• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long is too long for a con sketch?

32 posts in this topic

I commissioned (and paid for) a sketch from Suydam almost two months ago...nothing really elaborate. I'm just curious how long one should wait before inquiring? I know he's a busy guy...I'm just curious how long you guys would wait before asking about it since this is uncharted territory for me.

Two years ago I commissioned a head sketch from Mark Texeira at the Baltimore Comic Con. I put 50% down and the other half was to be paid when he finished. Ultimately, he never got around to doing it :frustrated: and wound up giving me his contact info stating that he would complete it at home and mail it to me. Long story short, after almost two years I have yet to receive anything (shrug). Looking back I should have just asked for my money back. If Suydam took your cash for the commission, the least he can do is give you a time frame as to when it will be finished (if he didn't already do so) or send you your money back. My 2c

Two years ago I commissioned a head sketch from Mark Texeira at the Baltimore Comic Con. I put 50% down and the other half was to be paid when he finished. Ultimately, he never got around to doing it :frustrated: and wound up giving me his contact info stating that he would complete it at home and mail it to me. Long story short, after almost two years I have yet to receive anything (shrug). Looking back I should have just asked for my money back. If Suydam took your cash for the commission, the least he can do is give you a time frame as to when it will be finished (if he didn't already do so) or send you your money back. My 2c

That's basically the situation...I was behind about 3 other ppl on the sketch list at the end of the show, so he said he'd mail it.

Took 2 years for Mike Kaluta pen/ink sketch that turned out to be a wonderful illo but long wait. 50% down, paid balance after 1 year as incentive for him to complete the commissioned illo. Satisfied customer after 2 years. :golfclap:

Took 2 years for Mike Kaluta pen/ink sketch that turned out to be a wonderful illo but long wait. 50% down, paid balance after 1 year as incentive for him to complete the commissioned illo. Satisfied customer after 2 years. :golfclap:

Is that unusual or the norm? I don't mind waiting...just trying to get a feel for how long is reasonable.

Oh, I don't know, shouldn't a con sketch be completed by the end of the con? What a concept! Honestly, I never understood why we put up with artists who take money and don't deliver for unreasonable periods of time.

Contact him immediately since he probably already forgot about your commission after 2 months.

From my experience, most artists will not accept any money until after the drawing is finished. They collect the money when you pick up the artwork.

I have to agree with Hari. A con sketch should be completed at the end of the convention. Check the convention guest lists across the country. You'll see a lot of artists touring the country (including Suydam) continuing to take on commissions while ignoring yours.

For future reference.....The artist should refund any money taken. If an artist refuses to refund the money, contact convention security immediately and file a police report. If that doesn't embarass the artist, nothing will.

I hear the horror stories all the time. If this happened on ebay, wouldn't you ask the seller for a refund if they did not deliver?

Cheers!

N

You guys pay for con sketches?

These ain't no backer board scribbles we're talkin' about boy.....

mt1131519646.jpg

I'll give an artist' point of view -

First off, e-mail him as you plan on doing. You are doing the right thing. Even though

artist' are a different breed than normal people (yep, I'm including myself) artist' should

be as professional as any other business ; customer relations is key.

I am asking for half the amount before beginning (I recently got screwed on a

commission).

A professional will give you a completion time frame. On one of my commissions I was late 7 days

and e-mailed the client about the reason, and completed the commission at that time.

If it will take a month, so be it, at least the client knows when to expect the illos. (short for illustration).

mt1131519646.jpg

Hey man, I guess I just know how to work famous people living minutes from Hollywood!

Exhibit A:

GRploog.jpg

Now that is truly a sketch. So many of the postings on CAF say sketch when they are really

drawings.

Kenny... I'm still waiting on my piece from Mitch but I've emailed him a few times and he said his wife is on top of it... (I bet she's on top of "it" cause she was kinda cute) hm

Also, I never did get around to emailing Arthur the Vampi sketch he did for me even though he wrote his email address on the back of it.

mt1131519646.jpg

Hey man, I guess I just know how to work famous people living minutes from Hollywood!

Exhibit A:

GRploog.jpg

Now that is truly a sketch. So many of the postings on CAF say sketch when they are really

drawings.

:acclaim:

Signed by the both co-creators.

mt1131519646.jpg

Exhibit A:

GRploog.jpg

drawings.

:acclaim:

Signed by the both co-creators.

I can't make out the inker's name. Who is it? Oops doh!

Too early in the morning. Very nice sigs. (thumbs u

I commissioned (and paid for) a sketch from Suydam almost two months ago...nothing really elaborate. I'm just curious how long one should wait before inquiring? I know he's a busy guy...I'm just curious how long you guys would wait before asking about it since this is uncharted territory for me.

At the Baltimore con, Chris (ffcomics) and I were first in line for Suydam sketches, and each got one, but he didn't have ours finished until almost the end of the day....many hours later. There were a lot of people on the sketch list after us that probably didn't get their work done by the end of the con. If he tends to be that slow at all conventions, it's possible that it could still be a while. It couldn't hurt to shoot him an email.....

Good luck! :)