• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Next Hot Artist

27 posts in this topic

Who do you think will be the next hot comic book artist...and who do you think is overrated or overpriced?

Oh, "MF" (aka, Chris Vickers), without a doubt! His artwork's unforgettable (in the same way a vintage Ed Wood movie commands your attention) . . . once seen, never forgotten.

His art is . . . uhm . . . priceless.

879jl9f.jpg

"This is the first of hopefully many pin ups of DC Comics babes to compliment my Marvel Pin-Ups. Personally, I think she turned out really cute! Don't you agree?" . . . Chris Vickers

Ivan Reis - He's been on a book (GL) that's been getting hotter and hotter. And he's really stepped up his game to match. Looking forward to seeing him keep it going.

I have to agree about Reis. And when, exactly, did this guy get good? I remember when he first hit the comic book world and I had very little interest in him. That has definitely changed.

And BAM...this little late Christmas gift by Ivan Reis was in the mail today. :cloud9:

IvanReisSinestro.jpg

I love Vatche Mavlian! He's got a slightly cartoony style, but the line work of Frazetta or Williamson. He tends to stick to indy stuff, but did the Spider-Man and Wolverine mini series a few years ago.

I love Vatche also. He is working on independent Moonstone's Phantom title, but because he is based in Canada is under the radar. Other previously "no names" from Canada include John Byrne, Todd, Matt Wagner, Travis Charest. (worship)

Ivan Reis - He's been on a book (GL) that's been getting hotter and hotter. And he's really stepped up his game to match. Looking forward to seeing him keep it going.

I have to agree about Reis. And when, exactly, did this guy get good? I remember when he first hit the comic book world and I had very little interest in him. That has definitely changed.

And BAM...this little late Christmas gift by Ivan Reis was in the mail today. :cloud9:

IvanReisSinestro.jpg

I think that's my second favorite behind the goblin queen.

does ebas have a rep or sells his own art?

From what I understand he sells his art at conventions (this may have changed, I don't know).

I found my piece on the 'Bay, but I've not seen too many nice pieces from him pop up there.

Good luck!

- A

For full disclosure - I do NOT own any artwork by Reis but I think he snuck up on everyone because he was on a lower circulation title like GL. He started off clearly influenced by Alan Davis before coming out into his own style. Same as Bryan Hitch.

The Sinestro Wars cross over into the GL title gave Reis the exposure he needed. His prices doubled overnight.

Fans are always impressed if an artist can handle a team book because it takes additional talent to keep track of all the different characters and uniforms while maintaining a deadline.

I'll refrain from commenting on other artists whose work I own.

Cheers!

N

I accidently discovered Ivan Reis when he was doing fill-in work (an not getting credit) for work on Infinite Crisis Ivans pages click here. Fantastic attention to detail!