (6.5 Blue I won at Heritage...WHITE pages). I unslabbed it to enjoy it and I HAD to view those pages. It's in an open mylar in my safe. No humidity problems yet in my safe. It's supposedly safe for docs & collectibles. But I think I'll order one of those Mill Cases. I'd just like one of those cases to put the FF1 in permanently and open it if needed.

Are those Mill Cases completely inert materials to your knowledge? Or are they regular plastic like Wal Mart clear CD holders?

Thanks Sean. My FF1 has been slabbed (6.5 Blue I won at Heritage...WHITE pages). I unslabbed it to enjoy it and I HAD to view those pages. It's in an open mylar in my safe. No humidity problems yet in my safe. It's supposedly safe for docs & collectibles. But I think I'll order one of those Mill Cases. I'd just like one of those cases to put the FF1 in permanently and open it if needed.

Are those Mill Cases completely inert materials to your knowledge? Or are they regular plastic like Wal Mart clear CD holders?

If you have an FF 1 in a home safe, you really need to read the past threads on rusty staples. The issue was not humidity but rather the fireproofing chemicals used in the safe that caused the rust. Please take some time and check this out. You don't want to be surprised in a year or two.

I had some of these from a collection I bought. Personally I would not put my good stuff in them as the issue of bumping an edge removing/opening them and or something else is pretty high in my opinion. Your mileage may vary though.

what about the convention cases though?.. Pretty much the same thing?.. What do you guys use to protect/haul you're sketch books/comics around at a convention guys?.. I am looking for some ideas here... Last year I got sick 5 days before a con I went to and better before it just intime so I had a cart with me I was hauling around how ever I've since found that carts rather suck & they get in the way, or more people are too dumb to know how to walk around them WTF! A year before than I used one of those lil tax file folder type cases but found it to be too heavy and bulky in general ... Not sure what I am going to use next year maybe just a regular old back pack but I can't see any good books I buy lasting too well in one or anything I have signed...

If you have an FF 1 in a home safe, you really need to read the past threads on rusty staples. The issue was not humidity but rather the fireproofing chemicals used in the safe that caused the rust. Please take some time and check this out. You don't want to be surprised in a year or two.

Thanks Transplant & Sean. I read the fireproof safe thread. Scarry!!!

Thanks Transplant & Sean. I read the fireproof safe thread. Scarry!!!

Not to derail this thread, I just wanted to share some final comments about the fireproof safe thing just mentioned above. I've had a Fortress, which is a comic sealer produced in the 90s, in my safe for many years. No comic in it just an empty extra sealer if needed. (The sealer has been stored in it's nice black cloth cover provided by Fortress). It has 12 lock down metal silver screws on the edges that hold it together. Simply loosen the screws and insert your comic book. I just pulled the Fortress out of my Sears fireproof safe and sure enough the screws have started to rust! The Fortress has always been in the safe since purchase INSIDE the cloth cover.

Coincidentally, my cuz just sent me last week a book that he wants me to consign and it's been in a Fortress for about the same time. It's been stored in his bedroom drawer and NEVER seen the light of day. I personally put his book in the Fortress in the '90s. The screws on his Fortress are perfectly shiny NEW. Since mine was stored in a fireproof safe and his was not, I'm beginning to believe that safes DO create humid conditions and can rust some metals.

So, based on all this bullcrap and after reading the threads on Fireproof safes suggested above, I took my FF1 out of my safe!!

I owe Transplant and Sean a steak dinner & a peep show !!

I really like how they say there is "less offgassing than mylar"

If this is so much better than mylar why don't they say what it is made out of?

I rarely if ever get asked about these. I can and will carry them if people are willing to buy them but I just don't think they are safe "archivally speaking"

My best guess is this is a polycarbonate or fiberglass.

I used to take my books in what is called a salesmans briefcase. I got it a long time ago, made out of leather, it was double as wide as a regular briefcase and when you set it down, it had a flat bottom to stand up right. There are two flaps on the top that open up (they fold over each other with the handle to hold while you walk around). Best, probably not, but ok. I have never had a problem with a good sized cardboard box inside a backpack either.

As far as rusty screws go, find yourself a GOOD hardware store and buy STAINLESS STEEL screws to replace those others with. Yes they might cost you .20 a screw but if you can't afford that...well...