• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do NOT Bid on my ASM CGC books please - books are stolen.

55 posts in this topic

Hello to all. Please do not bid on any of these CGC Amazing Spider-Mans, as they are stolen books.

These books were purchased by a store in Baltimore from a person who walked in with them, who apparently stole them from somebody. That person contacted me yesterday and we are working things out, which is why they are still listed (we're trying to get the thief, as apparently there are more books out there). I may ask one of you to be the "winner" when I cancel the auctions, just so I don't torque somebody off who "wins" them.

Quite the irritation, as at minimum everybody is going to be out some cash. At least the original guy gets his books back.

Would you be willing to share a little bit of the story about how this situation came about?

As well, I'm glad you're getting your books back, and I hope they hang the thief.

Correct.

The books were owned by a guy in the Baltimore area.

The books were stolen by some skeevy looking guy (we didn't know this)

Said skeevy looking guy came into a store that I sell books for and sold them to the store (for a significant sum).

I was given the books to consign, as we both (the owner and myself) felt that they would get more traffic on eBay.

I put the books up.

The original owner contacted me yesterday and clearly proved they were his (gave me the serial numbers of some books that had not been listed yet).

Argh. mad.gif

I guess that's a strong recommendation for having the serial numbers recorded from your books, whether it be in the form of a list or scans...

Hope this works out for you.

I guess that's a strong recommendation for having the serial numbers recorded from your books, whether it be in the form of a list or scans...

I always keep track of the CGC Numbers of the books I buy or sell. It just seems prudent.

It also seems prudent to unslab the books if you're going to steal them and try to sell them.

I always keep track of the CGC Numbers of the books I buy or sell. It just seems prudent.

It also seems prudent to unslab the books if you're going to steal them and try to sell them.

Unless your plan is to report them stolen and get the books and the money... frown.gif

Unless your plan is to report them stolen and get the books and the money... frown.gif

I hate to be a pessimist, but please dot your "i's" and cross your 't's" before sending the books back to anyone. Copy of police report, you signing off on returning the books, confirming the CGC he submitted them (if applicable), etc.

I've seen all kinds, from people who will double-dip (like House stated) to those who will plan "robberies" with buddies, in order to work both ends of the deal. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I have some contacts in the insurance biz and the stories would make your hair turn white. 893whatthe.gif

Question: Did the guy approach the store first, or did he just miraculously "find" your auctions?

Did he tell you how the books got stolen? From his house, or from a con? Police report?

As Joe suggested, there's no way I'd return them without talking to the detective assigned to the report.

Did he tell you how the books got stolen? From his house, or from a con? Police report?

As Joe suggested, there's no way I'd return them without talking to the detective assigned to the report.

news.gifSTOP THE PRESSES! FF and joe_c finally agree on something! 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif27_laughing.gifnews.gif

Well, here's the outcome.

Two detectives PLUS the guy went to the store in Baltimore today and were ornery that the books were not there. They called me at my office and, after much orneriness agreed to come to Northern Virginia to get them. The books were stolen from the guys house (along with many other things).

They came here and took them (matching the serial numbers up to the books) back with the owner of the book. Everything worked out well in the end .

news.gifSTOP THE PRESSES! FF and joe_c finally agree on something! 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif27_laughing.gifnews.gif

Hell, Joe and anyone agreeing is a miracle. I kind of had an agreement with him this morning. 893whatthe.gif