• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying the label 101

26 posts in this topic

Why in the world would someone pay this much for this book?

eBay

The 9.4 that ended last week at least had a nice square cut.

Overpriced, but a high QP.

This one however, is so crooked I wouldn't pay 1/4 of the bid for it.

So, take notes if you're trying to learn how to buy labels.

This one was insanity at it's finest.

If they ever make the Ghost Rider movie, I'll never get a nice copy!

sorry.gif

Wait till after the movie comes out. No sense in buying one now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess I have to find a nice raw one if I want one before the movie.

I picked up a nice GR1 a few months ago raw.

There's still a chance of Spotlight 5 raw in nice shape for less than a slabbed one.

No way would I touch a slabbed one now.

It's almost as bad as ASM 129.

Wait till after the movie comes out. No sense in buying one now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Exactly! The only reason people are paying through the nose now, is because they are impatient. Remember that MS 5 was a DOA book not that long ago, and will probably be that way soon enough.

Exactly! The only reason people are paying through the nose now, is because they are impatient. Remember that MS 5 was a DOA book not that long ago, and will probably be that way soon enough.

I remember first coming on this board and the ONLY forumite talking about actively chasing an MS 5 was murph0 - he'd probably do well selling off his inferior dupes now...

JC, you got that Puny-Sir picture handy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure,but I'll post it repeatedly as the movie comes near. And just wait for the trailer.... tonofbricks.gif

The funniest thing about that movie is the slugline.

"The Punishment Begins Summer 2004"

That's about the time everyone realizes how much the movie sucks and tries to get the money back that they stupidly put into their ASM 129.

Yeah. That's gona be punishment.

insane.gif

The Punishment Begins, indeed. tonofbricks.gif

Now people laughed at me when I recommended they sell their Hulk 181's during the X2 movie hype and re-buy an upgraded issue - when they could have sold an 8.0/8.5 and bought a 9.2 now. 27_laughing.gif

I am now going to recommend those with ASM 129 CGC 8.0-9.0 comics put them on EBay with market high BINs and then stick the money in a sock. Wait for the trailers and pre-release pics of this crapfest to emerge and then re-buy a higher grade copy for the same money.

It's easy as pie, and the opportunity to upgrade your 8.0 to a 9.2/9.4 awaits.

I noticed this in the sellers listing:

"CGC GRADED BOOKS ARE SOLD ON A NONRETURNABLE BASIS."

Why is this? I see this in so many of the CGC listings. I would think a seller should be willing to accept returns on CGC books as they would know they were getting back the book they sent?

Is it that they "know" they got a generous grade and want to sell it nonreturnable on eBay since they would have a hard time selling it in person.

Or is it that too many buyers are buying 9.4's and thinking they might be able to resubmit it for a higher grade and if they think they can't they'll just return the book.

Who would buy a book through the mail if they couldn't return it if they weren't happy? Is that a standard practice for people buying/selling CGC books?

I'm just wondering because I don't buy high grade CGC books. However, I recently got back some high grade books I sent down to CGC in order to sell them on eBay and I was wondering if I need to put a non-returnable clause in my listings. Although, on principle, I think people should have to return books if they are not happy with them, and am reluctant to have a "no return" policy.

Gary J.

ECFANMAN

Why is this?

Just an opinion, but when you buy a comic - well - you are buying a specific book and, barring scams like reprints passed off as originals, the only real return criteria is most usually based on grade. The seller feels that since they did not grade the book but CGC did grade it, they should not be responsible for another collector's interpretation of CGCs grade.

I noticed this in the sellers listing:

"CGC GRADED BOOKS ARE SOLD ON A NONRETURNABLE BASIS."

Why is this?

Buyer Remorse.

Many sappers buy the comic, get their CC bill and think "I spent $1200 on a freaking comic", then try and return it. When you're dealing with big-ticket items, there is a HUGE potential for buyers to rethink their "investment" and want to jump ship soon after.

So ...would you guys advise now as being the time to sell my MS 5 9.2 ???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure, sell it now and then sock the money away and buy a CGC 9.4 later with the proceeds. I cannot believe more of you "experts" aren't playing the movie hype.

Oh yeah, remember when you all laughed at me for saying the same thing about Hulk 181? Well by my calculations, anyone could have turned a CGC 8.0/8.5 copy then, into a CGC 9.2 copy now.

i watched the punisher with dolph lundgren last night again since a long time, and it's not that bad. my question is, was it made for TV? it had the breaks like it does for TV, not to mention no bad language. but the movie is not a one star movie, it totally has the comic book feel in the movie. it's not great, but it's not bad either. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif