• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,266 posts in this topic

The factory printing process on pulps is was very inconsistent.

Basically they took a cover and glued it to an interior. Sometimes the overhangs are equal on all sides. Sometimes they are flush length-wise on the front cover and thus have a much larger overhang (lengthwise) on the back cover, and vice versa. The same could take pace with the overhangs on the top and bottom of the pulp. If the pulps are in the era where there definately are overhangs and they are flush on the front and back cover (along the length), or flush on both the top and the bottom, then you probably have trimming (and it was done alot especially along the front length and even along the bottom of the FC as they would display them standing up).

Remember, the size of the overhang various from publisher to publisher and the era that they were printed in.

It definately affects the value, and I personally hate any type of trimming.

Dwight

Nice summary (thumbs u

Note the bottom edge where Brundage's sig is cut off. It may just be this one issue and the seller missed it, but if you bought from this collection I would recommend checking it against a scan of another copy.

wttrimmed.jpg

My copy is flush at the top and right but with slight overhang at the bottom edge. For this issue it is reasonable to expect slight overhang at either top or bottom.

WeirdTales_38_05.jpg

Note the bottom edge where Brundage's sig is cut off. It may just be this one issue and the seller missed it, but if you bought from this collection I would recommend checking it against a scan of another copy.

wttrimmed.jpg

My copy is flush at the top and right but with slight overhang at the bottom edge. For this issue it is reasonable to expect slight overhang at either top or bottom.

WeirdTales_38_05.jpg

When the bottom overhang is folded out all the way is all of brundage's signature visible?

Beautiful copy, btw!

There is one character pulp I'm trying to put together a full run on, though, and I'm about 2/3 of the way there. It's one that doesn't seem to have got a lot of love in this thread, though. Let me correct that with a few of my copies.

Op511.jpg

Thanks for posting these OP 5's OtherEric ... this cover in particular grabbed me. The monstrous figure almost looks photoshopped in, he pops so much!

I agree these pulps don't get much love, but are fantastic nonetheless. J N Howitt (the cover artist) was a genius.

Here are the three Weird Tales where Conan actually appeared on the cover. I find it interesting how Brundage's original interpretation of the character is so different from the later and more well-known interpretations by Frazetta, Smith, Buscema, Nord, et al.

Weird Tales, May 1934

WeirdTalesVol23No5May1934.jpg

Weird Tales Aug 1934

WeirdTalesVol24No2Aug1934-1.jpg

Weird Tales Dec 1935

WeirdTalesVol26No6Dec1935-1.jpg

Hello,

Just picked these cover proofs from an estate in which the owner once worked for or had direct affiliation with Street & Smith. The estate has sold a 1945 Shadow pulp Interior original art piece by Edd Cartier, and has other interior pulp art for sale.

This is a scrap book that was put together by the owner of the estate back in the 1940's. The Scrap book contains original Shadow pulp cover proofs. They are not the tear sheets from a pulp, but rather actual cover proofs with a blank back on each.

There are 48 cover proofs starting from 1941-1944. They were lightly glued in but now are loose from the paper, and have no damage at all.

Dwight

DSC_1588.jpg

DSC_1590.jpg

DSC_1593.jpg

DSC_1591.jpg

DSC_1594.jpg

DSC_1598.jpg

DSC_1599.jpg

Hello,

Just picked these cover proofs from an estate in which the owner once worked for or had direct affiliation with Street & Smith. The estate has sold a 1945 Shadow pulp Interior original art piece by Edd Cartier, and has other interior pulp art for sale.

This is a scrap book that was put together by the owner of the estate back in the 1940's. The Scrap book contains original Shadow pulp cover proofs. They are not the tear sheets from a pulp, but rather actual cover proofs with a blank back on each.

There are 48 cover proofs starting from 1941-1944. They were lightly glued in but now are loose from the paper, and have no damage at all.

Dwight

Dwight, congratulations on yet another incredible purchase. :applause:

You must be part bloodhound.

Hello,

Dwight

DSC_1588.jpg

DSC_1590.jpg

DSC_1593.jpg

DSC_1591.jpg

DSC_1594.jpg

DSC_1598.jpg

DSC_1599.jpg

Unbelievable Dwight! (worship)

A while back I picked up 2 Rare Shadow B & W Promotional giveaways from 1933 for my collection. They are made from a newsprint type of paper stock.

DSC_1604.jpg

DSC_1603-1.jpg

Also just picked up a nice and very tough to find copy of Phantom Detective #1 circ. 1933.

DSC_1606-1.jpg

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF