• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,212 posts in this topic

Was in New England the past few days on vacation with the family. Stopped off in Providence this morning to say hello to Uncle Howard. :)

Lovecraft's personal stone erected in 1977 by fans.

"I am Providence"

IMG_1424.JPG

Lovecraft's original memorial on the Phillips family monument.

IMG_1426.JPG

Wider view of the Phillips / Lovecraft family plot.

IMG_1428.JPG

Me with my daughter Sarah Jane and Uncle Howard. :)

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

10 Barnes Street — This was Lovecraft’s home from April 1926 to May 1933, the period during which he wrote most of his best known works, including The Call of Cthulhu.

IMG_1445.JPG

Samuel B. Mumford House, 65 Prospect Street - Lovecraft's final home. He lived here from May 1933 until his death in 1937. This house originally stood at 66 College St, but was moved in 1959.

IMG_1448.JPG

interesting information on lovecraft been reading about his life lately thanks for the pics.Lovecraft wrote some great stories but his life was rather unkind to him.

Very cool Todd! :applause:

One thing that amazes me is that the HPL house isn't even on the National Register of Historic Places. One of these days when I get a chance I'll put the nomination together and submit it.

Very cool Todd! :applause:

One thing that amazes me is that the HPL house isn't even on the National Register of Historic Places. One of these days when I get a chance I'll put the nomination together and submit it.

One of the problems is there are several houses, so the significance of any one of them is diluted.

1933-1937 - 65 Prospect St (formerly 66 College St) - the house exists but has been moved from its original location.

1926-1933 - 10 Barnes St - the house exists

1924-1926 - lived in Brooklyn

1904-1924 - 598 Angell St - the house exists

1890-1904 - 454 Angell St - Lovecraft was born here. The house no longer exists.

The Prospect and Barnes St. houses should both have a good shot, as that's where the bulk of his most important works were created (that's more important than were he was born).

The REH house is on the Register. I wonder about the ERB ranch in Tarzana. hm

Was in New England the past few days on vacation with the family. Stopped off in Providence this morning to say hello to Uncle Howard. :)

Lovecraft's personal stone erected in 1977 by fans.

"I am Providence"

IMG_1424.JPG

Lovecraft's original memorial on the Phillips family monument.

IMG_1426.JPG

Wider view of the Phillips / Lovecraft family plot.

IMG_1428.JPG

Me with my daughter Sarah Jane and Uncle Howard. :)

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

10 Barnes Street — This was Lovecraft’s home from April 1926 to May 1933, the period during which he wrote most of his best known works, including The Call of Cthulhu.

IMG_1445.JPG

Samuel B. Mumford House, 65 Prospect Street - Lovecraft's final home. He lived here from May 1933 until his death in 1937. This house originally stood at 66 College St, but was moved in 1959.

IMG_1448.JPG

That is really cool, Todd.

The Prospect and Barnes St. houses should both have a good shot, as that's where the bulk of his most important works were created (that's more important than were he was born).

The REH house is on the Register. I wonder about the ERB ranch in Tarzana. hm

It seems as if Providence isn't aware of Lovecraft. There is virtually no sign of him unless you know where to look. The house at 65 Prospect St has a small sign on it identifying it as the "Samuel Mumford House, 1825".

10 Barnes St works include:

1926 "The Call of Cthulhu", "Pickman's Model", and "The Silver Key"

1926-27 "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath"

1927 "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward", and "The Colour Out of Space"

1928 "The Dunwich Horror"

1929 "The Mound", and "Fungi from Yuggoth"

1930 "The Whisperer in Darkness", "Medusa's Coil", and "A Description of the Town of Quebeck"

1931 "At the Mountains of Madness", and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth"

1932 "The Dreams in the Witch House"

1932-33 "Through the Gates of the Silver Key" (with E. Hoffmann Price)

65 Prospect St works include:

1933 "The Thing on the Doorstep"

1933 The revised, "Supernatural Horror in Literature"

1934-35 "The Shadow Out of Time"

1935 "The Haunter of the Dark"

i was thinking about buying another weird tales 11/35 (shadows in zamboula). it is in nice condition, but it is the canadian version with the square thing slapped right over the naked girl. should i be paying about the same as a similar condition u.s. version, a lot more, a little more, a lot less, a little less?

thanks in advance if you can help.

i was thinking about buying another weird tales 11/35 (shadows in zamboula). it is in nice condition, but it is the canadian version with the square thing slapped right over the naked girl. should i be paying about the same as a similar condition u.s. version, a lot more, a little more, a lot less, a little less?

The Canadian versions are rarer for sure, but still tend to sell for a little less than the US counterparts. That said, this is to me the most interesting of the Canadian reprints because of the censorship box (the others just say printed in Canada). Is that worth paying a little more than a regular Canadian version? Maybe because it's a bit of a curiosity. But in general I think the answer to your question is "A little less."

The Canadian versions are rarer for sure, but still tend to sell for a little less than the US counterparts. That said, this is to me the most interesting of the Canadian reprints because of the censorship box (the others just say printed in Canada). Is that worth paying a little more than a regular Canadian version? Maybe because it's a bit of a curiosity. But in general I think the answer to your question is "A little less."

Personally I would want the American version where you can see the entire uncensored Brundage cover. The censorship box is interesting, but not enough to make that version worth as much as the regular uncensored version.

thanks. good to know. i have the uncensored version and i like the fact that the canadian one is likely rarer (despite the box over the artwork).

Yeah, I would second Todd on that. I wouldn't want the Canadian one in place of American but if you already have the regular version, then it makes a cool rare conversation piece.