• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goon #20

4 posts in this topic

Got the issue and loved it. A return to form after a couple of lackluster issues. Is it as good as the best GOON stories? No. But as the reviewer himself concedes, it's still better than most comics out there. Besides, this issue is worth it for the art alone. There's a new colorist on board, Dave Stewart, and he's worked some magic here. I never realized a colorist could make that much difference, but there you go.

Has anyone read CHINATOWN? Powell was working hard on that all last year (which is probably why the two regular issues that did come out were not up to his usual standards). Nice to see a creator challenge himself and take some chances.

i bought it, off the rack, but haven't read it. [hey, once in a while I need to buy a non-dollar box book] maybe I will right now. i was so shocked to see it given that it has been a long time and the shop had it in a weird place.

Got the issue and loved it. A return to form after a couple of lackluster issues. Is it as good as the best GOON stories? No. But as the reviewer himself concedes, it's still better than most comics out there. Besides, this issue is worth it for the art alone. There's a new colorist on board, Dave Stewart, and he's worked some magic here. I never realized a colorist could make that much difference, but there you go.

Has anyone read CHINATOWN? Powell was working hard on that all last year (which is probably why the two regular issues that did come out were not up to his usual standards). Nice to see a creator challenge himself and take some chances.

I enjoyed it. Looking forward to more issues in future months. I know he likes doing self-contained stories. I wonder if there will be some in future issues now that it's monthly again?

I read Chinatown and liked it. BUT, I think it might have been better to have focused entirely on the Chinatown back story and make it more complex, than to have the two storylines interwoven. As a result, the Chinatown story was fairly short and straight-forward. Making the entire book about the Chinatown would have allowed for more complexity and fleshing out the characters. But I understand why he told the story how he did and it was a good read.