• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone help me on this FF # 1

19 posts in this topic

The book in question is this FF 1

Now, I've been looking at this book, and it looks like a very sharp VG+, but on one of the scans it almost seems like there is a two inch long moisture stain along the upper spine. Does anyone else see this in the scan? And if so, does this book really qualify for a 4.5? I could just email the seller to have him confirm this for me, but instead I wanted to see if anyone else out there also saw the same thing.

Thanks insane.gif

It's an old label and there is lots of writing on it.

It's a poor scan/pic so you can't read it. tongue.gif

Ask the seller what it says.

It will probably state what that brown stuff is.

I'd hazzard a guess: Sunshadow! cool.gif

This is the number: 0117333001

Have someone check the grader's notes if you can't.

Look at this crackhead's version of "guide". Looks like he's really hoping for a 5K sucker to be born.

FANTASTIC FOUR #1

MINT $48,000.00

MINT - $41,600.00

N.MINT/MINT $40,000.00

NEAR MINT + $35,200.00

NEAR MINT $32,000.00

NEAR MINT - $31,040.00

V.FINE/N.MINT $30,400.00

VERY FINE + $28,800.00

VERY FINE $27,200.00

VERY FINE - $22,400.00

FINE/V.FINE $17,600.00

FINE + $12,800.00

FINE $9,600.00

FINE - $6,720.00

V.GOOD/FINE $6,080.00

VERY GOOD + $5,440.00

VERY GOOD $4,800.00

VERY GOOD - $4,160.00

GOOD/V.GOOD $3,520.00

GOOD + $2,880.00

GOOD $2,240.00

GOOD - $1,920.00

FAIR/GOOD $1,600.00

FAIR $960.00

It's an old label and there is lots of writing on it.

It's a poor scan/pic so you can't read it. tongue.gif

I can read the label clearly. All it notes (out of the ordinary) is "'Jack Kirby' written on first page in marker". The PQ is very nice at OW-W.

I don't think there is a stain on it. I think this may be just an example of REALLY bad picture taking. If you look at the different pictures the brown area seems to move around. It could be a shadow that just happens to look like an awful stain. This is another reason why I use a good scanner and not a camera to get my pics.

I'd try to get some more pics from the seller.

I don't think there is a stain on it. I think this may be just an example of REALLY bad picture taking. If you look at the different pictures the brown area seems to move around. It could be a shadow that just happens to look like an awful stain. This is another reason why I use a good scanner and not a camera to get my pics.

Just received an email from the seller, and it is indeed a stain, and there is soiling on the back cover as well. Truely mystifying how this book got a 4.5..... 893frustrated.gif

Well I was looking at this...

5d_3.JPG

Maybe I should have looked at this:

dd_3.JPG

foreheadslap.gif

I'm having a bad day reading auction pages today... sorry.gif

Just received an email from the seller, and it is indeed a stain, and there is soiling on the back cover as well. Truely mystifying how this book got a 4.5..... 893frustrated.gif

Wow! How did this get a 4.5? Could the stain have gotten worse after encapsulation?

Hey folks.

(I sort of hate to bring this up cause I'm having such a off day noticing things correctly.)

Look closely at the pic below:

The "shadow" goes past the book on the left (spine side) and continues through the clear slab. Also on the upper right too...

Maybe he was standing in his light when taking the pic and the shadow is his own body?

Isn't it like the shape of a person holding a camera and hovering over the book to take a picture?

The one on the upper right may be a shadow of something else blocking the light...?

5d_3.JPG

Notice the "stains" seem to be gone from this angle:

9e_1_s.JPG

Aces, the stain that I'm talking about is visible on the second picture that you put up. Blow it up, and look closely at the area along the upper front spine between the "ind" and "the" of the title (and also somewhat lower to the Sue Storms word bubble). Its nearly translucent, but it is indeed a moisture stain, and it looks to occupy 1-2 inches of the spine.

I'm begining to think digital cameras aren't such a good idea for comics.

A scan wouldn't mask defects as much.

After copying the pic on my desktop and lowering the gamma I could see the water stain better.

About 2" long inches from the top corner down.

I bet the top staple is rusty.

Can't tell from this pic...

4e_3.JPG