• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,217 posts in this topic

And the group shot:

ASGroup.jpg

NICE! Maybe I'll have to do an updated group shot... hm. I'm about six issues away from completing the Gernsback AMAZING run, and one issue away from a complete Science Wonder run.

That's a lot of sheets on that there bed (thumbs u

One can never have enough bedsheets. :cloud9:

Ryan, looking forward to your updated Paul groupshot. I've kind of lost my focus on collecting AS as I've been mainly going after REH stuff over the past year, but the recent discussions here are giving me the itch again. I'd still like to finish the 1926 issues and pick up a few other keys like the HPL and WotW isues at some point.

And the group shot:

ASGroup.jpg

GREAT stuff there, Jeff! :cloud9:

I've got another batch of AS bedsheets coming in, hoping to boost my emerging collection and also help RyanH fill some holes in his. :wishluck:

And the group shot:

ASGroup.jpg

GREAT stuff there, Jeff! :cloud9:

I've got another batch of AS bedsheets coming in, hoping to boost my emerging collection and also help RyanH fill some holes in his. :wishluck:

Cool, lmk what you have left (if anything) after you and Ryan get you want. (thumbs u

Cool, lmk what you have left (if anything) after you and Ryan get you want. (thumbs u

Copy - there's 4 dozen AS bedsheets in the collection, and I'm getting them in batches of 12 at a time. Really don't know what I'm getting till I open the packages. :wishluck:

I attended the Windy City pulp show today and I saw dozens of bedsheets. I saw multiple copies of all the cool Brundage WTs and just about any pulp you wanted to see.

The crowd was old white guys.

I fit right in.

:makepoint:

It was a lot of fun though and I ran into many old friends: Bob and Phyllis Weinberg, Ray Walsh, John Cosgriff, Terry O'Neill, Jamie Graham, George Hagenauer and Gary Gianni. Gary's Prince Valiant book is wonderful! He did a fantastic sketch on the title page for me.

I also met David Saunders who signed a copy of his book on his dad. He also had the Ward book there. We chatted about his dad and his labors of love. He said the price of the book barely covers the printing costs. He went on to say that he's not much of a businessman, but he's not in it for the money. Real nice guy.

I attended the Windy City pulp show today and I saw dozens of bedsheets. I saw multiple copies of all the cool Brundage WTs and just about any pulp you wanted to see.

Aargh, if you go back tomorrow see if you can get some deals on those Brundage WT's (if in solid shape and the paper is decent) and :takeit:!!

Found a couple of bedsheets in a used bookstore I frequent every couple of weeks and picked up the October 1926 and March 1930 issues of Amazing Stories for $15 a pop. The 1926 issue has some spine issues (the cover is attached, but only by a few threads, about 4" along the spine). The 1930 issue is pretty solid, both issues have pretty good page quality and the 1930 issue has pretty good eye appeal. I probably shouldn't be buying stuff like this until I get a bit more experienced, but figured I couldn't go too wrong here.

AmazingStories-26-10.jpg

AmazingStories-30-03.jpg

Aargh, if you go back tomorrow see if you can get some deals on those Brundage WT's (if in solid shape and the paper is decent) and :takeit:!!

Sorry, Steve. I didn't go back...

Just got back from meeting with the guy selling his grandfather's Amazing Stories. He was an interesting person, an unemployed astrophysicist that tutors college students at the University of Arizona here (his grandfather was a chemist). Due to the lack of jobs in his field, he's finding himself having to sell these books, though there are some that he won't part with. A nice guy and fun to chat with about the history of the books. I ended up purchasing three from him today, the two I asked about earlier (Aug and Sep 1926) and the other is March 1928. I'm no expert, but the page quality on these is fantastic, IMO. There are subtle flaws in the examples he brought with him, but overall looked very nice. I do plan on picking up some more from him on a gradual basis since I don't really have the capital to make him an offer on all of them.

Here are the three I picked up today. The first one is pretty beat up, but the other two are pretty tight. I loved the cover of the 1928 issue.

AmazingStories-26-08.jpg

AmazingStories-26-09.jpg

AmazingStories-28-03.jpg