• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay about to end all sniping?

322 posts in this topic

using sniping software sucks. I hope they can end the practice.

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

using sniping software is cheating.

I agree.

Bid the highest you will go, and walk away. Come back when auction ends. If you win, you win. If not, move on.

Sniping is just a sign of immaturity and/or insecurity in knowing the value of what you're biddding on IMO...

And the "I'm lazy" angle doesn't work either....you can place your bid, say, a full day before the end of the auction if you decide you want it and know what to pay for it.

Why does it matter to you when people bid? If it's the most that they want to pay, why would sniping be chating? If you bid your highest and you get outbid, do you just stop bidding?. If yes, why should it matter to you that you get outbid at the end? Or, why not just be honest and say that you didn't bid the highest you're willing to go but want an opportunity to go higher.

Sniping is just a sign of immaturity and/or insecurity in knowing the value of what you're biddding on IMO...

lol

Got sniped a lot did you ?

Rhetorical question? (shrug)

lol

You think so ? (shrug)

lol

You think so ? (shrug)

Yes

lol

You think so ? (shrug)

Yes

:gossip: it was a rhetorical question.

Wow, I am shocked that Ebay is doing this. I really thought they were all for sniping. I personally don't like sniping, but I had no idea I really thought that Ebay was a strong advocate for it. There is even a recent commercial where people are at a Academy awards type of place and the person opens an envelope revealing a young woman had just won the item. I thought that was a veiled reference to all the sniping that takes place on Ebay.

I can't fairly compete without sniping software as most auctions end at 4 AM for me...and even if I stay up, I'm not as fit and dexterous then as I should be to manually snipe (shrug)

Why don't you just decide on a price, and bid it before you go to bed? (shrug)

Because it leaves you open to shilling...especially with the new "hide-IDs" that ebay uses and it shows your hand too early.

Or have bitter bidders bid up their eBay nemesis because their bid is outbid.

I can't fairly compete without sniping software as most auctions end at 4 AM for me...and even if I stay up, I'm not as fit and dexterous then as I should be to manually snipe (shrug)

Because it leaves you open to shilling...especially with the new "hide-IDs" that ebay uses and it shows your hand too early.

True dat... it's not because you are willing to pay over market for stuff you always should have because a couple of haters feel like driving up your bid each time.

In my Ebay favorites, I have a description of the Seller to remind me of what transactions there have been. Next to Ebay seller "greggy" it says, "My Ebay nemesis." lol

True dat...

Yeah, screw the bid the highest you're willing to go and leave at that. There are many factors that may affect your "highest" bid. Factors such as winning too many other auctions or losing some higher priority ones may affect how much you're willing to pay at a certain time. This is not a mail in auction where you have to decide what you're paying up front and sticking with it. Circumstances change and it's just not as simple as bidding early or late. (shrug)

In my Ebay favorites, I have a description of the Seller to remind me of what transactions there have been. Next to Ebay seller "greggy" it says, "My Ebay nemesis." lol

(tsk)

(tsk)

(shrug) You always won when you wanted to.

lol

I've won many items bidding just the way I've described. (shrug)

When I don't win, I don't care. I don't chase items.

Sniping is just irritating.

OK, I just don't get this....

What's the difference between being outbid by a shill and a legitimate bidder? (shrug)

And if the price goes higher than you want to pay, what should you care?

(tsk)

No, I haven't :(

(tsk)

Well first of all, I'm talking about comics . . .

(tsk)

Still, I didn't win the 9.6 Demon 1 from Bobcat. Not that you won but still.

OK, I just don't get this....

What's the difference between being outbid by a shill and a legitimate bidder? (shrug)

And if the price goes higher than you want to pay, what should you care?

Then why should you care when someone outbids you in the last ten seconds or a day earlier? (shrug)

(tsk)

Still, I didn't win the 9.6 Demon 1 from Bobcat. Not that you won but still.

:whistle: