• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Working For CGC

109 posts in this topic

My wife brought this up out of the blue the other day and asked me would I consider working for CGC, and doing what I love best, which is being near comics all day long lol

I actually always wondered about it once I retire from my current profession.

So maybe the boys from CGC can chime in with what the process would be in joining the team hm

Has anyone else ever considered joining CGC?

As you can tell, I am bored as all hell and have not been able to work for 3 weeks and counting :cry:

Funny you say that your wife brought it up since my GF has mentioned the same thing to me in the past." If you still dont know what you want to do with your life, why dont you go work for CGC since you love comics? " A couple of friends have asked me the same question. Not sure what qualifications you need to join the team?

I would think working there would make you not want to be around comics in your spare time (which might be a good thing...., :think: ).

I always thought I wanted to own a comic shop when I was growing up. Now I realize that I couldn't stand to be around all the geeks, day in and day out, and that it would probably ruin the hobby for me (which might be a good thing...., :think: ).

While I'm sure that CGC would be great company to work for, and that Steve takes good care of everyone, it doesn't sound like it would necessarily be all that enjoyable to a collector. I mean, think about it --- it's fun and exciting to be a customer with the anticipation of getting back the newly-graded comics, the delight at seeing the blue labels (whew, no resto, etc). But, how long could you spend each day, counting pages in a big stack of modern submissions and tallying spine ticks, before you went a little nuts? :insane:

We (the customers) are such a whiny, demanding bunch of dorks lol I would HATE to be under pressure to quickly pre-screen 100 copies of Superpro #3 for those elusive 9.8 candidates . . .

It would be neat to see Timely or Plitch or someone chime in!

I think maybe its time for an East coast branch of CGC hm,

some training and hiring and we will get those submissions rolling in and out :banana:

It might be a little fun for a little while. Then it becomes a job like most with restrictions on your collecting. If I remember correctly, you can't buy slabbed books or sell just about anything.

I had a very snarky post typed, but I deleted it. I hope you both find career paths that both enlighten you and fulfill your needs. Shalom. jsmile027.gif
A kinder, gentler Doc. :cloud9:

Go on and post it :baiting:

I have a career but in my field I realisticaly have about 10 years left before I can longer physically do the work :blush:

In 10 years wont you be recieving Social Security?

Goof :makepoint:

in 10 years I will be 57, besides I am self-employed and when SS rolls around I wont get enough to make a car payment per month :censored:

Thank goodness for my wife :cloud9:

I kind of like the idea of working in comics, but probably only as something on the side. I think that's part of why I've tooled around with the notion of when/if I get into a Ph.D. program of designing a course involving non-traditional forms of literature (movies, comics, etc).