• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Next Hot Artist

27 posts in this topic

While posting on whether Randy Green/Aaron Lopresti/Joyce Chin will ever climb to "the next level", another thought occurred to me (and I was afraid, if I didn't post it now, it would nag at me):

Who do you think will be the next hot comic book artist...and who do you think is overrated or overpriced?

Its his name, like being named Ted Williams Jr. and selling memorabilia.

More like Dom Dimaggio......had a few nice hits of his own.

C

"Hot" artists come and go. Just check the Wizard Top 10 list (do they still do that?). As far as that goes, though, if there's any justice in the world, Cliff Chiang should be there. The more I see of his stuff, the more I like it.

Going past "hot" would be an artist who would define a decade. I'm thinking of Kirby in the 60's, Neal Adams/BWS in the 70's, Miller/Byrne in the 80's, McFarlane/Lee in the 90's...you get it. I think a couple of current names who have a shot at that status would be John Cassaday and Eric Powell (moreso if he were to work on a Big 2 book for a stretch).

"Hot" artists come and go. Just check the Wizard Top 10 list (do they still do that?). As far as that goes, though, if there's any justice in the world, Cliff Chiang should be there. The more I see of his stuff, the more I like it.

Going past "hot" would be an artist who would define a decade. I'm thinking of Kirby in the 60's, Neal Adams/BWS in the 70's, Miller/Byrne in the 80's, McFarlane/Lee in the 90's...you get it. I think a couple of current names who have a shot at that status would be John Cassaday and Eric Powell (moreso if he were to work on a Big 2 book for a stretch).

I totally agree with Cassaday and would add Bryan Hitch, those two seem to have help usher in the "realistic" depiction of superheroes we're seeing now.

Cassaday and Hitch is that good! Considering both has worked in comics for a long time. Epting is up there, too. Another one that should be mentioned about the artist of the decade but not really that strong for contention is Bagley. I agree about comics taking a realistic approach. What? No love for Ross?

Who do you think will be the next hot comic book artist...

Shane Davis - Hasn't done a lot of work but looks like Jim Lee and is getting top assignments. Can he deliver? We shall see.

Mitch Breitweiser - I thought he looked like Cassaday at first, but having seen his art all through Chosen, I don't feel that way anymore. I think he could be his own man, which is a good thing.

Ivan Reis - He's been on a book (GL) that's been getting hotter and hotter. And he's really stepped up his game to match. Looking forward to seeing him keep it going.

Steve Epting - Ditto to Reis really.

Benes, Van Sciver, Cassaday, Hitch, Ross - These guys are already hot, right? So they can't be the next hot artist... :D They can get in line to be legends, if their work/legacy hold up over the years. Probably Ross is bound for the Hall of Fame no matter what he does from here on out. I guess I feel there are manufactured hot artists (art prices/studio push).

and who do you think is overrated

This is probably totally unfair because there are a lot of guys, but Lentil Yu is the first one to come to mind. I just don't like his style on a big hero book like New Avengers. And now he's on Secret Invasion. Eeeeeeeeee.

or overpriced?

Can I say everybody? :D But seriously, almost everybody, including probably 3 of the 4 upcoming guys from the beginning of my post. Most of their reps don't know how to scale their prices. Yes, that insanely great cover may be worth $3K, but that doesn't mean the 6 panel page is worth $500. I get that the same amount of work went into it, but when pricing things to sell you have to consider the desirability of the piece. Of course, this really doesn't hurt them because it's better to "price high" sell a few pieces, then have an inventory for new suckers entering the market. (hey, I was one of those suckers) Probably every new artists' fear is pricing too low, selling everything, and losing out on potential revenue.

It would almost be easier to ask who's priced right, but right now I can't think of an example of anyone priced right across the board. Time to start that thread.

I love Vatche Mavlian! He's got a slightly cartoony style, but the line work of Frazetta or Williamson. He tends to stick to indy stuff, but did the Spider-Man and Wolverine mini series a few years ago.

I think that like Powell, if he would do any kind of a stint on a big 2 book, this guy would be a rock star.

While posting on whether Randy Green/Aaron Lopresti/Joyce Chin will ever climb to "the next level", another thought occurred to me (and I was afraid, if I didn't post it now, it would nag at me):

Who do you think will be the next hot comic book artist...and who do you think is overrated or overpriced?

Overpriced: I forget which Kubert, maybe Andy? whoever did Batman. I also think Benes is overpriced. No offense to Court, just my opinion.

I love Vatche Mavlian! He's got a slightly cartoony style, but the line work of Frazetta or Williamson. He tends to stick to indy stuff, but did the Spider-Man and Wolverine mini series a few years ago

(thumbs u Fell in love with his work after that mini series. Would love to pick up a page from it.

Ivan Reis - He's been on a book (GL) that's been getting hotter and hotter. And he's really stepped up his game to match. Looking forward to seeing him keep it going.

I have to agree about Reis. And when, exactly, did this guy get good? I remember when he first hit the comic book world and I had very little interest in him. That has definitely changed. And I do think that Alex Ross will be remembered for his work, even if he stopped working the comics' field tomorrow --but I seem to lack all desire to collect a Ross' original.

I'm not a fan of big-money artist Greg Horn but he's a love 'im or hate 'im kind of artist. I don't love 'im.

Hal -

Nice thread.

I'm viewing the question as asking about someone who is not hot now, but soon will be and has not spent alot of time in the industry. Thus, my votes for next hot artists both meet these two criteria :

Near term next hot artist - Shane Davis.

Long term next hot artist - Eric Basaldua.

But don't take my word for it, check their work out for yourself.

There's some nice examples of Shane Davis's work in the CAF of Chris Somma.

Basaldua examples can be found in the CAFs of TC Art Collector, Richard Boom and Artemaria (myself).

Best.

- A

Its his name, like being named Ted Williams Jr. and selling memorabilia.

More like Dom Dimaggio......had a few nice hits of his own.

C

I agree. Must have sucked being on your brother's rival team, and getting whooped most of the time.

I'm viewing the question as asking about someone who is not hot now, but soon will be and has not spent alot of time in the industry.

That's how I meant the question. I was hoping to find the next James Jean...before he started charging James Jean's current art prices. It's not all about money, mind you; it's about finding great OA and being allowed to collect and display it before it goes out of the average guy's price range.

(Not that "new" is always a saving grace. When I first saw Simone Bianchi's work, I instantly tracked down the cover that had attracted me...saw the price tag, passed out, and was revived two days later.)

I like Shane Davis but I see such a strong Jim Lee-influence in what he does that, on a couple of his covers, I first thought Lee had been the artist. (Take a look at Superman/Batman #44, for instance.) I don't know that you can become the next OA fave rave if your style isn't distinctive.

And Eric Basaldua is a talent to watch, absolutely. But can he hit the collector's radar if he remains on small-label comics? His Monster Wars stuff is great (is anyone reading Monster Wars?) and he's been doing work for Virgin Comics. Put him on a Marvel title, I think we'd all be talking about him.

For full disclosure - I do NOT own any artwork by Reis but I think he snuck up on everyone because he was on a lower circulation title like GL. He started off clearly influenced by Alan Davis before coming out into his own style. Same as Bryan Hitch.

The Sinestro Wars cross over into the GL title gave Reis the exposure he needed. His prices doubled overnight.

Fans are always impressed if an artist can handle a team book because it takes additional talent to keep track of all the different characters and uniforms while maintaining a deadline.

I'll refrain from commenting on other artists whose work I own.

Cheers!

N