• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,213 posts in this topic

thanks. good to know. i have the uncensored version and i like the fact that the canadian one is likely rarer (despite the box over the artwork).

Yeah, I would second Todd on that. I wouldn't want the Canadian one in place of American but if you already have the regular version, then it makes a cool rare conversation piece.

i bought it. hopefully it looks as nice as it did in the pictures :)

This one is coverless, but it's the first appearance of Sailor Steve Costigan. If you've never read Howard's humorous boxing stories, you're really missing out.

I've only read one, "The Fighten'est Pair" (aka "Breed of Battle), but I enjoyed it immensely. (thumbs u

A perfect occasion to pitch the latest offering from the Howard Foundation, with the first (of four) volume covering the entirety of Howard's boxing fiction, with all the pulp stories, plenty rare unpublished stuff and uncensored texts.

And lookit that cover by Tom Gianni!

http://www.rehfoundation.org/2013/04/30/pre-order-fists-of-iron/

Round1-small.jpg

I think I posted that earlier, but here it is in case other people want to see that. It's a tough, tough pulp.

FightStories-1929-07.jpg

That's one great looking pulp (thumbs u

A perfect occasion to pitch the latest offering from the Howard Foundation, with the first (of four) volume covering the entirety of Howard's boxing fiction, with all the pulp stories, plenty rare unpublished stuff and uncensored texts.

And lookit that cover by Tom Gianni!

http://www.rehfoundation.org/2013/04/30/pre-order-fists-of-iron/

Round1-small.jpg

Co-edited, I might add, by own own Xaltotun. ;)

Thanks BZ. :)

I'm working on an article on colonialism in the pulps and reading a lot of Talbot Mundy at the moment -- King of the Khyber Rifles, the Jimgrim stories, etc.

So picking up a tough-to-find El Borak story by REH -- heavily influenced by those Mundy stories -- was a nice coincidence.

Speaking of Mundy's influence on Howard, check out this passage from King of the Khyber Rifles:

"It was minutes before the bodies of two great king-cobras could be made out, moving against the woman's spangled dress. The basket lid was resting on their heads, and as the music and the chanting rose to a wild weird shriek the lid rose too, until suddenly the woman snatched the lid away and the snakes were revealed, with hoods raised, hissing the cobra's hate-song that is prelude to the poison-death.

"They struck at the woman, one after the other, and she leaped out of their range, swift and as supple as they. Instantly then she joined in the dance, with the snakes striking right and left at her. Left and right she swayed to avoid them, far more gracefully than a matador avoids the bull and courting a deadlier peril than he—poisonous, two to his one. As she danced she whirled both arms above her head and cried as the were-wolves are said to do on stormy nights."

And the amazing illustration by Joseph Clement Coll from it's original publication in Everybody's Magazine in 1916-17:

CqBLdJx.jpg

Remind anyone of this:

WeirdTales1935-11fc.jpg