• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long is too long for a con sketch?

32 posts in this topic

I commissioned (and paid for) a sketch from Suydam almost two months ago...nothing really elaborate. I'm just curious how long one should wait before inquiring? I know he's a busy guy...I'm just curious how long you guys would wait before asking about it since this is uncharted territory for me.

Patience is a virue!

You guys pay for con sketches?

These ain't no backer board scribbles we're talkin' about boy.....

mt1131519646.jpg

Hey man, I guess I just know how to work famous people living minutes from Hollywood!

Exhibit A:

GRploog.jpg

Everyone knows Ploog does free sketches, don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I commissioned (and paid for) a sketch from Suydam almost two months ago...nothing really elaborate. I'm just curious how long one should wait before inquiring? I know he's a busy guy...I'm just curious how long you guys would wait before asking about it since this is uncharted territory for me.

Patience is a virue!

You know...when I started this thread, I was wondering how long it would take that phrase to pop up :roflmao:

Two years ago I commissioned a head sketch from Mark Texeira at the Baltimore Comic Con. I put 50% down and the other half was to be paid when he finished. Ultimately, he never got around to doing it :frustrated: and wound up giving me his contact info stating that he would complete it at home and mail it to me. Long story short, after almost two years I have yet to receive anything (shrug). Looking back I should have just asked for my money back. If Suydam took your cash for the commission, the least he can do is give you a time frame as to when it will be finished (if he didn't already do so) or send you your money back. My 2c

You never contacted him about it or what?.. Or gone to another convention and go hey wheres my sketch from two years ago? :D Its not like they would remember you but it would be worth a shot :S

Patience is a virue!

You know...when I started this thread, I was wondering how long it would take that phrase to pop up :roflmao:

The sad things is that both of these guys have the same rep handling their workload. meh

Patience is a virue!

The sad things is that both of these guys have the same rep handling their workload. meh

Ya, I knew what I was possibly getting into when I did it, but hopefully the result will be better than what he did for your MVS project :baiting: To be fair, he did also give me a freebie sketch, when everyone else I was in line with paid for similar ones.

Two years ago I commissioned a head sketch from Mark Texeira at the Baltimore Comic Con. I put 50% down and the other half was to be paid when he finished. Ultimately, he never got around to doing it :frustrated: and wound up giving me his contact info stating that he would complete it at home and mail it to me. Long story short, after almost two years I have yet to receive anything (shrug). Looking back I should have just asked for my money back. If Suydam took your cash for the commission, the least he can do is give you a time frame as to when it will be finished (if he didn't already do so) or send you your money back. My 2c

You never contacted him about it or what?.. Or gone to another convention and go hey wheres my sketch from two years ago? :D Its not like they would remember you but it would be worth a shot :S

I did via e-mail. Responded only once stating that when he had 5 minutes of free time meh in that weekend (November something of 2006) that he would draw it and send it out. Keep in mind that the convention was in held in September 2006 and he had my contact info as well. In total I e-mailed him no more than 6 times in the course of 8 months and only I received that one response and no sketch. I just gave up as I'm not one to hound people and he was advertised to be at the 2007 Baltimore Con so I figured I'd just go up to him and get my cash back. He wound up no showing at the BMore con. Oh well. (shrug)

Oh, I don't know, shouldn't a con sketch be completed by the end of the con? What a concept!

:D

Honestly, I never understood why we put up with artists who take money and don't deliver for unreasonable periods of time.

sure can make a bad situation - it's totally understandable if an artist wants some $ up front to show your commitment to buying - and patience definitely is a virtue as they can take a long time - but at worst, when an artist starts lying and won't return your emails, it sure is hard to be patient - talk about a major disappointment when an artist you really like turns out to be a deadbeat.

Oh, I don't know, shouldn't a con sketch be completed by the end of the con? What a concept!

:D

Honestly, I never understood why we put up with artists who take money and don't deliver for unreasonable periods of time.

sure can make a bad situation - it's totally understandable if an artist wants some $ up front to show your commitment to buying - and patience definitely is a virtue as they can take a long time - but at worst, when an artist starts lying and won't return your emails, it sure is hard to be patient - talk about a major disappointment when an artist you really like turns out to be a deadbeat.

This attitude has changed a lot over the last 10 years. I was almost lynched by the Comicart-L back in the late 90's, when I complained about a 18 month wait on a simple commission. I was bombarded with the "you don't want to rush the artist", "let them take their time & you will receive a masterpiece" comments. I tried to explain that the artist was going to knock this piece out over a 3 hour period & it had been promised in a 1 month time frame. It finally came down to me threatening to file a mail fraud claim against him. I received the piece within a week of sending that e-mail. Good luck getting your art...

Mark

This attitude has changed a lot over the last 10 years. I was almost lynched by the Comicart-L back in the late 90's, when I complained about a 18 month wait on a simple commission. I was bombarded with the "you don't want to rush the artist", "let them take their time & you will receive a masterpiece" comments. I tried to explain that the artist was going to knock this piece out over a 3 hour period & it had been promised in a 1 month time frame. It finally came down to me threatening to file a mail fraud claim against him. I received the piece within a week of sending that e-mail. Good luck getting your art...

Mark

in the end did the artwork meet your expectations? do you still own it?

Mark

in the end did the artwork meet your expectations? do you still own it?

Yeah, the artwork met my expectations & I still own it. It also led to my quitting getting commissions done. The amount really wasn't an issue, it was just so frustrating being lied to every few months when I would e-mail him. It's a strange situation to be a huge fan of an "artist" but then having to deal with the "person" & finding out you really don't like them at all. I am very happy I got the piece as the artist has basically left the comic business. I also realize now, that I had the piece commissioned at a point when he was fed up with the business & was moving on. So...very happy to have the art-wouldn't go through it again.