• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Artist For Sinister House of Secret Love

61 posts in this topic

Hey all dont know if this interests anyone I thought I would post it. I have always been a fan of the Bronze D.C. Covers that Had the Gothic themes. I think They were really cool and they finally seem to be getting a little respect in recent years. You know, the Sinister House Of Secret Love, and The Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, among a few others.

Well I allways wondered who did the art to that first issue and could never find the info any where. Most People assumed it Was Neal Adams. I had the opportunity to pick up a Production peice from the JACK ADLER collection that Finally answered my question.

This is a piece of Acetate that was used in the production of that Cool first issue. Evidently this was how the production staff took a large piece of painted art and reduced it to Comic size. I am still researching the exact process used.

If any one can direct me to more info on this process that would be really cool.

Any way if you look to the right of the bridge below the Castle you will see the Artists Name. This is not visible in the finished comic cover but you can see it here.

The Artist is Victor Kalin. He did a lot of Gothic Book covers and a Few Pulps in the 50s thru the 70s.

Any way maybe this is something a few of you all ready know But I am guessing maybe most dont know this. I certainly have never found the information and was pleased to find this out by Buying this piece.

scan0014-1.jpg

On a side note Jeff Jones is credited with doing the original cover art to the second issue of this series. I know the person who owns the original oil painting and it is not Jeff Jones sig on the painting. It looks like a Jerome Podins Or maybe Enrique something. If the Owner allows it I will See if I can Post a Pic.

I just feel the correct artist should be credited on these peices.

True, but irrelevant insofar as Jones (I'll drop the honorific) draws & paints some of the most beautiful women of any illustrator/painter in the past 40 years.

looks to me that what you have is a photographic negative that was shot from the original artwork. Thats what was always done then....they would shoot the art, and then shoot the "mechanical" with all the graphics; and overlay them to make a "combination print" in which the artwork was merged with the artwork, eithwr dropped out (to white or a color) or surprinted over the image.

Its done the exact same way now, except the scan of the artwork is mixed with the type and other grapjics in a software program.

The red tape was used because red photographs as b;ack: so when exposed, this negative will end with a nice clean rectangular shape withing pure white.

Now, if I aint lying, its part eggplant!

Gosh :o Just look at her face. The composition is very nice, but this piece is all about her face & hands for me. Very special stuff here.

Very cool info! I just did a reverse image of it quickly in photoshop to see the positive side.

Ya know, I never realized that the castle was surrounded by water (I thought it was just mist) or that the girl was running down a dock/bridge till you showed the OA negative. The coloring on the printed cover was just too dark.

Ya know, I never realized that the castle was surrounded by water (I thought it was just mist) or that the girl was running down a dock/bridge till you showed the OA negative. The coloring on the printed cover was just too dark.

Waaaay too dark & murky.

I've always admired this cover but this thread made me feel like I was seeing it for the first time, subconsciously at least.

I didn't know why. Now I do.

Not only are you right on about the the details you note, but take a look at her face on the book also, the detail about which I made such a big before BZ posted the book; you'll see on the comic that you can't even see her right eye!! What a disservice to the art & image!! (tsk)